Who's Ready For A Garden? - Page 58
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Who's Ready For A Garden?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #571
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 444 Times on 257 Posts

Just dropped 35 melons off. Crimson Sweet and Sugar Baby. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1408555910.062406.jpg

Old 08-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #572
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Freezing pesto today. Making it for the winter when we want summer flavor. Easy to do. Ice cube tray, basil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Leave the nuts and cheese out because it will discolor the pesto. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1408565420.982993.jpg

Old 08-20-2014, 10:10 PM   #573
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1178 Times on 755 Posts
Likes Given: 2273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimski View Post
Some critters have been taking bites out of my tomatoes and the plants. Instead of eating the whole tomato they take a bite from each one. Already lost about half the tomatoes. Put my trail cam up yesterday to see who the culprits are and got this photo of these masked bandits having a garden party last night.
You need to get a trap and some Barbeque sauce for those bandits!!!!

Old 08-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #574
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopowerbmx View Post
Freezing pesto today. Making it for the winter when we want summer flavor. Easy to do. Ice cube tray, basil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Leave the nuts and cheese out because it will discolor the pesto. Attachment 149036
I planted some extra plants just to have some extra for the freezer but the dry weather put a hurtin on my crops. I ate good all summer but I never got enough extra to put back anything. I'm so jealousy right now, and it's going to be even worse come January!!!!

Old 08-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #575
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I planted some extra plants just to have some extra for the freezer but the dry weather put a hurtin on my crops. I ate good all summer but I never got enough extra to put back anything. I'm so jealousy right now, and it's going to be even worse come January!!!!

This has been a bad year for everyone. I've talked to a few around here and they all asked me the same question....How did your garden do? Mine sucked..... I was listening to a npr garden show and they said something about , why didn't your hydrangea flower stay tuned for the answer. I listen for an hour and they never told me. I was mad.this was an off year indeed.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:06 PM   #576
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
This has been a bad year for everyone. I've talked to a few around here and they all asked me the same question....How did your garden do? Mine sucked..... I was listening to a npr garden show and they said something about , why didn't your hydrangea flower stay tuned for the answer. I listen for an hour and they never told me. I was mad.this was an off year indeed.
We just never got enough rain. Last year was a flood and this year was drought. Oh well that's mother nature. Next year I want to be set up with rain barrels to collect water from the roof and use that to irrigate. I wanted to do that this past spring but I never got it done, but that will be high on the priority list for next spring. I also want to try straw for mulch to keep the weeds down but also to help keep the ground moist.

And the drought also took a toll on my hydrangeas and everything else I planted for landscaping. I didn't even bother trying to get some grass established in a few bald areas. I would of had to water constantly and that wasn't happening with all the water I was dumping on the garden.

But the great thing about gardening is there is always next year, and each year starts off more promising than the previous.

And mopowerbmx, if you get a chance watch Fork to Fork on you tube. They were doing pesto like you just described and it looked so good. They had a lot of great tips on there but keep in mind it's England and their calendar is just a little off!

Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM   #577
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Starting up a new one. I've planted a few things but the grass has taken over and I can't tell if anything is growing. Disappointed in that one. The picture is all herbs. I'm hoping the restaurant will start buying from me. I've worked in a plot and so crossing fingers the grass doesn't take it over. August sucks. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1409171882.544978.jpg

Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM   #578
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Starting up a new one. I've planted a few things but the grass has taken over and I can't tell if anything is growing. Disappointed in that one. The picture is all herbs. I'm hoping the restaurant will start buying from me. I've worked in a plot and so crossing fingers the grass doesn't take it over. August sucks. Attachment 149508
I'm going to be really curios as to what you learn on the herbs. I did a few herbs this spring but never put in an herb garden. I just couldn't figure out where to put it or how to plant so that I could manage it without spending a bunch of time on it. What I did learn though was that nothing beats fresh herbs! I couldn't believe how much stronger they were than dried herbs and how much more flavor they have. It was like I hadn't even tried real herbs before until I grew a couple.

Please keep us updated on that! And I can't imagine a restaurant not being interested in truly fresh herbs!
Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM   #579
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I'm going to be really curios as to what you learn on the herbs. I did a few herbs this spring but never put in an herb garden. I just couldn't figure out where to put it or how to plant so that I could manage it without spending a bunch of time on it. What I did learn though was that nothing beats fresh herbs! I couldn't believe how much stronger they were than dried herbs and how much more flavor they have. It was like I hadn't even tried real herbs before until I grew a couple.

Please keep us updated on that! And I can't imagine a restaurant not being interested in truly fresh herbs!

I will. I gave the restaurant some dill a few weeks back. I asked the owner if she recommended any thing and she quickly said Chervil. I've never heard of it before. So I planted a lot of it with dill,basil,cilantro,and parsley. Hopefully it jumps to life in a few weeks so I can start pulling it. Last year I planted a lot of herbs and they did well, but no one bought any. I got to the point of giving it away. When I talked to the chef she said they use all of the herbs I planted but always had trouble finding it local. Maybe this will open the door for me and other restaurants if I can keep up with demand.