Who's Ready For A Garden? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Who's Ready For A Garden?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 514 Times on 286 Posts

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1393520622.187870.jpgimageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1393520647.913267.jpgimageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1393520680.783574.jpg a few more pictures from last year. All I have is the big tractor with a plow. I normally plow the garden in and make my rows with the tiller. Once a week I bust the middles and hoe. I also have a 1/4 acre of black berries and almost 100 blueberry plants. I make more money off berries and making jam. When tomatoes come off people buy me out. I bring almost two bushels of heirloom tomatoes. I can't give away basil ,peppers ,or egg plant. I started making Pesto, Baba Gonosh, and hot sauce. I would sell out of that. But yeah. We stock our freezer and pantry full every year and eat out of the garden every month March through November.

🙈🙉🙊💩
Old 03-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1394127545.352902.jpg my son helping me put in 500 seeds. Only 500 more to go.

🙈🙉🙊💩
Old 03-07-2014, 12:02 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1246 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 2521

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopowerbmx View Post
Attachment 138221 my son helping me put in 500 seeds. Only 500 more to go.

🙈🙉🙊💩
Ya, I'm definitely on a smaller scale!

p3060565.jpg

I started some seeds almost two weeks ago and they are taking off. I've got red cabbage, red onions, yellow onions, broccoli, radishes, carrots, zucchini, and tomatoes here. I've also got a lot of herbs that I'm going to start. I'm going to try and use herbs in my landscaping as much as possible. I also just added four blue berry bushes to my hedge row and 2 cherry trees. I got my garden spot tilled up last Saturday as well. And despite today and tomorrow being cold, wet, and miserable this weekend is suppose to be in the 70's! It's getting close to time to plant.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:21 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I decided to sell herbs last year. It was more labor than profit. No one would buy for some reason. Parsley basil cilantro lemon grass and dill. I'm growing it again this year but just for me to put away or can. I love pesto. I normally freeze two or three gallons a year. We use ice cube trays and don't put the cheese in it. Just oil ,basil,garlic,salt&pepper.

🙈🙉🙊💩

Old 03-07-2014, 12:57 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I decided to sell herbs last year. It was more labor than profit. No one would buy for some reason. Parsley basil cilantro lemon grass and dill. I'm growing it again this year but just for me to put away or can. I love pesto. I normally freeze two or three gallons a year. We use ice cube trays and don't put the cheese in it. Just oil ,basil,garlic,salt&pepper.

🙈🙉🙊💩
I'll have to try that! I've been pushing hard to grow the things I normally buy and I normally buy fresh herbs. I'll also be doing a lot on landscaping this spring so I figure herbs will be perfect to go along with the garden and help with the landscaping.

And here's just and idea of what can be done for landscaping with herbs and fruit bearing trees:

I won't be doing anything so grand but it is interesting what you can do.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:13 AM   #26

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

plans to till both of mine this weekend and hope the frost or cold will kill off all the weed roots. i hate using any type of weed killer as i try and stay as close to organic as possible. last yr was great for cucumbers potatoes squash and zucchini . of course all fie yrs i have yet to get an ear of corn due to dear but this yr bambi will be going in the freezer if they get caught in the crop.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Nice Tluker I like that!

🙈🙉🙊💩

Old 03-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Wilddog weed killer is useless. It is a temporary fix and leaves chemicals in the ground for your food to absorb. I have problems with pigweed here. It is resistant to herbicide now because of farmers spraying all the time. I can't fight it off. It will seed out within one week if I don't catch it and put out over 100k seeds. This stuff is nasty. The frost thing is a great idea. If you have a small plot I would till once a week till spring. I've given up on a clean garden. I just keep the middles clean and In between the plants. I let the weeds grow as long as they don't clog the vegetables. Squash and melons are hard to keep clean.

🙈🙉🙊💩

Old 03-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #29
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 560 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 2821

My wife and I may plant a garden today or this weekend. Don't have to worry about any more freezes here.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:16 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Wilddog weed killer is useless. It is a temporary fix and leaves chemicals in the ground for your food to absorb. I have problems with pigweed here. It is resistant to herbicide now because of farmers spraying all the time. I can't fight it off. It will seed out within one week if I don't catch it and put out over 100k seeds. This stuff is nasty. The frost thing is a great idea. If you have a small plot I would till once a week till spring. I've given up on a clean garden. I just keep the middles clean and In between the plants. I let the weeds grow as long as they don't clog the vegetables. Squash and melons are hard to keep clean.

🙈🙉🙊💩
I cover my garden spot in leaves in the fall and let them stay there until spring. Before tilling I'll rake them up and put them in the compost pile. It leaves the ground fairly clean of weeds and full of fat healthy earth worms. One thing I have to try this year is running a leaf blower in reverse to suck up the leaves. When it sucks them up it will grind them as well and they supposedly make perfect compost after grinding and putting in a compost pile for a few months. If you don't grind them first then you need to add them to green material like fresh grass clippings and discarded vegetables(2/3's green material and 1/3 brown for good compost). If you grind your leaves they supposedly make perfect compost without adding anything.

For melons and similar plants that are hard to keep control of the weeds try putting down mulch (wood chips are good but leaves work also). Mulch will also help keep the ground from drying out and the plants won't need as much water! I'm not sure about fresh wood chips? I'm not sure if they would affect the Ph of the soil, but older wood chips help the soil.