Who will you call when EMP shuts down U.S.? - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Who will you call when EMP shuts down U.S.?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Your comment made me think about how different things were here when I was young. At one time very few people here had a high power rifle, and that's because there was no big game to hunt. There simply were no deer here. There were no turkey either. By "here" I mean most of the southeast. I heard that a disease devastated the population, but the primary cause was hunting. That happened around 1900?

I have no problem believing that game populations would be wiped out quickly. It's happened before and by a lot fewer people. And domesticated animals like cows would go much faster.
No, no, no Tluker -- u must b wrong.

Seriously, I laugh at all the suburban and country survivalists who insist they'll live on squirrels with the most important survival .22 LR. Thay can't figure out how many squirrels it'd take to get 2,500 calories per person per day but saw six greys just yesterday and know they and their family will be the only ones that make it...

Sorry in advance if that insults some of you.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #72
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Sorry Texas, I was speaking on a broader since about anybody looking forward to the event. Then I just got on a rant. Was not meant.to be personal just trying to draw a picture of how dire the circumstances could be and trying to get people to think through the scenerio.
No problem. It would definitely be a grim scenario for most of the US. Some people like the country boys, farmers, and hunters may not have it too bad, but the people who don't know how to farm, hunt, and be completely independent of the world around them will have it bad. I see a lot of them forming gangs to try and steal what they need. I also see them being wiped out in the rural areas pretty quickly. Not sure what will happen in the cities.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #73

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

There is a little to no chance of a cataclysmic event from an EMP. We have a missile defense network that would most likely take out anything that was in the atmosphere. The amount of nuclear weapons is carefully controlled. EMPs aren't nearly as effective as the book makes them seem. They don't have a 100% success rate for everything that is unprotected and in range. The pulse itself is random, and cannot fully cover it's increasing surface area. Plus, everything it hits will be interference. Cities are filled with metal and concrete above the ground, with lightning rods all over the place. Parking garages will keep the cars parked inside safe. Most planes can survive lightning strikes, the EMP wouldn't do much. Everything is radioactive, anyways. Literally everything. Concrete's molecules decay, just more slowly than most. We are constantly surrounded by radiation that would help interfere with the pulse. And it's not like once something is hit by an EMP, it's ruined forever. Factories should be mostly protected by the massive amounts of materials around them and preventative measures taken against things like electrical surges. And places like MAP and MISO are built to protect against nuclear charges. An EMP attack on the U.S. would be a setback, not a reset.

Vae Victis

Old 08-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #74

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Downsouth, you neglected am extremely important point on the transformers... They take six months and are back ordered...
But how are they made? Electrically powered equipment. If an EMP were to hit, count on the power being out almost indefinitely. And rebuilding infrastructure after the lights are on? All my equipment is electric, in supplying clean drinking water. Walmart will no longer be in business I'm sure, so we're back to local butcher shops and farmers markets...

Old 08-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #75

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Downsouth, you neglected am extremely important point on the transformers... They take six months and are back ordered...
But how are they made? Electrically powered equipment. If an EMP were to hit, count on the power being out almost indefinitely. And rebuilding infrastructure after the lights are on? All my equipment is electric, in supplying clean drinking water. Walmart will no longer be in business I'm sure, so we're back to local butcher shops and farmers markets...
Good point trip. Thanks for taking up my slack pardner.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #76

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy
There is a little to no chance of a cataclysmic event from an EMP. We have a missile defense network that would most likely take out anything that was in the atmosphere. The amount of nuclear weapons is carefully controlled. EMPs aren't nearly as effective as the book makes them seem. They don't have a 100% success rate for everything that is unprotected and in range. The pulse itself is random, and cannot fully cover it's increasing surface area. Plus, everything it hits will be interference. Cities are filled with metal and concrete above the ground, with lightning rods all over the place. Parking garages will keep the cars parked inside safe. Most planes can survive lightning strikes, the EMP wouldn't do much. Everything is radioactive, anyways. Literally everything. Concrete's molecules decay, just more slowly than most. We are constantly surrounded by radiation that would help interfere with the pulse. And it's not like once something is hit by an EMP, it's ruined forever. Factories should be mostly protected by the massive amounts of materials around them and preventative measures taken against things like electrical surges. And places like MAP and MISO are built to protect against nuclear charges. An EMP attack on the U.S. would be a setback, not a reset.
Ok , next problem then, how ingrown toenails will take down society.

Seriously poofy, I hope you're right but I will still prepare the best I can. Thing is, being prepared is more about defending against the possible, not just a particular event. IMHO
Old 08-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #77

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

Which is why we stockpile ammo and have alliances already formed for our "bug out" groups.

It's also why I live in the PNW and in the shadow of some very tough country. Our machiato sipping tender foots would not make it to the foothills let alone into the mountains.

Those of us who can survive, will wait 3 months, which should be ample time for the dependent souls to perish and the decomp/disease to pass. We can then re-occupy areas worth inhabiting and re-establish agriculture on a small local scale.

Given the path of oppression we are currently on, ^^THIS^^ seems preferable to me.

Don't fear the reaper...just get out his way and let him work.

Tack
Sound words, but I'm thinking 6 months to a year. Just to make sure they are gone!

Old 08-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #78

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Fear the Reaper? I'll slap him on the ass like he made a superbowl touchdown... :P
People Like This 
Old 08-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #79
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
Everything is radioactive, anyways. Literally everything. Concrete's molecules decay, just more slowly than most. We are constantly surrounded by radiation that would help interfere with the pulse.
Why is that not comforting.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #80

Liked 1961 Times on 1033 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
You can't discount a massive solar flare...nature's EMP...ain't no missile gonna stop that...Since prepping for this event is relatively inexpensive, why not have one less thing to worry about?

I can't say I agree with your assessment as to what will and won't be protected, simply because I haven't delved into the specifics too deeply, but from what I can understand, anything not fully covered with an adequate conductor and properly grounded will be effected IE-cars in a parking garage...

Logistically not too likely to be widely effective, with a single launch, or even multiple launches...God blessed us with those 2 oceans on either side of us as the best natural defense system known to man...

And then theres this...
image-3538311442.jpg  

Last edited by vincent; 08-13-2012 at 08:21 PM.