Who will you call when EMP shuts down U.S.? - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Who will you call when EMP shuts down U.S.?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 590 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
seemingly, any metal building can be a faraday cage......only problem is gettin "ALL" open spaces "sealed" with metal to metal contact.

myth buster made one with, it looked to be, either brass or gold screen material. it was about the size of a porta-jon. cell phone had zero signal from exterior sources.
The mythbusters used copper mesh (good conductivity) wrapped around a wooden frame. The idea is to make the structure that is completely enclosed in conductive material with no gaps. Its not so much to channel energy though it like a lightning rod but to let the interior of the structure slip through the wave untouched.

case anyone is wondering.... your mesh is here

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #62

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth

Not any sane person !!
^^^^this^^^^

Old 08-11-2012, 02:38 AM   #63

Liked 9218 Times on 5061 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop

I wouldnt call you a zombie ... It's no different than fantasizing about being Michael Jordan when you play basketball ... You're just a fanatic whose time has Not yet come.

Personally I welcome guys with your knowledge and dedication to understanding how to live when shtf... I have a decent idea and plan between my wife and I and our two best friends ... But the more guys like us the merrier... And besides even if it never happens what's the worst conclusion? You spent all your time train g yourself to do something that could potentially save your life and that of your friends and family?

I could certainly think of other lifestyle choices that wound more accurately describe a zombie than that
Don't get the wrong idea though, there a very distinct difference between a survivalist (you?), and a simple survivor (me). Most people in my position would be dead in a day from eating something raunchy. The only advantage I have over those is that I'm a complete and total nerd outside of a fight. My college advisor/mentor taught me quite a bit about things safe to eat in the woods. I can start a fire with sticks or bow. Build a shelter out of damn near ANYTHING. And I can stay vertical pretty well in general. I don't really study that stuff though.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:13 AM   #64
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6580 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I guess if all the electronics are fried, I'll do what my great grandpa did. I'll go hunting and kill what we need. I'll do a little fishing, possibly some farming, and I'll be glad my guns don't have red dot sights on them.

I don't think it would be THAT hard to survive for me and mine. Right now, there are at LEAST 4 ponds within a 1/4 mile of here (one of them is FULL of large perch and small bass plus some pretty good sized catfish), there are plenty of deers, squirrels and rabbets, and there are occasionally some turkey, hogs, pigeons, and doves that come through here. The only thing we'd really have to worry about is the heat.
PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 08-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #65

Liked 1341 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
The only thing we'd really have to worry about is the heat.
........and your long-term food supply when everyone around you is also hunting & fishing the woods and ponds dry......

Old 08-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #66

Liked 1415 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
I guess if all the electronics are fried, I'll do what my great grandpa did. I'll go hunting and kill what we need. I'll do a little fishing, possibly some farming, and I'll be glad my guns don't have red dot sights on them.

I don't think it would be THAT hard to survive for me and mine. Right now, there are at LEAST 4 ponds within a 1/4 mile of here (one of them is FULL of large perch and small bass plus some pretty good sized catfish), there are plenty of deers, squirrels and rabbets, and there are occasionally some turkey, hogs, pigeons, and doves that come through here. The only thing we'd really have to worry about is the heat.
People will become locust roaming the land for resources leaving bare where they pass. Instead of getting a hundred meals from an unfortunate cow in a field, they may get only a few because the starving will have no clue how to properly butcher and preserve the animal. Imagine this happening all the way out to your area 50 miles from an urban center. By the time those who would take your supplies in the more rural areas get to you, they most likely will be hardened and organized. Having plundered their way to your door countless times it will be routine for them.

Misery and death will be common place. Those in society that are sick and depend on daily meds will soon run out and begin to languish rather quickly depending on their particular affliction. Survival of the fittest will be in full effect the longer it goes on.

An emp strike or a cme more than likely will knock out the large transformers at power stations. It takes 6 months to make one and they are already backordered at this time. If the full effects of either event do come to be, most of the country will be in the dark for up to a decade or more. How many squirrels, deer and catfish would you need to feed yourself let alone loved ones for a decade ?

Like I said, "no sane person would look forward to this event".

This link will help with the gravity of the event when it happens.

http://internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=915

Last edited by downsouth; 08-11-2012 at 10:55 AM.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #67
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2257 Times on 1427 Posts
Likes Given: 5316

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
People will become locust roaming the land for resources leaving bare where they pass. Instead of getting a hundred meals from an unfortunate cow in a field, they may get only a few because the starving will have no clue how to properly butcher and preserve the animal. Imagine this happening all the way out to your area 50 miles from an urban center. By the time those who would take your supplies in the more rural areas get to you, they most likely will be hardened and organized. Having plundered their way to your door countless times it will be routine for them.

Your comment made me think about how different things were here when I was young. At one time very few people here had a high power rifle, and that's because there was no big game to hunt. There simply were no deer here. There were no turkey either. By "here" I mean most of the southeast. I heard that a disease devastated the population, but the primary cause was hunting. That happened around 1900?

I have no problem believing that game populations would be wiped out quickly. It's happened before and by a lot fewer people. And domesticated animals like cows would go much faster.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #68
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6580 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post

Misery and death will be common place. Those in society that are sick and depend on daily meds will soon run out and begin to languish rather quickly depending on their particular affliction. Survival of the fittest will be in full effect the longer it goes on.

An emp strike or a cme more than likely will knock out the large transformers at power stations. It takes 6 months to make one and they are already backordered at this time. If the full effects of either event do come to be, most of the country will be in the dark for up to a decade or more. How many squirrels, deer and catfish would you need to feed yourself let alone loved ones for a decade ?

I never said I was looking forward to something like this, all I said was that we would deal with it the same way people have for thousands of years.

As for scavengers coming onto this land, they better have something to trade that we could use, or they better get the hell off this land.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 08-11-2012 at 04:19 PM.
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 08-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #69

Liked 5017 Times on 2431 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Guess I'll talk to my Korean neighbors and see of they have. Good recipe for dog...think they call it Ka Gogi...or something like that.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #70

Liked 1415 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

I never said I was looking forward to something like this, all I said was that we would deal with it the same way people have for thousands of years.

As for scavengers coming onto this land, they MAY get one warning shot. That's all they get.
Sorry Texas, I was speaking on a broader since about anybody looking forward to the event. Then I just got on a rant. Was not meant.to be personal just trying to draw a picture of how dire the circumstances could be and trying to get people to think through the scenerio.