Who will you call when EMP shuts down U.S.? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Who will you call when EMP shuts down U.S.?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Let's be honest guys; we would all be on the phone to the cable company (or celly providor)
bitchin about the interwebs goin down.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 08-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #12

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

In the book " 1second after" I believe there were three blast needed to cover the contintial US. Be all acounts the author did very good research on what would happen if emps were detonated.

It would be on ! Those in urban areas that didn't bugout asap would die in place. Suburbs alittle more time. It would be very ugly.

Don't forget about CMEs from the sun. If big enough could do the same thing. We are overdue for a huge blast of plasma. Not only is it solar maximus, some scientist say the sun has been changing since 1992. The planets are warming, not just earth.

NEVER FORGET

Old 08-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #13

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

"who will you call when EMP shuts down US?"

Um... nobody? Cell phone no workey workey.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
"who will you call when EMP shuts down US?"

Um... nobody? Cell phone no workey workey.
I was thinking the same thing...

Old 08-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #15
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Yeah, that is kind of a goofy question: "Who will you call when all electronics are fried?!"

Uh, no one...because all electronics are fried and my phone and the phone system is electronic.

It's not dumb to make Faraday cages to hold some extra items. A metal tool box with a grounding wire attached to a water pipe should be sufficient. Stick whatever you think you might want in there. Watches, radios (CB, HAM, receivers), GPS, whatever. If you're going to store these things on a shelf somewhere anyway, they may as well be in a grounded metal cage. It wouldn't hurt to wrap your generator in copper mesh and ground that, just in case. Condensers on freezers and refrigerators will probably be unharmed, so having a genny to keep your food fresh is a good idea.

A hard-core EMP really would wreak havoc with a big percentage of the population. If your car dies and you have to walk home 30 or 40 miles you'd better be in reasonably good shape or you may not make it, particularly in extreme heat or cold. Most folks in hospitals probably won't do well. People who literally cannot cook - no store of food, water or even knowledge of how to cook - who depend on restaurants will be in bad shape. That accounts for a disturbingly large percentage of urban-dwellers, rich and poor.

A catastrophic EMP would be a heck of a reset button.

The first couple weeks would thin the population considerably. What would worry me is the next round of gangs and would-be warlords seeking folks like us who will be sequestered here and there, calmly living off our stores.

Having a good exit strategy isn't a dumb idea. A vehicle with a carburetor or owning (or living near) horses and being able to ride aren't the dumbest ideas going....

BUT, an EMP attack doesn't seem particularly likely. It's more likely we would suffer a series of extremely strong solar flares that would knock out our grid than that we would suffer a 150 megaton nuke going off over southern Saskatchewan at 65 miles up and frying our grid and all our electronics. Not too many nations have that kind of weapon and even fewer can carry it 65 miles straight up.

Last edited by bkt; 08-06-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #16

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Will be breaking the radio gear (Ham) and batteries out of Faraday storage.

Jim.......

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 08-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #17

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
Will be breaking the radio gear (Ham) and batteries out of Faraday storage.

Jim.......
Would my steel gun safe bolted to my garage slab provide sufficient grounding to act like one big faraday?

I'd sure hate to loose my electronic sights.

Tack

Old 08-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #18

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I have read that foam insulated ammo cans make good faraday boxes. They did not mention a ground. Hence the insulation ?

NEVER FORGET

Old 08-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #19

Liked 1039 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 681

"One Second After" is a good book. I read it last year, and it was very disturbing, mostly because even though it it fiction, I did not find anything in that book that did not make sense, or sound like it couldn't happen.

Anyone have a definitive source on Faraday cages? I was under the impression that it had to involve copper mesh, and something slightly more complicated than just grounding something. Everything in my house is grounded, but I think you'd still loose it all.

I have actually seen a huge faraday cage. It was maybe 12' cubed, and the company my father worked for was using it to test some electronic equipment, or something. I was maybe 6 at the time, but I remember him showing it to me and telling me what it did. Not until only a few years ago did I realize what it was called, or what exactly I had seen.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:14 AM   #20

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
In the book " 1second after" I believe there were three blast needed to cover the contintial US. Be all acounts the author did very good research on what would happen if emps were detonated.

It would be on ! Those in urban areas that didn't bugout asap would die in place. Suburbs alittle more time. It would be very ugly.

Don't forget about CMEs from the sun. If big enough could do the same thing. We are overdue for a huge blast of plasma. Not only is it solar maximus, some scientist say the sun has been changing since 1992. The planets are warming, not just earth.
Why would people die in urban areas? what would kill them besides lack of knowledge ?