Who gets in? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Who gets in?

View Poll Results: Would a Doctor and their blind S.O. BOTH be let in to your SHTF group?
Yes, both 18 75.00%
No, neither 0 0%
Just the DOC 3 12.50%
Depends, maybe this blind person had other valuable skills, it's up for evaluation. 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I like these threads -- it's like Dungeon & Dragons for firearms enthusiasts.
Using The Force and living the dream;
Louis

Old 10-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

just because someone is blind or has a handicap, doesn't mean they don't have skills that could be useful. there are many handicapped people who function in society everyday and are more beneficial than many who claim disability just because they are lazy. also think of it this way, a person who has a handicap has learned to adapt and overcome. i think that willpower and mindset would be assets to a group just because of positive morale.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8453 Times on 4897 Posts
Likes Given: 11020

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoppingpower View Post
Some blind people are far more aware then someone who has sight. Let em in!
Yeah, but being night guard every night would get old!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Yeah, but being night guard every night would get old!
that's true! but they could always teach others how to be more in tune with their senses and be more effective.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #15
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8453 Times on 4897 Posts
Likes Given: 11020

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Well, I was imagining a General practitioner, actually. And we really do have an RN in the family. I agree, those skills would be highly beneficial.

Those are some good answers. Makes me feel better that the general consensus would be that being able bodied and willing is enough. And I never thought about the freeing up of more skilled hands part. Also a good point, trip.
I was more thinking of my brother, who is a, MD/GP. He is a good doctor and all according to many of his patients but when it comes to practical everyday stuff he is left somewhat lacking. I wouldn't exclude him and his family by any means (none of them are blind or anything) because collectively all of them would bring something to the table. His education as a Doctor would not be the reason for including him (and/or his family) though, even discounting entirely him being my brother.

The way I see it is if one picks and chooses among people as to whom shall be included you are losing sight of the BIG PICTURE, which is that the larger a community is, the stronger it is (within reason of course). I would more have the attitude that as people come and want to join, the community gets expanded, merging with and/or taking up nearby land and other groups in order to accommodate the new additions. With numbers comes strength. A group leadership that accepts a doctor with a blind wife might very well be more highly respected by the other members of the group than one that turns away one or both of them. If you turn them away do you then also turn away a young family? The babies would be using up resources and unable to pull their own weight. I, for one, would accept the whole family, because who doesn't fight a little stronger when there is a baby around? Plus I like babies! They are one of the truly wonderful things in life.

The smaller groups will eventually be squeezed out by my ever growing group. The difficult part would be maintaining cohesive leadership with a growing population.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #16

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Here is some other input from a thread I started

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/bunker-worthiness-73568/

Old 10-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #17

Liked 1029 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Yeah, Nitro, I remember that thread, it was a good one. The more I think about it, the more it seems that the only people to exclude would be the lazy "welfare" types.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Yeah, Nitro, I remember that thread, it was a good one. The more I think about it, the more it seems that the only people to exclude would be the lazy "welfare" types.
i agree with that!

i have an older sister who is married to a deadbeat and she works three jobs and takes care of their two boys. if a situation such as this were to occur, my sister and my nephews would be allowed to enter and i would throw my lazy deadbeat BIL to the wolves without a second thought!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #19

Liked 1029 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Damn right!!

Old 10-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't trust anyone but Fathead. We have discussed this already and we will be on our own. We could go to my family's farm but eventually there would be a breakdown and I would not want to be with a large group of people. I also feel only Fathead would be concerned with my well being.