When you can't "Google" anymore... - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

When you can't "Google" anymore...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2922 Times on 1720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

Not all at once, but you could travel.
Is that an invitation? lol

Old 06-14-2012, 03:18 AM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysWithZombies
A good encyclopedia set, i'm the only person i know under 50 who has one which is kinda sad.

Repair manuals for your vehicle, and small engine repair in general.

A pocket ref, they're so useful i try to always have one nearby.
I agree, but I'd also pick up the following four books from BudK:
Living off the grid
Survival manual for military
Boobytraps
And last but not least your edible plants

Old 06-15-2012, 03:22 AM   #23
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Having all this stuff is all fine and dandy but knowing what to do with it is critical. I have many of the books mentioned, but I also have much of the knowledge contained within their pages. The stuff I don't keep in my head consists of things I can look up in a pcket reference.

I also have multiple HAM radios, handheld, mobile and base stations and a license to use it. Also many reference manuals on all aspects of radio operation. Communications are not imperative but would definitely be an advantage. Even in a major EMP event the older tube radios should not be affected unless they are being operated when the event happens. I maybe should have some of them buried away where an EMP cannot get to them.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #24
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10998 Times on 4764 Posts
Likes Given: 1807

What are the things you need to survive?

survival-kit-dr-strangelove-part-1-demotivational-poster-1268243110.jpg

Hey- it's a start!

Old 06-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I print off alot of little "how too" off the internet. Like welding with car batteries, easy smoking of meat, purification of water, and simple moonshine.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #26
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoprepper View Post
I print off alot of little "how too" off the internet. Like welding with car batteries, easy smoking of meat, purification of water, and simple moonshine.
It's a really great idea to print how-to guides, recipes, etc. - you can't depend on having access to your favorite survival websites in a SHTF situation. But it's also a good idea to try those how-to techniques now when times are good so you're not scrambling and messing things up when you're stressed.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt
It's a really great idea to print how-to guides, recipes, etc. - you can't depend on having access to your favorite survival websites in a SHTF situation. But it's also a good idea to try those how-to techniques now when times are good so you're not scrambling and messing things up when you're stressed.
Yeah true I even make a smaller version for my bug out bag.. dont plan on bugging out but still nice to have

Old 08-04-2012, 02:06 AM   #28

Although I love reading and books, I have to say that having a library full of books makes less sense than having a library sized collection of PDF files on an external HDD.

Here's my idea. First, make a safe place to store the electronics. Safe from both EMP and Looters, thieves, etc... Then obtain a good sized storage device (I have a 1.5 TB drive that fits in my pocket) a large stack of DVD backups, a laptop to transfer files to and fro, and a viewing device (iPod, kindle, iPad, whatever).

To ensure power, have a solar charging unit for the viewing device and a solar system to power the laptop. Even a mini notebook will work, but you may not be able to access the DVDs on one of those.

I know I'm rambling, but I hope I was coherent enough. LoL.