Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   When you can't "Google" anymore... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/when-you-cant-google-anymore-65901/)

Marthor 06-06-2012 08:55 AM

When you can't "Google" anymore...

When the internet crashes, what do you need to have?

Probably paper copies are a good idea in case it's not just the internet, but all electronics are fried.

Help me make a list:
1) Maps
2) Financial Records (to help get restored if the internet ever comes back)
3) Medical Reference Material
4) Survival Guides Info Books

What else?

PlaysWithZombies 06-06-2012 09:05 AM

A good encyclopedia set, i'm the only person i know under 50 who has one which is kinda sad.

Repair manuals for your vehicle, and small engine repair in general.

A pocket ref, they're so useful i try to always have one nearby.

Mason609 06-06-2012 09:27 AM

^^^^ What he said.

You might also want to have other "how to" books. You never know when you'll need to know how to do some plumbing....

c3shooter 06-06-2012 11:00 AM

One part of my "inner sanctum" is what my son called my "Doomsday Library". Foxfire series. Mother Earth Guide to Homemade Power. Reader's Digest Back to Basics. Gardening, animal husbandry, canning. Medical books for the non- medic (like Wilderness Doctor) Beer, wine, moonshine making. ANYTHING from the Audel's Guides- among others, have the Audel's Engineers Guide to Electricity- from about 1910. Gunsmithing, reloading, Improvised Explosives and munitions (NOT the Anarchist's Cookbook- that is a crock) Recipes. 1001 Formulas. Pocket ref guides. Chess, Bridge, and card games. Military references for NBC warfare. Dean Ing's Pulling Through.

Collected over the years, a lot through used book stores, never paid more than $10 for any one book.

bkt 06-06-2012 11:05 AM

+1 on the pocket ref - those books are amazing! Got one in each bug-out bag. :)

I picked up a cheap android tablet at Kohls a while back (came to like $60), got a 32G SD card for it and downloaded all of the English version of Wikipedia to it. (There are a bunch of offline wiki utilities available but Wikidroyd is what I ended up using.)

Guides on plants that grow in your area - what's edible, what has medicinal value, what's poisonous - are good to have.

Copies of the D of I, Constitution, Bill of Rights as well as state and local laws aren't bad to have. Having copies printed of local gun laws can be real handy (ask me how I know).

Names, phone numbers and postal mailing addresses of friends and family in case you need to keep in touch and skype is toast.

Plenty of entertaining printed books to keep your mind occupied.

JonM 06-06-2012 04:45 PM

There is a small portable backpacking stove that can be used to heat food and charge portable usb devices through the burning of wood.

Its on my must have list.

bkt 06-06-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 827081)
There is a small portable backpacking stove that can be used to heat food and charge portable usb devices through the burning of wood.

Cool! Is it this one? http://www.thecoolist.com/biolite-campstove-and-usb-charger/

Right now, I have a tiny radio with a solar panel, battery and dynamo in my BOB with a USB charger on it. This stove looks pretty cool, tho!

Shoobee 06-06-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthor (Post 826814)
When the internet crashes, what do you need to have?

Probably paper copies are a good idea in case it's not just the internet, but all electronics are fried.

Help me make a list:
1) Maps
2) Financial Records (to help get restored if the internet ever comes back)
3) Medical Reference Material
4) Survival Guides Info Books

What else?

Good question, interesting thoughts too.

I have med reference books but they are old. These stopped being popular with the advent of the internet around 1995 when you could first look things up online.

I also have roadmap books and topo map books by state, because I use these while hunting. These would also become critical if I had to bug out.

My checkbook is still hardcopy. I have not switched over to online banking.

I keep the last month's worth of financial mail as a backup to the most current real thing which is online, although I hardly ever read it. I check my bank account every payday by phone. Banking by phone used to be cutting edge high tech. Now it is still more secure than on the internet.

Tax records -- these are hardcopy also. You always need to be able to prove to the IRS and the Social Security Admin that you paid your taxes on time.

Other than this, I am as addicted to the internet and to the PC as anyone else.

Shoobee 06-06-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 827081)

I have 3 stoves like that. One is wood burning, another is tablet burning, and the third is gasoline burning. Definitely a must for cooking foods and purifying water in a SHTF situation.

Also have the siphoning equipment to get to the gasoline to feed the stove too.

orangello 06-06-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mason609 (Post 826820)
^^^^ What he said.

You might also want to have other "how to" books. You never know when you'll need to know how to do some plumbing....

Save some newspapers too, for the uhhhhhh library. :o