When Thursday becomes a mild SHTF situation! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

When Thursday becomes a mild SHTF situation!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I live in Fla. A generator, extra gas, flashlights, a supply of canned goods, bottled water, and plywood are always present and ready to use.
"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3499 Times on 1614 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
These are very good points but I would like to bring up another view....what if you rent? I currently rent a house and I'm not going to wire a generator into my rented home.
Spitty, the nice thing about electrity is that it runs both ways, so if you can get a portable generator, you can wire it into your "rented" house panel, pull your meter on the side of the house (to isolate your house from the system for safety of you and the electrical workers), and you have power.

Another option is to "scab in" a generator input to the electrical panel where when the power goes out, you throw a line disconnect ( to isolate your house ) that closes the bridge to the new "outlet". You take the plug from the portable generator and plug it into the "outlet" and fire off the generator. Your house comes on line off the generator, you just have to trip a few breakers to make sure you don't overload your generator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
The main thing in this scenero is that you have enough amperage output from the generator to supply the devices you want to run. (line) If you use extension cords, make sure they are of large enough guage wire to carry the amperage load of your devices. (load)
Quoted for the M-Effing Truth!!

Old 03-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #13

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

My generator is not connected all the time. I do have the wires ready for a quick connect at the main breaker, so I can get it going in short order. I normally don't get the generator going unless power is out for a while. Light from candles and oil lamps. Gas well, so heat and cooking is not a problem. The water pump does run on electricty, so no water until the generator is up and running. I do keep a moderate supply of water jugs for the shorter outages. There are a total of 14 residences on my road, so when there is a wide spread outage we are last on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!