Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > When the SHTF how much is enough...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #51
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8310 Times on 3592 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

There you go again with all the negative waves, Moriarity! (Apologies to Donald Sutherland!)

A concealable handgun. And a pump shotgun. Rest of the arsenal stays home.

Of course, my primary Bug Out vehicle is a surplus duece and a half, and plan to have youngest son manning the MA Deuce on the ring mount........

But only until we make it to the choppa.....

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:54 PM   #52

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
There you go again with all the negative waves, Moriarity! (Apologies to Donald Sutherland!)
Bwahahahahhaaahaaahaaa!! That was an AWESOME reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
But only until we make it to the choppa.....
choppa1.jpg  

Old 08-29-2009, 03:54 AM   #53

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Yeah? That's what This Guy thought too....

Didn't work out so well for him as he ended up in the morgue.

Beware the guys with the "plinking toys" - you may be visiting the boatman before you ever hear the shot.
Well, that guy......anyway. Time for plan B-echo.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:52 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
I have a Mossberg 500 with tactical light, pistol grip and buttstock shell holder. I also have a .45 auto and a S&W 686 Plus 7 shot. Oh yeah, and my wife's J-Frame .38 +p. I was considering getting a mid range rifle; I don't think I need one that'll hit out to 600 yds.(or do I?) but something that'll hit out farther than my Mossy. Do I need a rifle or should I save my $ and start socking away ammo for the guns I already have? Gimme some thoughts.
Personally I consider the shotgun and ammo to be heavy to consider for almost anything besides wingshooting. Inside a house, the largest rooms are typically no longer than 20 feet across. At that range a shotgun's "cone of fire" has barely begun to spread, so it has to be aimed, just as accurately as a rifle. At long range, over 100 yards or so, the shotgun is practically worthless, but almost any rifle can be counted on for hits well past that mark. You've probably never heard someone complain, that a deer was too close to be killed with a rifle, but there are probably a lot of times a deer was too far away for a shotgun. So, in my opinion, the shotgun only has a practical use in medium ranges, 20 yards to 75 yards or so, and everything else is covered at least as well, if not better by a rifle.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
I have a Mossberg 500 with tactical light, pistol grip and buttstock shell holder. I also have a .45 auto and a S&W 686 Plus 7 shot. Oh yeah, and my wife's J-Frame .38 +p. I was considering getting a mid range rifle; I don't think I need one that'll hit out to 600 yds.(or do I?) but something that'll hit out farther than my Mossy. Do I need a rifle or should I save my $ and start socking away ammo for the guns I already have? Gimme some thoughts.
I believe in a 3 gun minimum for survival purposes. First is an accurate .22 pistol. It can be used for small to medium sized game, at surprising ranges, up to 100 yards or so with practice. It can take rabbits, squirrels birds, and even larger animals if the range is not too great. Ammo is cheap and light; the gun and plenty of ammo is easy to carry. Next would be a more serious handgun caliber, and it could be one of several styles or models, but I think a 4-6 inch barreled .357 fills this niche nicely. It is powerful enough for most any self-defense or hunting needs at reasonable ranges. It is simple and not as likely as an automatic to jam in an emergency. I skip the shotgun as the gun and ammo is heavy, and range is limited. My final choice is an accurate semi-auto rifle in either .223 or .308. Adding a scope to it makes it a long range hunting/protection weapon, although some people are amazing shots with just the iron sights. The reason I chose these three types of weapons is based upon my experience on our family farm/ranch.

Although I had plenty of guns to choose from, I usually only had one gun on my person if I was doing anything besides actively hunting, and that would be one of the pistols. Rifles or shotguns would be at the cabin or in the truck, and out of immediate reach. Invariably, I would see some type of game while repairing fence, clearing roads or whatever, which could be taken with a pistol. If the game was spotted too far away for a pistol, there was often time to go get the rifle out of the truck. Rifles and/or shotguns are in the way too much to carry all the time, unless you are actually hunting or expecting trouble. At that point, nothing would be more comforting than the rifle, with 20-30 rounds ready to sort out the problem. So, for the weight of only 3 guns, you can cover any hunting (except wing shooting) or self protection scenarios, which can easily be carried by just one person. Shotguns are fine for in-home defense, but just not that much better (if any) than a rifle in my opinion. Most rooms are less than 20 feet across, and at that range a shotgun will not spread out more than a couple of inches, meaning you have to aim it just as accurately as a rifle. They are as long as most carbines, so not really any easier to maneuver in the tight confines of a hallway. Just choose the rifle bullets for in-home use with your particular situation in mind. Light fast hollow point or soft point bullets are the least likely to penetrate a number of walls if that is a concern. If there are no kids or other houses nearby, a bullet with controlled expansion like premium hunting bullet will go through multiple walls or most "bullet proof" jackets if necessary.

Some bad guys have started wearing "bullet resistant" clothes, although thankfully that is still pretty rare. FMJ bullets will go through several walls and still be deadly, which is an option, that could be exploited in an emergency. If you know a bad guy is coming through the house, you don't have to wait for a clear shot, which also puts you in the line of fire.

So I believe most everything can be handled with just 3 guns, but a shotgun could be part of the equation in the home also, or in a vehicle. I just would not want to have to carry all four in a survival mode, on my back. Two pistols and one rifle would be heavy enough!

Old 08-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #56

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Chuck, welcome to the forum!

We here at FTF have this thing we call Zombie Threads. You my friend just dug one up. If you look at the date that the last post was made, you'll see that it was nearly one year ago. We like to let sleeping dogs lie, or in this case, zombie threads stay undead. Or dead. I can never get zombies straight.

Either way, instead of digging up an old thread next time, I might suggest just starting your own. That way we don't have to dig through 8 pages to see the new stuff too!

Again, Welcome!

Last edited by falseharmonix; 08-23-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:27 AM   #57

In my opinion , preparing for SHTF is one of the few instances where moderation gets thrown out the window.

"BE NOT AFRAID"