When the SHTF how much is enough... - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

When the SHTF how much is enough...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 07:04 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Come on! My original post was intended to poke fun at c3shooter's comments on the AR platform. Remember -

Quote:
.... Or you can spend $900 on an AR-15 with half the range and faints at the sight of dirt (yeah, that oughta stir 'em up!)
Like I don't own an AR platform too!

When the SHTF how much is enough... - Survival & Sustenance Living Forum

When the SHTF how much is enough... - Survival & Sustenance Living Forum

Old 06-18-2008, 12:10 PM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Please reserve this technique for gun haters. Tell 'em it's the best way to never have to worry about guns again....
lol - or maybe say something like "The majority of "gun-cleaning" accidents could be prevented if, before passing a cleaning rod down the bore.... "
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-18-2008, 02:06 PM   #23

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
Come on! My original post was intended to poke fun at c3shooter's comments on the AR platform. Remember -

All in fun - All in fun....

JD

Old 06-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #24

Default The AR Platform is an excellent one for SHTF

situations. And the ammo is reasonably priced, readily available and can be stored for long periods of time. Plus, there will STILL be tons of ammo available for trade purposes when "the balloon goes up."

Actually, there are many excellent suggestions in this thread. I like the idea of a carbine ( lever action or otherwise ) that can handle the same .357 or
.44 ammo as your handgun. Again, the 5.56 "black rifles" are excellent choices for survival situations.

About the only thing I would add is to be sure you lay in as much water and food as you can, then get all the ammo you can afford. Don't overlook the humble .22 Long Rifle. It can be a good hunting round, is easily quieted in a long barrelled rifle and 200,000 rounds can be stored in a lot less space than any other round that I know of.

Oh, and an extra for your medical kit: Feminine napkins and tampons. The super napkins can hold a LOT of blood and make good quick battle dressings at a VERY reasonable price. Tampons are good for wound packing, hold quite a bit of blood and have a string for easier removal.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:00 AM   #25

Default price worthy model - mossin

I am proud that someone finally mentioned the Mossin.

I bought mine for $80. This is a high powered, high velocity and very reliable piece. It is fun, but a little tricky. Scope are either bubba style, or original russian, but the russian scopes are spendy. So bone up on our iron sights if you buy one.

The ammo is quite inexpensive. Granted its berdan primed, but at $0.15 per round or so, just clean your rifle.

Another good one is the SKS, inexpensive with lots and lots of surplus ammo out there.

BTW if you look a little, you can find boxer primed ammo for these firearms as well.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #26

having a quality bolt gun has it's merits, especially if you live in a rural area. personally i'd go with my AR to protect my suburban castle. there will be a lot of "Have Nots" roaming the neighborhood if the shtf.
as for food and water, my rule is 1 gallon of water per person per day, and about 2000 calories per person per day for a MINIMUM of 3 days. don't forget your pets too.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:21 AM   #27

Well, I just picked up a Yugo 59/66A1 and a Mosin Nagant 91/30. Thta should help out on the home front

Old 07-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #28

Long time lurker, first time poster here..

my $ .02 :

people need 3 types of weapons for a SHTF situation.

1. long-medium range (.308 AR-10 or similar)
2. Room clearer or bird hunting
3. Pistol (9mm minimum)

plenty (i'd say at least 2k rounds for each) of ammo. and of course reloading supplies.. reloading is almost a must.

check out my site for the best deals on the net at ArmedBearArmory.com

This way you have most of your bases covered.
"Let a man who has no sword sell his cloak and buy a sword" Luke 22:36

Last edited by ArmedBear1746; 07-04-2008 at 06:53 PM.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #29

It really come down to how much you practice and what you are defending.
I can't really think of a better home defense gun than a 12 gauge with buck shot.
I live in a state that doesn't allow hunting with a rifle bigger than a .22.
Thousands of deer have been taken with either a slug or buckshot.
I've killed several with a bow. You really don't need to shoot farther than 50 yds most of the time. You might want a longer barrel for small game hunting.
Now that being said if you have outbuildings away from the house that might need defending or maybe you are looking for an excuse to buy a rifle. then by all means by a rifle.
I would feel like a hypocrite if I didn't mention I have several "battle rifles". I was trained in the military on an M16 A2. I just feel better having my AR around. Even though I have the 12 gauge loaded for home defense.
In my humble opinion you should just stock pile ammo. and practice. practice. practice.

Your mileage may vary.
Ben

Old 07-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #30

I have to cast another vote for an AR-15. As an LEO, I had 3 guns in my patrol unit besides my 1911 duty sidearm:
Remington 870 14" barrel .12 ga.
Colt M-4 Carbine .223
Remington 700 LTR .308 Sniper Rifle.

All of them are well suited to a combat/hostile situation, but if I could only grab one on my way to a fight, it would have been the black rifle. Personally, I think every home defense strategy should have one available.