Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Whats your opinion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Whats your opinion?

40 years ago I had my 30# boogie out bag/pack.. Now I am 64 year old fart. My health is fading fast, I get out of breath just going to the mail box. Now that I have set the stage, What can I do to help support my fellow Americans protect America.

I had given no thought until a buddy and I were talking about when SHTF what we will do. Thats when I occured to me, I'm not 25 anymore..
Ya, I really must rethink my strategy.. I have enough money, what should I stock up and how should I prepare? Tell me how I can help support my fellow Americans. I can't be the only one that have had these thoughts..

No, this aint a pitty party.. I've never thought about these things..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Use a roller suitcase.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 04-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #3

I've always found it to be interesting how much American society has changed. Nowadays most people seem content being helpless. They can always just call 911 or sit on their roof tops waiting for FEMA right?

My friends and I are some of the few that everyone says are just crazy. They know in the back of their mind though if **** hits the fan they're gonna come running.

You could start or join a local survivalist group in your area. It's actually kinda fun. Here's a couple of links for good books on the topic. Hope the info helps....

Amazon.com: The U.S. Army Survival Manual: Department of the Army Field Manual 21-76 (9781569757031): Department of the Army Headquarters: Books

Amazon.com: When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need To Survive When Disaster Strikes (9781423601050): Cody Lundin, Russell L. Miller, Christopher Marchetti: Books

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke

Old 04-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #4

Also although some of it is just crap that you don't need. Here is another site you could use to stockpile. I bought one of the 275 meal buckets myself. It has a shelf life of 20yrs and you can keep it in the closet.

Survive 2012 - The official Survival Guide Survival Supplies

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke

Old 04-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

bizy, I moved this to the Survival Forum. For some helpful info, read some of the stuff posted in there.

BTW, the older I get, the more the idea of bugging in makes sense. Plus it's never good to be a "refugee".

We're finally moving out of the city and to a small town at the end of this month. I firmly believe that will greatly improve our sustainability, as well as our lives in general.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #6

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

1946 huh? Picked your part B yet?

From one old fart to another, two words:

Canned Food! It's going to be the "new" Gold.

Store it right next to your ammo.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizy View Post
40 years ago I had my 30# boogie out bag/pack.. Now I am 64 year old fart. My health is fading fast, I get out of breath just going to the mail box. Now that I have set the stage, What can I do to help support my fellow Americans protect America.
Pass on the knowledge you gained through experience over theyears to younger folks. That's more valuable than you might think and you know more than you might think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizy View Post
I had given no thought until a buddy and I were talking about when SHTF what we will do. Thats when I occured to me, I'm not 25 anymore..
Ya, I really must rethink my strategy.. I have enough money, what should I stock up and how should I prepare? Tell me how I can help support my fellow Americans.
Try to avoid making yourself a burden to others and stock up on things you need. Visit each room in your house and ask yourself "What's in here that I'd miss a lot if it was gone and I couldn't get another one or any more?" You'll probably fill a page or two just by looking around your kitchen or bathroom.

Another angle on not being a burden to anyone else is to have a plan to get out of dodge in an emergency so your loved ones aren't freaking out about whether or not to stop by your place to pick you up first. Plan with them and have one or more bug-out locations.

As for food, stock up on what you eat. Unless you eat (or really enjoy) MRE's, don't buy them by the gross. 5 gallon food-grade buckets with an oxygen absorber and Gamma lids (google it) will keep food for a very long time. Don't forget to store water and have a means to purify water.

Beyond that, I'd suggest getting a very comfy lawn chair and a very nice scope for your rifle.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #8

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ah, the list!!

A generator, a portable solar panel (preferably one of those folding mylar type panels)
At least 10 gallons of gasoline and keep the car or cars above half tank and at least one full.
I'll second the canned food supply, at least 6 months or more depending on your storage space.
Of course, ammunition. You can never have enough.
At least three oil lamps and two gallons of lamp oil.
Two butane single burner camp stoves and 24 canisters of butane fuel.
Provision for storing at least 500 gallons of water, I have a spa, some use the bath tubs for storage.
Strike anywhere matches, 5 boxes.
Magnesium fire starters.
If no water storage is practical, get a water filtration system, like a Sweetwater.
A hand ax is a definite requirement as are good knives.
100' of Para cord.
Two large tarps

30 gallons of your favorite alcohol. If you don't drink, it is trading stock.

If you plan on bugging out.....

You will need adequate shelter, clothing, be prepared to hunt and fish, live off the land.
You will have to get there, 4X4, ATV, Motorcycle and trailer.
You will have to pack all your food, ammo, camping gear, everything with you or you're dead.

Trust no one, even neighbors, and especially those who haven't prepared.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #9

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Canned Food! It's going to be the "new" Gold.

Store it right next to your ammo.
Quoted For Truth! Any simple basic essentials that can be bartered will be the new gold.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:08 AM   #10

Trust no one, even neighbors, and especially those who haven't prepared.[/QUOTE]

This is a topic that has come up amongst my friends and I. We have a survivalist group that we recently just decided to start keeping private due to mocking. We have strategical planning in preparation of what to do in a major disaster.....2012 type stuff. Although we don't fear an onslaught of Zombies we expect great climate change. We figure on stuff happening here like what happened in Japan or Katrina....ect.

Thing is our stock pile is what we make of it....can afford. We are now debating on what to do with all the ill prepared that may come running.

Some like myself say we take some on. Can find more food and wouldn't hurt to have and extra gun on duty or assistance building camp or driving convoy. Others say turn them away because supplies will go twice as fast. We'll have to babysit, and when it gets bad they may all turn against us.

Like when my friends and I vacation this summer we're going camping. Only bringing exactly the bare essentials. We will build shelter, purify water, and trap food. That or starve. We're gonna keep doing it until we're good at it and can take care of ourselves. An add on new member won't be able to do that.

Any suggestions?

Edmund Burke