You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Whats the perfect gun against large animals like bear and against a possible doomsday

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5091 Times on 2751 Posts
Likes Given: 1647

Go into a gun shop and look at the used shotguns. You will likely see some older pumps with adjustable chokes on the end of the barrel. They are decent guns and inexpensive. Usually under $200 OTD. The adjustable chokes do work even though they dont look good. Actually one of the best survival guns around. You can shoot slugs to bird shot and have the advantage of a choke. Most wont handle mags but do you really need a mag. I think a 12 gauge with a 20" barrel and a Polychoke would be an ideal survival gun. Polychoke is still around and you can send them a barrel to get a choke installed to your preferred length.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #12

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Shotguns.

The shortcoming is that the ammo for them is relatively weak and heavy for its capabilities compared to metallic pistol and rifle cartridges. And the range is limited.

Everything is a compromise, but a shotgun, with the right ammunition for a particular application from a base of operations is an effective thing of beauty... Bear medicine in a rifle -- yeah, you'll need a .308 something?

Old 02-17-2012, 04:47 AM   #13

Liked 90 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 13

i have a older 500 12 guage mossberg pump i have 2 barrels one barrel is a 2 3/4 26 inch Imp cylinder skeet, other is a 30 inch full choke both smooth barrels in the inside my question is can i shoot buckshot and slugs threw either of these barrels?

Old 02-17-2012, 04:58 AM   #14

Likes Given: 1

Wild west guns "Copilot" in 45-70 or .50 Alaskan
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wild-West-Guns-Las-Vegas/234177353262375#!/photo.php?fbid=255591427787634&set=a.2555884077879 36.80020.234177353262375&type=3&theater

Old 02-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #15

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchhatchery View Post
i have a older 500 12 guage mossberg pump i have 2 barrels one barrel is a 2 3/4 26 inch Imp cylinder skeet, other is a 30 inch full choke both smooth barrels in the inside my question is can i shoot buckshot and slugs threw either of these barrels?
Buck shot should be OK in either one. I wouldn't shoot slugs through a full choke though, through the Imp Cyl. it should be OK.

Jeff Cooper

Old 02-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #16

Liked 90 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 13

ok ive shot buckshot threw both and the full choke obviously gives me a tight pattern after reading that i was nervouse about shootin buckshot threw it

Old 02-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #17

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

U can shoot either thru both. The Full choke, which is putting a lot of compression on both those loads, with buckshot will probably expand the pattern. The IC is better for either probably.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:22 PM   #18

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
U can shoot either thru both. The Full choke, which is putting a lot of compression on both those loads, with buckshot will probably expand the pattern. The IC is better for either probably.
I've heard of this phenomenon, but not actually seen it. However, most of the "Full" chokes I've owned were in modern shotgun tubes, probably "Full Steel" and not true Full chokes. I've owned one fixed full barrel in 12 gauge (1960s vintage), and my brother has an even older fixed full 20 gauge single shot. Both of those actually throw a tighter pattern with modern buckshot and birdshot rounds. (Also note that a lot of buckshot boxes stipulate that the best performance can be expected from full chokes.)

I am aware that some "Full" chokes were fuller than others, especially before WW2. I think the combination of higher pressure loads and old, narrower constricted "Full" chokes from back-in-the-day may have resulted in the overchoke effect in which patterns were blown open. I've heard it referred to as similar to a garden hose nozzle that achieves a wider spray of water by channeling the flow through a narrower opening.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:57 PM   #19

Liked 1569 Times on 930 Posts
Likes Given: 235

For the last 28 years, Ive lived in bear country, for the last 14, Ive been working maintenance In bear habitat areas.
This is a tough one, asking a forum for whats adequate to go shooting bears with is like, asking us if running your 1989 Toyota 4 runner in NASCAR's brickyard 400 will place in the top 10?
In both cases you need to research the subject and be willing to learn a few things along the way, what will work, what wont.

One reason most choose pump shotgus is one can quickly stoke them with a non-leathal or leathal slug option, buck shot on brown bears can backfire on you as well as sabot types, shooting a bear in its relaxed state is relatively easy, Taking down a bear hopped up on adrenaline is entirely a different can of worms.
The 12ga can use nonleathal rounds like sock bean bags, screamer and cracker shells, and my favorite remote worker item, a fresh can of brand new bear spray, lugging around a 12ga pump when cutting brush, doing carpentry and shoveling dirt the cannister it pretty light and easy to carry as long as you understand its limatations.
If your going to shoot a bear with leathals, shoot it to kill it, that means a dedication to knowing what your shooting (slugs), why, and when its prudent to do so, can spot a Bears vitals zones on a high lope, and practicing to hit those zones in instances of extreme stress with swift sure resolve.

http://www.survivaltraining.com/courses/wilderness-safety-leader-bear-guard

http://www.survivaltraining.com/courses/bear-wildlife-awareness

There are organizations that instruct outdoorsmen and remote workers that operate in bear country, some locations like fed lands you better be prepared to defend your actions after shooting one their critters while tooling across the land they are tasked with manageing.
In more than one case in Alaska the person that shot a bear was fined after reviewing the AK DLP form, wildlife troopers can ticket a shooter for basicly baiting out bears by your irresponsible actions in the wilds.
In Alaska we have a form that must be filled out.
You are required to fill out and submit a*Defense of Life*or*Property*Report*Form*(PDF 172 kB)*

http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/aac/title05/chapter092/section410.htm

Prevention is Your Best Bet!

Bears are naturally shy animals and prefer to avoid people. Conflicts arise when they are attracted to human food or garbage or when we surprise them while out on the trail.

See*Living and camping in bear country*for tips on how to prevent bears from getting into food and garbage around your home and camp.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=livingwithbears.conflicts

http://online.unbc.ca/index.php/online-courses/environmental-monitoring/bear-awareness-and-safety/

https://firstaidsafetytraining.ca/online-safety-courses/bear-awareness-online-course/

http://www.enform.ca/training/courses/detail/11975/wildlife-awareness-online-includes-bear-awareness&letter=w

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 05-31-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Dallas53 Likes This 
Old 05-31-2017, 07:01 PM   #20

Liked 404 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Back from the dead be this thread.

Closed Thread