Whats the perfect gun against large animals like bear and against a possible doomsday
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Whats the perfect gun against large animals like bear and against a possible doomsday

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Whats the perfect gun against large animals like bear and against a possible doomsday

Whats the perfect gun to protect against large animals like bear but can also protect u against a possible doomsday?

I am looking at the SIG SAUER 716 rifle that takes the Win Mag .308

I am by no means a huge gun person my wife and i recently had a son and now i feel as if i need a good tool to protect my family in any scenario like a bear attack on a camping trip in yellowstone or if someone ever trys to break into our home again! I am pretty good behind my 12 gauge but its choked so it cant handle slugs I want an all around gun that packs a punch but is easy to get rounds for if our country ever crumbles into doomsday!

After a bit of research I found that the .308 win mag is the most commonly found round on earth not sure if it's really true but if it is this gun seems to fit my needs !

With 20 rounds of.308 win mag I think its big enough to put most big game like mountain lion or brown bear down and will for sure take out 2 - 4 guys robbing my home.

It's one of the few tactical rifles that claims to be accurate that holds 20 rounds and has at least a .308 caliber bullet?

Anyone have any advice for me ?

Maybe another gun that holds 20 rounds that can drop brown bears and is easy to handle ? And costing less than 2k ?

Sorry for the spelling mistakes but this message was sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8837 Times on 3825 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Well, first, it is not a .308 Win Mag. It is a .308 Winchester.

Yes, the .308 is more than adequate to drop any animal you would find outside of Africa and larger whales, IF you put the bullet in the right place. Ammo is reasonable, caliber is more accurate than you are.

In the right rifle, can reach out effectively to 900 meters are so. Which MAY be too much for a home defense scenario- I do not know where you live, but this can shoot thru a couple of frame HOUSES.

SIG makes good guns, the AR style will allow you add whatever sights. lights, bells and whistles you want. Pretty new, so not a lot out there to choose from, and when you add sights, will pop that $2k limit.

But what the hell, you would probably just waste the money on other frivolous things anyway- like food, shelter, clothing....

If you like it, can afford it, and it fills your desires, go for it.

PS- you better check the legalities of taking a rifle into Yellowstone, or one of us will be buying that rifle when it gets auctioned off by the National Park Service. And unless you are running an Extra Full choke (used by very few turkey hunters) your shotgun is likely to handle slugs just fine.

And not that you asked, but my defensive firearm of choice at 50 meters or less IS a shotgun. About $200 instead of $2000.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 02-16-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #3

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

A 12 gauge pump with extended magazine. For self defense with bears or 2 legged predators, it can't be beat. I'd load slugs or buckshot depending if I were in the woods (bear) or more urban areas (human predators).

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 02-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #4

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You can transport firearms in Yellowstone. This is not a small eastern state park. It covers more miles than many states. Those of us that live in Wyoming must use roads and trails crossing the park. Wyoming is a gun friendly state. Please read the rules.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/parknews/10008.htm

Old 02-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1972 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 586

My choice would be a short barreled pump shotgun loaded with Brenneke Slugs. Thats what I carried in Alaska. The Win and Rem rifled slugs are easier to find. Rifled slugs were designed to run through a moderate choke. The rifling does not stabilize the slug. It is meant to compress when going through a choke. While it is legal to transport a shotgun in Yellowstone, the rangers and other tourists would not take kindly to seeing it. I keep a shotgun loaded with slugs next to my bed in the RV when in bear country. Get some bear spray. By the way there is a sign in Yellowstone telling you how to identify which type of bears are in the area from their scat (droppings). Grizzly scat has bear bells in it and smells of bear spray. I carry a Kimber Pepper Blaster. It has 2 shots of a 10% pepper concoction that will work from 3'-13' in wind and rain. I also carry my 357 concealed and loaded with 158 grn solids and HP's. Mostly for other predators. I have been told that bears and other animals are afraid of the spark generated by a stun gun discharged in the air. I have stun guns but I have not seen definitive proof that it works and I am not going to trust it until I do.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 02-16-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #6

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I don't know what shotgun you have but almost all shoot slugs thru full chokes. If it is an auto or pump, just buy a new short cylinder choke barrel for it. And buy a rifle cause thats why they make 'em.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #7

The 12 guage shotgun was my grandfathers and is over 30 yrs old my uncle told me it won't handle slugs ? I know nothing about it except the barrel is far near the pump and pretty skinny at the end ?

Sorry for the spelling mistakes but this message was sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

Old 02-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #8

Sorry meant to say fat near the pump and skinny at the end

Old 02-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8837 Times on 3825 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

JS- if you post here giving the make and model of your shotgun, we can give you better info.

Durango- yep- I have spent time there. This is the part I was referring to:

Hunting, or the discharge of a firearm in Yellowstone National Park continues to be prohibited. Other weapons such as bows, air rifles, and slingshots may be secured and transported through the park, but may not be taken on trails or into the backcountry.

Federal law continues to prohibit firearms in certain facilities, such as park visitor centers and federal office buildings. These facilities are posted with appropriate notices at public entrances.

Firearms should not be considered a wildlife protection strategy.

Park regulations require visitors to stay 25 yards away from most wildlife, and 100 yards away from bears and wolves at all times.

If you DO bust a cap on a critter in a National Park, well, as Ricky used to say- "Lucy- you some 'splaining to do..."

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #10

I live in the high mountains of colorado in a small ski town called Breckenridge colorado I was just using Yellowstone as an example however I had no clue u weren't allowed to carry a loaded gun in Yellowstone ! I use to take my ruger 357 mag everywhere with me but it was stolen last year I was so bummed! As for the shotgun I will go grab it and find the make and model