Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What's with the fingerless gloves?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 224 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 439

I apologize if my above post was rude, that is not like me. If you look I have been a member since 2009 and I have never been rude. I think that was the most rude post I have made and I do apologize. This time of year is somber for me, memorial day weekend is a time I reflect on those friends whom have passed that I served with. In fact one of them was buried on memorial day weekend. I know that none of this has anything to do with the thread or the post, but I just wanted to let you know that is why I reacted the way I did. Many of us over the years got a lot of flack for being in our branch. And it just hurts when those nerves are hit, especially this time of year, and the work we did was no different than our marine and army counter parts and most of the flack comes from fellow vets.

I woke this morning and had yet to have my coffee when I typed that and spoke from emotion LOL! Either way like I said before to each there own!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 06-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #52

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Colonel, I don't know about everyone else, but I've viewed you as a well respected and well spoken member since I've joined. Everyone is entitled to be a bit crass on occasion. If you look through my posts, I'm actually quite an *******, but I responded to your post based more on what I've seen in the content of your character rather than the content of your chosen words of a moment. I hope it was well reflected.

You can really tell what I think of a person based on how I treat them. There I some I treat like ****.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:48 AM   #53
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2759 Times on 1899 Posts
Likes Given: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Maybe from the time and branch you're from! We called them boots, as in "fresh outta boot camp"
Once in a while we'd nickname one "basic" but usually if one caught your eye you'd call Him "FNG"...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 06-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #54

Liked 54 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Fingerless glubs to me have always = Look at me ,ima toughy

I just bought this pair of carhartt gloves the other day at Cabelas and i think i really dig these things. there like a cross between a mechanics gloves and motorcross maybe?

There super form fitting with insane grip,almost like a profalactic for ur hands. Wicked durable and you could prolly pick your nose with these things. I pulled out my pocket knife and flipped it open with nary a fumble. Thas prety good for a pair of gloves.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #55

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfBri View Post

So you never found that when you were out fighting evil, on patrol, guard duty, reconnoitering...whatever, that you had to engage in activities that required entirely different levels of say manual dexterity or multiple tasks necessitating very different tactile sensitivity? I would think that if I was say manning the SAW for an hour or so during an attack on our outpost in the bitterly cold Afghan mountains, then re-fortifying our positions afterward requiring a lot of digging and piling of earth you'd want your whole hand protected and warm, but when you needed finer motor control to guide the shovelful of dirt into the sand bag with one hand while holding it open just so with the other, I would think you'd want a different level of dexterity than the gloves used in the previous tasks of manning the SAW and digging frozen earth would have allowed. And what if right then you suddenly realized how very very badly you needed to pee? You run off with your bladder about to burst and realize when you are about to try and unbutton your BDUs faster than ever before that there is absolutely no way this last task can be done without significantly greater tactile sensation and manual dexterity than these heavy protective full fingered gloves will ever allow!

I find it hard, neigh impossible to believe that you could choose one pair of gloves that could ever be the right ones for every tat.sk you would be required to wear gloves for over an 8-16 shift on-duty in an active combat zone. Your chosen gloves might be the right ones for the weather, but they

Whereas, Me & My FINGERLESS gloves would have gone through that same scenario with no compromise in function ,and have stayed piss free and desert dry. No Problem, I do not think you could conceivably choose the right pair of full gloves for an entire stretch of duty.
I used to work construction and totally agree. I used to cut the fingers out of my gloves or wear thinner gloves because reaching into a toolbelt and getting one or two nails to drive was difficult. When using cap nails to put up tyvek or nail down tar paper I used to drive the nail through the end of the glove finger because it was constantly getting in the way. I honestly hated to wear gloves but when handling cold steel tools and sometimes wet and ice/snow covered lumber my hands got cold.

I drive a truck now and only wear my gloves when hooking up to or unhooking a trailer. That black fifth wheel grease is nasty.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

DFlynt Likes This 
Old 06-13-2013, 01:10 AM   #56

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Love all the yardbirds pecking at each other. Can we PLEASE have some shavetails reinforce the correct answer? Mindless, numbing, repetition (we know) is the only thing that takes...

Last edited by HockaLouis; 06-13-2013 at 01:13 AM.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:17 AM   #57

Liked 4545 Times on 2197 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Love all the yardbirds pecking at each other. Can we PLEASE have some shavetails reinforce the correct answer? Mindless, numbing, repetition, we know is the only thing that takes...
Hocka... From several of your posts I've detected a bit of "attitude" toward the enlisted men and the NCO corps? What gives? Did some crusty SGT eat your lunch back in your "shavetail" LT days?

Tack

Old 06-13-2013, 03:58 AM   #58
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2759 Times on 1899 Posts
Likes Given: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

Hocka... From several of your posts I've detected a bit of "attitude" toward the enlisted men and the NCO corps? What gives? Did some crusty SGT eat your lunch back in your "shavetail" LT days?

Tack
Hmmm....it's possible he's ROTC..and some West pointer made his life miserable like some racist west pointer tried to make mine until he lost his cool and took a swing at me...last mistake he made in his career. Of course i have no stake either way as I was Direct Commission into the Warrant Officers Corps with a assoc. degree and a flight book...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 06-14-2013, 04:54 AM   #59

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJack View Post
Fingerless glubs to me have always = Look at me ,ima toughy
In my experience, anyone who called themselves a "Toughy" would quickly get their ass handed to them.

Thanks for the glove rec though, I may check them out!

Old 06-14-2013, 05:08 AM   #60

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

It seems the "fingerless" gloves became popular after the release of the movie "Jeremiah Johnson". Robert Redford wore these gloves. In very cold weather they allow too much exposure to your hands. The type with removable finger pockets are OK.