Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What's with the fingerless gloves?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4674 Times on 2260 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

Bingo...

I was trying to get this point across without make everyone else feel like a Pouge... as ProfBri just did... But I guess some times you just need to be blunt!

Well said Prof

Tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfBri View Post
So you never found that when you were out fighting evil, on patrol, guard duty, reconnoitering...whatever, that you had to engage in activities that required entirely different levels of say manual dexterity or multiple tasks necessitating very different tactile sensitivity? I would think that if I was say manning the SAW for an hour or so during an attack on our outpost in the bitterly cold Afghan mountains, then re-fortifying our positions afterward requiring a lot of digging and piling of earth you'd want your whole hand protected and warm, but when you needed finer motor control to guide the shovelful of dirt into the sand bag with one hand while holding it open just so with the other, I would think you'd want a different level of dexterity than the gloves used in the previous tasks of manning the SAW and digging frozen earth would have allowed. And what if right then you suddenly realized how very very badly you needed to pee? You run off with your bladder about to burst and realize when you are about to try and unbutton your BDUs faster than ever before that there is absolutely no way this last task can be done without significantly greater tactile sensation and manual dexterity than these heavy protective full fingered gloves will ever allow!

I find it hard, neigh impossible to believe that you could choose one pair of gloves that could ever be the right ones for every tat.sk you would be required to wear gloves for over an 8-16 shift on-duty in an active combat zone. Your chosen gloves might be the right ones for the weather, but they

Whereas, Me & My FINGERLESS gloves would have gone through that same scenario with no compromise in function ,and have stayed piss free and desert dry. No Problem, I do not think you could conceivably choose the right pair of full gloves for an entire stretch of duty.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:54 AM   #42

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Bingo...

I was trying to get this point across without make everyone else feel like a Pouge... as ProfBri just did... But I guess some times you just need to be blunt!

Well said Prof

Tack
Lol... You said pogue.

Quick, call someone a boot and make me feel at home!
Old 06-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 224 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 452

I never said I only brought one pair of gloves. I stated that I always prepared my equipment for what I felt the day may require. Often I had two or three different pairs of gloves in my bag. They take up little room, and allow you to switch gloves so you do not waste money . I do not really understand why people are getting their panties in a bunch because other people have a different point of view. I find this whole thread quite funny, IT's OVER GLOVES PEOPLE!!! To each their own I say.

I had friends who yes did cut their gloves, and that is what they liked. But I on the other hand, never felt the urge to. Maybe I am cheap and do not like the idea of cutting up a pair of gloves, when I could just have a few pairs on my bag to fulfill the role.

Either way what works for one may not work for another. Many hunters (which I am one) do not cut their gloves, and hunting requires good dexterity.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 06-03-2013, 04:24 AM   #44

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Wow, I had no idea this thread took flight! I wish my notifications were continuous. I seem to do this every time. Love y'all's replies.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 06-03-2013, 04:28 AM   #45

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Good info! Next time I go dispense some lead I'll try that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfBri View Post
I'll tell you why I use them...

Form and function. I have yet to find a full glove that fits well enough to give me decent manual dexterity, military gloves included. I can pull the trigger, no problem. Picking up a round from the ground, even in the best of conditions, problem. Not an insurmountable problem, but a problem nonetheless. I like to avoid problems.

It's a control thing. Control is good. My primary concern was maintaining control when moisture gets on my hands, the grip, stock, or other parts of the firearm-person integration system (lol). If I am shooting in a moist air environment, early morning by the coast being most relevant to me, or if I am likely to be sweating, I want to ensure maximum control over my weapon. The fingerless gloves give me greater control without the added moisture resulting from increased hand temp. I like more control when I am engaging in activities capable of killing something.

I like to see what I am shooting. Wiping sweat from your brow is a whole lot easier and more effective using your fingers than it is using the surface of most gloves, (yes, I realize that a small towel would be even MORE effective, but who the heck shoots with a towel???) And if/when something gets in your eye, it is counter-productive to stick your gloved finger in your eye to clear it. Seeing what you may be about to kill is a good thing.

I live in California. We are required to have a mag lock that can only be opened with a tool. The velcro closure of the gloves gives me an ideal place to keep the tool while shooting, and between shoots helps to prevent losing the tool. It is much harder for me to misplace my gloves than it is a 2mm X 58.8mm piece of otherwise useless, pointless, potentially harmful & completely unnecessary stick of metal!!! (But I'm not resentful, noooo. Saves lives it does).

Conservation of movement. If you have to do things fast, as is likely in any SHTF scenario, try this exercise: shoot for 30 minutes and take your full fingered gloves off as quickly as you can, drop them on the ground, pick them up and put them on as fast as possible. How much time do you spend with your full fingered gloves? In that time, I can circle out of your line of fire, reload and begin taking up a flanking position. All before you are able to look up again. I'd rather keep my eye on the ball than take those extra 10, or even five seconds to remove, pull the reversed fingers out, and replace my glove.

I live in CA. They look cool

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 06-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #46

The OP's original question was "what's with all the fingerless gloves" in post apocalyptic TV and movies... and what about them makes them good in a survival situation.

Perhaps I'm biased but I can not imagine a profession more qualified to answer this question than an Army or Marine Infantryman.

Several of us have weighed in as too why the fingerless glove is ideal... yet many others, through their experience "albeit limited" feel differently... and that's fine, to each their own...

...but... unless you've lived through multiple weeks or months on end "afield", living out of your ruck, carrying the weight of everything you own, performing all of the Infantry common tasks on a daily basis, while warding off injury, insects, and infections.... then you've gotta sit back and ask yourself if your trully qualified to answer the OP's question.

Tack

PS... Trip... It's LEG, not Boot, HERO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
I never said I only brought one pair of gloves. I stated that I always prepared my equipment for what I felt the day may require. Often I had two or three different pairs of gloves in my bag. They take up little room, and allow you to switch gloves so you do not waste money . I do not really understand why people are getting their panties in a bunch because other people have a different point of view. I find this whole thread quite funny, IT's OVER GLOVES PEOPLE!!! To each their own I say.

I had friends who yes did cut their gloves, and that is what they liked. But I on the other hand, never felt the urge to. Maybe I am cheap and do not like the idea of cutting up a pair of gloves, when I could just have a few pairs on my bag to fulfill the role.

Either way what works for one may not work for another. Many hunters (which I am one) do not cut their gloves, and hunting requires good dexterity.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:16 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post

Tack

PS... Trip... It's LEG, not Boot, HERO!
Maybe from the time and branch you're from! We called them boots, as in "fresh outta boot camp"

Old 06-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 224 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 452

Yep I guess your right. If your not infantry or a marine you must not know anything about how to properly dress yourself LOL I just figure to each there own, and it is personal preference. But I stand corrected, I guess I should go and take all my gloves and modify them. If it wasent for 11B guys I wouldn't know how to tie my shoes

Sorry I guess that was kind of mean. But I love how people assume that in order to have knowledge on a subject as simple as dressing yourself, you must be a marine or infantry in the army. It just kind of shows a persons age or lack of knowledge on what has been going on with increasing affect over the last 15 years or so. It is called joint task force operations. All the branches are slowly becoming more and more homogenized. It is more about what your job is in the service not the branch you are in.

For example I have family and friends who are in the marine corps, but they are 9 to 5 desk jockeys. IE supply and logistics guys. They shot the m16 in basic, and from they tell me that was it. Where as there are plenty of Navy and Air Force folks who are in a combat career field and must carry a weapon as a way of life and must qualify on a tri-monthly basis ( I was one ).

The branches are working together much more nowadays. My career field for instance, when we deploy we deploy with army infantry and the marine corps and work side beside them very often. We all do the job together and go through it together as a team. All the old stereotypes are dying. But some people sure like to hold on to the old stereotypes I guess. But was the service of my friends who got shot, hurt or are now buried any less noble than that of a Marine or Infantry man, because they were Air Force? I know what they did was just and noble and I miss them everyday.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

locutus Likes This 
Old 06-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #49

Quote:
Yep I guess your right. If your not infantry or a marine you must not know anything about how to properly dress yourself LOL I just figure to each there own, and it is personal preference. But I stand corrected, I guess I should go and take all my gloves and modify them. If it wasent for 11B guys I wouldn't know how to tie my shoes
Pretty sure all any of us were getting at is that different experience lend a different viewpoint on different subjects. As you see, several of us see a huge value in fingerless gloves, while many don't at all, and consider gloves to be nothing but warming layers.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #50

Tripp made my point perfectly 1 post up.

I've never derided anyone else's branch or MOS... As far as I'm concerned... A Veteran is a Veteran and I don't care if you were a Navy Seal or a Coast Guard Cook. Service is service... period... and every Vet deserves the publics respect.

The only point to recognize, is that the guys who live in the field and must carry the weight of any "snivel gear" upon there back... have a unique perspective on what works and what does not.

Yes, extra glove are compact and lightweight but for those of us who's first duty position was AG to the 60 gunner, packing 45lbs of support steel and 600 rounds of linked 7.62 x 57 on top of our basic rifleman combat load... any extra weight is unacceptable... we just figured out what worked... and made due... because comfort goes out the window when your entire home is in your ruck.

This "unique perspective" is directly relevant to the OP's questions. Personally, I don't care how many pairs of gloves a fellow want's to carry... If you can hump the weight, more power to you...

... just know, the if the S hits the F and your forced to stay on the move, living from a pack, extra snivel gear will be the first thing you drop...

...and the first time you need to move through dense wilderness... like PNW wilderness... all that extra crap hanging off the front of your AR grabbing every "wait a minute" vine and branch you pass... well... you get the idea.

Tack

Quote:

Sorry I guess that was kind of mean. But I love how people assume that in order to have knowledge on a subject as simple as dressing yourself, you must be a marine or infantry in the army. It just kind of shows a persons age or lack of knowledge on what has been going on with increasing affect over the last 15 years or so. It is called joint task force operations. All the branches are slowly becoming more and more homogenized. It is more about what your job is in the service not the branch you are in.

For example I have family and friends who are in the marine corps, but they are 9 to 5 desk jockeys. IE supply and logistics guys. They shot the m16 in basic, and from they tell me that was it. Where as there are plenty of Navy and Air Force folks who are in a combat career field and must carry a weapon as a way of life and must qualify on a tri-monthly basis ( I was one ).

The branches are working together much more nowadays. My career field for instance, when we deploy we deploy with army infantry and the marine corps and work side beside them very often. We all do the job together and go through it together as a team. All the old stereotypes are dying. But some people sure like to hold on to the old stereotypes I guess. But was the service of my friends who got shot, hurt or are now buried any less noble than that of a Marine or Infantry man, because they were Air Force? I know what they did was just and noble and I miss them everyday.
People Like This