What's with the fingerless gloves? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What's with the fingerless gloves?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 03:41 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5010 Times on 2429 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
I always have found that if you have the right glove for the job you do not need to change them. So get the gloves that will work for what you need and where. I was stationed in some really cold places ( -60 ) and had have been deployed to the middle east when it was getting warm ( 115 ). I never cut my glove fingers off. I always bought the correct gloves for my environment.
... and your MOS was?

Old 05-29-2013, 04:13 AM   #32

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I like my fingerless gloves. For me its about hand size. I got wide beefy hands, but short chubby fingers. Fingerless gloves are what I wear most when I do wear gloves. In cold weather I have to double up on gloves to keep my fingers warm, again when I need them.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:58 PM   #33

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

if I need more than ski gloves, I'm leaving that area, ASAP. :-) Too many other things about cold, snow, ice, etc, make for a helluva lot of risk and work, for no reason. Move a few hundred miles and you aint got those problems.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post

... and your MOS was?
I was security forces.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 06-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #35

Liked 5010 Times on 2429 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
I was security forces.
... a little vague there partner?

Super Secret Squirel Security Forces?

Old 06-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #36

Liked 814 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I love all the E and W-somethings on here. Truly. But it really does lower the average...

Last edited by HockaLouis; 06-01-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #37

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis
I love all the E and W-somethings on here. Truly. But it really does lower the average...
Average...? What?

Old 06-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post

... a little vague there partner?

Super Secret Squirel Security Forces?
Thats ok U.S. Air Force Security Forces.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

locutus Likes This 
Old 06-03-2013, 01:26 AM   #39

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default That's not REEEALLLLY the first things to go....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
Cant believe I'm jumping to hocks defense...

Could be that the gloves you're referring to are just the wrong gloves for the situation. It is impossible to manipulate gear with the wrong type of glove. With the right type of glove, your dexterity is increased because you have feeling in your finger tips, the first thing to go in cold weather. A skin tight faux leather works great in mild climates for protection. For colder weather, a looser fitting, full fingered glove works fine as insulation. In frostbiteville, the mitten/fingerless-glove combo comes in handy.
It seems to me that there are a couple of other things I can think of that may be the first to go "running for the high ground inside" shall we say, at the first hint of cold...don't you think???

Old 06-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #40

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default WOW! Really??

Quote:
I always have found that if you have the right glove for the job you do not need to change them. So get the gloves that will work for what you need and where. I was stationed in some really cold places ( -60 ) and had have been deployed to the middle east when it was getting warm ( 115 ). I never cut my glove fingers off. I always bought the correct gloves for my environment.
So you never found that when you were out fighting evil, on patrol, guard duty, reconnoitering...whatever, that you had to engage in activities that required entirely different levels of say manual dexterity or multiple tasks necessitating very different tactile sensitivity? I would think that if I was say manning the SAW for an hour or so during an attack on our outpost in the bitterly cold Afghan mountains, then re-fortifying our positions afterward requiring a lot of digging and piling of earth you'd want your whole hand protected and warm, but when you needed finer motor control to guide the shovelful of dirt into the sand bag with one hand while holding it open just so with the other, I would think you'd want a different level of dexterity than the gloves used in the previous tasks of manning the SAW and digging frozen earth would have allowed. And what if right then you suddenly realized how very very badly you needed to pee? You run off with your bladder about to burst and realize when you are about to try and unbutton your BDUs faster than ever before that there is absolutely no way this last task can be done without significantly greater tactile sensation and manual dexterity than these heavy protective full fingered gloves will ever allow!

I find it hard, neigh impossible to believe that you could choose one pair of gloves that could ever be the right ones for every tat.sk you would be required to wear gloves for over an 8-16 shift on-duty in an active combat zone. Your chosen gloves might be the right ones for the weather, but they

Whereas, Me & My FINGERLESS gloves would have gone through that same scenario with no compromise in function ,and have stayed piss free and desert dry. No Problem, I do not think you could conceivably choose the right pair of full gloves for an entire stretch of duty.