What's with the fingerless gloves? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What's with the fingerless gloves?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 03:54 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I have a pair and have used them extensively. When shooting, they provide a more comfortable grip, and protection when you grab a hot barrel (ouch). I even used them when I worked carpentry, last summer. When you grab a hot tool or piece of metal that's been in the MS sun all day, you're glad you have them suckers on. Even if your colleagues rile you about em.
As far as survivalist/prepping, they have come in handy while hiking, for grabbing jagged sticks and briars.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:55 AM   #22

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog
They're worn by the same prepper's that have solutions for keeping their iphones charged.
Hey now, solar chargers and bike generators are cool! XD
Old 05-28-2013, 04:06 AM   #23

Liked 4786 Times on 2315 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Good question. They are better than nothing and you are able to still work like pull a trigger. They are the exclusive glove of guys who think they are tough and/or those who don't know what cold really is...
Spoken like a guy who's never seen a single day of Infantry service!

From FT. Campbell KY to Sania Egypt, to Korea, and back to FT Lewis WA... every single infantry soldier I knew, worked with, trained with, or saw...

...cut the fingers off there black issue glove shells and inserts for 2 reasons:

A. it's impossible to manipulate your gear with your fingertips covered.

B. Grunts are always mobile...creating your own heat... Unless your on the tundra, and stationary, your fingers are not getting cold. And if you are, you've got trigger mittens in your pack.

Tack
People Like This 
Old 05-28-2013, 04:24 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Spoken like a guy who's never seen a single day of Infantry service!

From FT. Campbell KY to Sania Egypt, to Korea, and back to FT Lewis WA... every single infantry soldier I knew, worked with, trained with, or saw...

...cut the fingers off there black issue glove shells and inserts for 2 reasons:

A. it's impossible to manipulate your gear with your fingertips covered.

B. Grunts are always mobile...creating your own heat... Unless your on the tundra, and stationary, your fingers are not getting cold. And if you are, you've got trigger mittens in your pack.

Tack

Cant believe I'm jumping to hocks defense...

Could be that the gloves you're referring to are just the wrong gloves for the situation. It is impossible to manipulate gear with the wrong type of glove. With the right type of glove, your dexterity is increased because you have feeling in your finger tips, the first thing to go in cold weather. A skin tight faux leather works great in mild climates for protection. For colder weather, a looser fitting, full fingered glove works fine as insulation. In frostbiteville, the mitten/fingerless-glove combo comes in handy.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson
colmustard Likes This 
Old 05-28-2013, 04:42 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
Cant believe I'm jumping to hocks defense...

Could be that the gloves you're referring to are just the wrong gloves for the situation. It is impossible to manipulate gear with the wrong type of glove. With the right type of glove, your dexterity is increased because you have feeling in your finger tips, the first thing to go in cold weather. A skin tight faux leather works great in mild climates for protection. For colder weather, a looser fitting, full fingered glove works fine as insulation. In frostbiteville, the mitten/fingerless-glove combo comes in handy.
Temperature will dictate and I don't know what fancy full fingered high dexterity gloves may be available today but...

Winter Steelhead fishing in the PNW would not be described as "balmy" especially when the waters your fishing typically runs in the 40 degree range. Fingerless wool fishing gloves have served me well in ^^THIS^^ environment for 40 years...

Korean winters would not be described as "balmy" either but the same fingerless shells/inserts served me perfectly. They protected the hands and left perfect dexterity for manipulating everything from ruck straps, to magazines, to bootlaces, to eating, to wiping your ass.

...many of these tasks can not be done in full gloves and the first thing a grunt learns, "usually the hard way", is that life sucks without gloves. ^^THIS^^ is not a piece of equipment you wish to be removing more than necessary for fear of loosing them.

Tack

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 05-28-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Cattledog Likes This 
Old 05-28-2013, 04:55 AM   #26

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'll tell you why I use them...

Form and function. I have yet to find a full glove that fits well enough to give me decent manual dexterity, military gloves included. I can pull the trigger, no problem. Picking up a round from the ground, even in the best of conditions, problem. Not an insurmountable problem, but a problem nonetheless. I like to avoid problems.

It's a control thing. Control is good. My primary concern was maintaining control when moisture gets on my hands, the grip, stock, or other parts of the firearm-person integration system (lol). If I am shooting in a moist air environment, early morning by the coast being most relevant to me, or if I am likely to be sweating, I want to ensure maximum control over my weapon. The fingerless gloves give me greater control without the added moisture resulting from increased hand temp. I like more control when I am engaging in activities capable of killing something.

I like to see what I am shooting. Wiping sweat from your brow is a whole lot easier and more effective using your fingers than it is using the surface of most gloves, (yes, I realize that a small towel would be even MORE effective, but who the heck shoots with a towel???) And if/when something gets in your eye, it is counter-productive to stick your gloved finger in your eye to clear it. Seeing what you may be about to kill is a good thing.

I live in California. We are required to have a mag lock that can only be opened with a tool. The velcro closure of the gloves gives me an ideal place to keep the tool while shooting, and between shoots helps to prevent losing the tool. It is much harder for me to misplace my gloves than it is a 2mm X 58.8mm piece of otherwise useless, pointless, potentially harmful & completely unnecessary stick of metal!!! (But I'm not resentful, noooo. Saves lives it does).

Conservation of movement. If you have to do things fast, as is likely in any SHTF scenario, try this exercise: shoot for 30 minutes and take your full fingered gloves off as quickly as you can, drop them on the ground, pick them up and put them on as fast as possible. How much time do you spend with your full fingered gloves? In that time, I can circle out of your line of fire, reload and begin taking up a flanking position. All before you are able to look up again. I'd rather keep my eye on the ball than take those extra 10, or even five seconds to remove, pull the reversed fingers out, and replace my glove.

I live in CA. They look cool

Last edited by ProfBri; 05-28-2013 at 05:15 AM.
People Like This 
Old 05-28-2013, 05:02 AM   #27
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3163 Times on 2148 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Default OD Green?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
For shooters that know COLD weather- Trigger finger mittens

Attachment 102871
The Naval Aviation and the Army Air Corps(in WWII) issued that type of "shooting glove"...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 05-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Temperature will dictate and I don't know what fancy full fingered high dexterity gloves may be available today but...

Winter Steelhead fishing in the PNW would not be described as "balmy" especially when the waters your fishing typically runs in the 40 degree range. Fingerless wool fishing gloves have served me well in ^^THIS^^ environment for 40 years...

Korean winters would not be described as "balmy" either but the same fingerless shells/inserts served me perfectly. They protected the hands and left perfect dexterity for manipulating everything from ruck straps, to magazines, to bootlaces, to eating, to wiping your ass.

...many of these tasks can not be done in full gloves and the first thing a grunt learns, "usually the hard way", is that life sucks without gloves. ^^THIS^^ is not a piece of equipment you wish to be removing more than necessary for fear of loosing them.

Tack
...to clarify a bit more. By "fingerless", I'm not talked chopped off up to the where the first knuckle meets the hand. A good pair will cover the fingers down to the second knuckle... or slightly below leaving the Pads of the fingertips exposed.

This keep the meaty parts of the finger and hand protected from sharp objects, cold equipment, ambient temperatures, and moisture while maintaining dexterity.

Someone above mentioned the drill of "removing and re-doning" a pair of gloves... which is a great suggestion to prove a point.

Taking it a step further... I ask the doubters to consider the rigors of a 3 gun competition where reloading pistols mags, AR Mags, and Shotgun Shells is a part of your speed and overall score... now... Imagine your being shot at during all of this and will need to be hitting the ground hard and fast, time and time again.... and you begin to understand why people who fight with guns for a living always choose fingerless gloves.

The protection of the glove is mandatory and the dexterity of fingerless is essential.

...but I'm sure there are "kool Kid" civi's who wear them because they looked "bad ass" on Mel Gibson in the "Road Warrior" Saga!

Tack
People Like This 
Old 05-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 499

I always have found that if you have the right glove for the job you do not need to change them. So get the gloves that will work for what you need and where. I was stationed in some really cold places ( -60 ) and had have been deployed to the middle east when it was getting warm ( 115 ). I never cut my glove fingers off. I always bought the correct gloves for my environment.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 05-29-2013, 12:59 AM   #30

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Been afield in 115 degrees and hunting in -12. Never cut the fingers off myself. Always wear gloves at the range for pistols, mostly thin driving gloves, to protect them in the Summer. I even compete with longuns in the Winter - Browning Winter gloves (I would NEVER cut they as so nice, and expensive) or neoprene and faux leather duty gloves til it's below freezing that I never cut the fingers off of either.