Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   What's with the fingerless gloves? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/whats-fingerless-gloves-91208/)

Scratchammo 05-24-2013 06:40 PM

What's with the fingerless gloves?

I've seen several characters post apocalyptic movies & shows wearing fingerless gloves. They look cool but what's the benefit in survival situations.

DrumJunkie 05-24-2013 06:49 PM

Well, if you're selling newspapers in post apocalyptic NYC you will be able to make change easier...:D

Sonic82 05-24-2013 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes...seems the trend is opposite of what it should be.

Scratchammo 05-24-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumJunkie (Post 1257016)
Well, if you're selling newspapers in post apocalyptic NYC you will be able to make change easier...:D

Makes sense to me :rolleyes:

Scratchammo 05-24-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic82 (Post 1257041)
Yes...seems the trend is opposite of what it should be.

Nice shoes.

HockaLouis 05-27-2013 12:16 AM

Good question. They are better than nothing and you are able to still work like pull a trigger. They are the exclusive glove of guys who think they are tough and/or those who don't know what cold really is...

bluez 05-27-2013 12:18 AM

The benefit is they offer extra dexterity.

I dont bother with them as tactical gloves offer dexterity good enough for manipulating your weapon or picking things up and climbing.

And in a SHTF situation you cannot rely on surviving an infection.

c3shooter 05-27-2013 12:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For shooters that know COLD weather- Trigger finger mittens

Attachment 102871

trip286 05-27-2013 01:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In actual combat situations, they offer protection to the palms and backs of the hands, while leaving your fingertips free. I learned this lesson myself and have the scars on my palms to go with it.

If you see someone wearing them, and they're not actually engaging enemy combatants, or preparing to, it's the calling card of the "kool kids klub".

The scars have faded quite a bit in the past 8 years, not you may still be able to make a few out...

On the heel, below my thumb, along the 5th metacarpal, and several very faint ones running lengthwise between the creases. All superficial, but all annoying as hell. Y'all know how much of an annoyance it is to have to switch wiping hands? Damn.

Attachment 102872

HockaLouis 05-27-2013 01:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And these can be found pretty commonly nowadays... Look at ski gloves on sale sorta like C3's -- great for cold motorcycle riding too.

Say what you will, but decent and inexpensive imports, especially if you buy at the END of a season (buy for next Winter in Spring) as part of your preparations, make keeping extras (as in a Get Home or Bug Out Bag) cheap and easy.

In Winter you'll want to include those gloves, an insulating hat (I like a woven ski mask that can cover my nose), wool socks, a thin folding long-sleeve golf shirt, bigger boxer shorts, a poncho liner...