Whats for Dinner? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Whats for Dinner?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Black beans and meat

Whatever meat you can muster up. Cook on fry pan with some season salt, black pepper and onion powder.

In a pot put in black beans (use dry beans or canned beans, your choice)
Sweet corn may not be available but cow corn is readily available in farm country. While it is not very desireable by itself, added to black beans, it is actually pretty darn good and loaded w/ protein. If all you can get is dried corn, let soak in water for a few hours.

Cook beans in 4 cups of water, corn, and a handful of dried tomatoes (canned or fresh if you can get them) toss in some chili powder or chipotle pepper, garlic powder, and some ground black pepper. As the beans cook down the water will thicken making a great gravy.
Boil up some white rice (1 cup rice to 2 cups water)
When the beans are done place rice on plate with some meat on top. Cover with beans and sauce.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 07-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #22

How bout Italian tonight?

Duck spaghetti

1 duck
2 or 3 cans tomato sauce or 8 large fresh tomatoes
onion powder
garlic powder
leeks

If starting with fresh tomatoes: Boil tomatoes and have a pot with cold water nearby. After boiling tomatoes for 5 minutes remove and immediately put in cold water. The shock causes the tomatoes to pop out of the skin. Remove skins and set aside.
Mash up tomatoes and return to pot and place on fire. Add in a couple cup of water. Add in leeks (chopped) and add in 5 tablespoons of garlic powder, 3 tablespoons of onion powder. Let simmer and reduce.
Cook duck on open fire setting up a pot or fry pan to catch some of the drippings (you only want about a 1/4 cup of the drippins for the final stage...you can collect the rest to have for animal fat for cooking other stuff).
When the sauce is reduced and of good consistancy pull off heat and let stand while you cook your pasta.
Cook pasta and while thats going pull duck from bone. (Keep bone and the pieces still attached)
Add sauce, drippings, and duck. Put back on heat to simmer down for 5 minutes or so. Place pasta on your plate and cover in sauce.

After dinner put the duck carcass in a pot and boil that bad boy down for a couple hours. Now you have a stock to make soup for tomorrow. 1 duck 2 days worth of food!!

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 07-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #23

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

My brother has these two books and they are pretty good for identifying edible wild plants and their preperation as well as their other than food uses. Color detailed pictures help alot. Probably should get at least one of them for myself.

Books for Sale « Forager's Harvest

Old 07-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #24

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I am mainly looking at something that would be a spair of the moment thing while trying to survive long enough to get to safety and/ or home like maybe small game to include Rats if needs be. Gus you got my mouth wattering to no end and I hope to ty some of them you posted already.

I am hoping others will chime in and post what they have also.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #25

Season salt and garlic powder in the bug out bag will make most any meat more desireable. When you are on the move I advocate small fires and a sharp stick. Kill something, take the hide off it, jam a stick through it, poke the other end in the ground. Toss on some season salt and garlic and cook it till it's done. I usually dont like to eat wild game on the rare side because you want to make sure you dont get sick. A lot of water foul can make you sick if it is not cooked completely. If you down a larger animal, cook what you want for a fresh meal, smoke the rest. I have smoked venison at the camp that is kept in dry storage and I ate some yesterday morning. It has been in a zip lock bag since last November and it is still fine. No seasoning, no preservatives, just shoe leather smoked meat.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #26

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I keep a small shaker of Pepper and a larger one of salt, and will be adding Garlic.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #27

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I keep one of these in the backpack along with extra salt and pepper. Kind of neat little item.

Kenyon Multi Spice Shaker at REI.com

Old 07-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #28

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

When the SHTF times get lean, my "special supper" will probably include a lot of hardtack, spam jerky and coffee. Not great, but you can plan for tons of it with very little cost.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #29

With a little resoucefulness you can certainly eat better than that.
You need a good amount of flour to be able to make a large batch of hardtack. Splurging a little bit ($10-$20) you can amass enough stuff to go with all that flour and make drop biscuits. Easier to eat and a LOT better tasting. Hardtack will mold up like any flour product. With drop buscuits you can remove the outer molded part and still have food left. Do that with hardtack and due to the perforations and layering it does, you may have mold throught the hardtack.
If yer gonna buy spam, buy cheap beef and add in some spices then smoke that. Tastes better and you can make it into a lot more stuff. Add in some rice and you can make a tin cup gumbo.

Tin cup gumbo:

1 tin cup
4 pieces of jerky
1/4 cup of rice

fill cup with water, keep over fire till it boils. Add rice and shred the jerky and toss it in. Cook until rice is done. Add in any edible vegitation you may find (leeks, corn, fiddleheads, dried veggies, etc.)
Hardtack and jerky kept many a soldier alive to fight through many wars though.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #30

Damn good job Gus!

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." -George Mason
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!