Whats for Dinner? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Whats for Dinner?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Squirrels w/ red beans and rice.

One cup dried red beans, soak for at least 5 hours.
1 cup white rice.
3-4 squirrels.
I keep a spice pack in my BOB and I have a lot of spices in my supply room.
Measure off 4 tablespoons each of season salt and black pepper then 3 tablespoons garlic powder.
Cook squirrels until 3/4 done on open fire. remove from bone and set aside (let sit in drippings of you can cook on a pan)

Cook beans until almost tender
Add in rice and squirrel meat w/ drippings.
Add in season salt, black pepper, and garlic powder
let simmer until all cooked (rice and beans are tender)

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 07-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #12

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

That sounds good

Old 07-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #13

Roasted goose w/ wild leeks and fiddleheads.

Fiddleheads for those that dont know: Fiddlehead fern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I canadian goose, 1/2lb leeks, 1lb fiddleheads.

In a dutch oven place your goose (you may need to cut it to fit) with about 1" of water and put in 1/2 of your leeks (1/4 lb). Cook goose with a little black pepper on top. Roast goose until nearly done (fiddleheads cook in about 10 minutes).
Add in the rest of the leeks and add fiddle heads with 5 cups of water. If you dont have a big enough dutch oven, you can cook the leeks and fiddleheads in a seperate cooking pot and add when complete OR you can add the contents of the dutch oven to a larger cooking aparatus (a canning pot for example) cook on a low boil for about 10 minutes. Cook with some salt and some more pepper and garlic powder to taste. If you have flour you can add that to the juice and thicken it up to make a nice hearty gravy.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 07-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #14

I am getting hungry Gus and I just ate

Old 07-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #15

Simple venison chili:

Take the less desirable tough parts of venison or venison jerky you made because you know smoked meat lasts a long time and add to a brine of simple salt water. Let soak for a few hours.
Soak dried beans for at least 5 hours (any bean you like, I use navy beans for this) I use 1 lb of beans.

Drain brined meat and rinse.
Drain beans and put in cooking pot. Fill with water until beans are covered with 1-2" water. Cook beans until 1/2 done and add meat. Cook for another couple hours on a lower heat. Add in chili powder to taste. Add season salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper.
I like to add in some elbow macaroni to stretch the recipe to feed more folks but you can withhold that if you dont want it. If you choose to go with the noodles, you can add them after you add the meat or you can cook them seperate and add them in when you dine.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #16

I can do this for hours, I spent a lot of time out in the bush and have made some really good meals.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #17

Keep going, I am getting some good stuff here.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #18

Rabbit tacos:

1-2 rabbits
corn flour
corn starch
eggs
taco seasoning or chipotle seasoning (or both)
Leeks
dried tomatoes

Dice up rabbit meat into small pieces
Cook on medium heat with some oil (rendered animal fat works well for this)
Add your taco seasoning and hit it with some chipotle seasoning. When done place meat in a bowl and let stand while you make the soft taco shells.

Soak your dried tomatoes until they are rehydrated and kinda tender.

Shred leeks (you may want ot saute them, I like them fresh for this for the crunch.

Shells: in a mixing bowl add 2 cups mesa, 1 tsp starch, and 3 eggs. add in a hit of season salt. If you have some sugar, add in 2 tsp (you can substitute with honey or molasses) pour in water until you have someting the consistancy of a thicker pancake batter.
On a flat griddle or fry pan pour on a little oil (again animal fat works) and fry on each side until a golden brown.

Place rabbit meat on shell, top with leeks and tomatoes. If you have a little tobasco sauce, give it a hit of that.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #19

How about dessert?

5 cups of wild berries.
Flour
eggs
baking soda
baking powder
Whiskey

Take the berries and cook them down in a pot with a couple cups of water and one cup of whiskey. Add sugar, honey, molasses...or give it a smaller shot of all three.

Make a batter with the flour. Now, for best results use milk (cow, goat, sheep, people whatever you can get) but you dont NEED milk, you can use water.

Take a couple cups of flour and add in a couple teaspoons of baking powder and baking soda. Add in 3 eggs and a cup of milk. When you make this you can leave the batter a little stiff. Cook on fry pan in sizes about the size of a baseball. Cook until golden brown then add a layer of berries then a layer of pancake, then berries.....you get the hint. If it was a hard day of fightin or buildin, make a tall stack. If you are in a rush, make a short stack.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #20

Instead of me just piling out recipes, tell me what you got to work with and let me match it up with recipes I have. I say that because I have about 3 notebooks full of recipes I came up with and I could spend a LOT of time just throwing out ideas.

I always advocate having lots of supplies as far as spices, flour, rice, beans, baking supplies and such. So most of my recipes involve stuff readily available in nature combined with my supplies. I can tone it down and revise such things according to what I have on hand to work with.