Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   What is in your Bug Out Bag? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/what-your-bug-out-bag-1818/)

1984cj 08-26-2007 04:11 PM

What is in your Bug Out Bag?

What is in your bug out bag?
How big is it?
Do you have more than one for different occasions?

Right now I have my hunting gear packed into a bag but I am considering a purpose built bug out bag in case I need to relocate due to disaster.

Clayton 08-27-2007 01:04 PM

I do keep a couple of bags packed just incase, I have a bag that contains everyday stuff like clothes, wash kit, spare phone ( Just incase i need to leave the house in a rush )

I also have a bag in the car that has more of an outdoor feel to it,

3ltr water bladder
stove and gas
24hr ration pack
wet gear
glow sticks
torch
first aid kit
poncho
sleeping bag
1 man tent
roll matt
candles
towl and wash kit
axe and pruning saw
folding shovel

Nothing wrong with being prepared for the worst !

Steve

1984cj 08-27-2007 09:08 PM

Your "torch" took me be surprise. I had to look at your location to realize that the translation was "Flashlight" :D

AR Hammer 08-28-2007 03:39 PM

You know, propane torch isn't a bad idea!
Quick fires, good tool, doubles as a medical device.

LED lights and light sticks might be better...
You don't know when you are going to get replacement batteries!
A solar powered battery recharger and some rechargeable batteries would be a bad deal in the event of an emergency.

Clayton 08-28-2007 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AR Hammer (Post 7463)
You know, propane torch isn't a bad idea!
Quick fires, good tool, doubles as a medical device.

LED lights and light sticks might be better...
You don't know when you are going to get replacement batteries!
A solar powered battery recharger and some rechargeable batteries would be a bad deal in the event of an emergency.

Just to add, the torch ( Flashlight ) Is one of those DYNAMO POWERED 3 LED jobbies. So no need for batteries.

Steve

mtnscout 08-28-2007 07:58 PM

The solar battery charger is a good compliment to the wind up flash light. Think about how many things we use those batteries for beside light, GPS, Walkie Talkies, A radio to know what's going on in the world and etc. And you can get a charger for AA batteries for your cell phone.

AR Hammer 08-29-2007 02:10 AM

Yup, the local 'Auto Jerks' has AA & AAA battery chargers for about $20 and they charge from a cigarette lighter plug, so most of the solar chargers will work for them.
Not a far stretch to get them to charge C & D size batteries!

Those solar battery chargers are a good deal if you aren't going to drive a vehicle for a while, and now they can keep your small batteries charged too.

Another good point is the solar panels are pretty well infrared neutral, no extra heat to speak of like a generator would have.

And I'll be damned if I'm going to waste my time turning a hand crank to charge batteries when the sun will do it for free, and I don't even have to be around!!!

Besides, my night vision needs 3 volts to operate, and so does the illuminator, so I need some way to charge those batteries also...

The solar chargers are working just fine for our guys in the sand box right now, lap top batteries, equipment batteries, cell phone batteries, ect.

River Bend 08-29-2007 10:05 AM

a few of the basics

First of all, its not a bag but instead a Plastic/Rubberized, waterproof trunk,
GPS
All sizes Batteries
Solar radio & Flashlight
Compass
Water
First Aid kit
prescription drugs
Spare sidearm & extra ammo
Lantern
Stove
Propane bottles
candles
space blankets
tent (4 person)
snares
fishing kits
Survival knives
folding shovel
Folding Saw
para cord
telescope
binoculars
magnifying glass
mirror
light sticks
MRE's
various maps
Ghillie suit
Liquor
Powdered drink mixes (Gatoraid, etc)
Long range talkabouts
trip line alarms
survival manuals
Gas Masks
Hazmat suits
Sleeping Bags
Duct Tape
and a few things I won't list:eek:

AR Hammer 08-30-2007 07:49 AM

I'm not paranoid, but a lot of that stuff is in my jeep just from trail riding and farm work.

Healthy first aid kit.
Including sutures, scalpels, betadine, 'Quick Clot', eye wash, tooth ache/pain killer/diarrhea/bug bite/anti-biotic meds., ect.
Also has my bug repellant, sunscreen and small camo compact... It all fits nicely in a .50 Cal ammo can.
Stuff like I may need at any time, not just during 'Bug Out'...

Hygiene kit!
I didn't see much about hygiene listed here!
Deodorant, soap, shampoo, tooth brushes, field cleaning towels, washcloths, Toilet Paper ect.
Staying healthy is a primary concern, so hygiene is very important!
Extra socks and underwear are always welcome!

Tools and spare parts, tire repair, grease/lube for the heep jeep... Jumper cables/welding leads, welding rods, ect.

Overnight/Camping equipment, just in case I get stuck out there overnight or need to stay for some reason.
Some high energy food, water, small batch heating for food/water (Canteen cup, stove, fuel sticks), 5 gallons of fuel and 5 gal. potable water in 'Jerry' cans...
Matches and tender are a large plus if you get stranded or have to leave civilized areas (read Motels & Restaurants!).

The usual Jeep stuff you need every trip in Indiana in the spring and fall,
Rain poncho, Military shelter poncho, space blanket, moderately heavy jacket, heavy 'Hi Lift' jack, spare tire and wheel, shovel, axe, large pry bar, lots of climbing equipment with rope, LED and standard lights, flairs, fire extinguisher, ect.

The jeep already has communications gear, CB radio, AM/FM, personal com radios, batteries and battery charger, Solar battery maintainer, ect.
All stuff we use on the trail rides and/or camping...

There is usually a 1911 and extra mags/ammo in the lock box under my seat & often times a AR-15 in the back, but that is just part of country/farm living...
There is usually a .22LR conversion, ammo/mags for an AR-15 in my glove box, but that is just a left over from hunting season or target shooting sessions...

If I had to 'Bug Out' there would be a few extra things I'd take...
My long range rifle/optics/night vision/butt pack with range finder, binocular & spotting scope,
AND, a shot gun, extra ammo for all,
Extra food, heavier duty cloths and larger scale gas powered cooking stuff,
More gas, I can support an extra 20 Gal. in just externally mounted jerry cans, more if needed...

The Full Size Jeep (FSJ to jeepers) has a full over head rack that can accommodate half the stuff in my house and it's as big as a camper inside!
We even have a shower stall rigged into the FSJ when it's awning is out!
Nothing like sleeping in the air conditioning or heat in a tent on top of the vehicle!

I'm much more worried about tornadoes/flooding here in Indiana or hurricanes/wild fires in Florida than I am worried about some government /NATO/UN/NASA/CIA/MSNBC/SNAFU/ Boy Scout invasion... or what ever!

RONSERESURPLUS 09-14-2007 11:22 PM

BOB Contents

Hello all

Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

I have and like to varry what I carry in my Van Kit (BOB) and my carry BOB:

1. E German or CFP-90 Assault pack

2. Leatherman Wave or gerber Multi tool

3. Small shovel or Trowell

4. MRE or home Made Meal kits (I.E. Soups, Crakers, energy stuff)

5. Plastic sheeting large

6. Para cord 50 or 100 ft lengths

7. P-38 or P-51 (Can openers)

8. K-Bar Field Combat Knife/ Copy A G Russel Sting 1A

9. Poncho and Liner 2 = Lite sleeping bag

10. Small pack playing cards

11. Small snare kit/Fishing kit with line and all gear

12. Zippo Lighter/Small can fuel

13. Butane Rugged windproof lighter,/ small can fuel

14, Magnify glass

15. Brit or strike anywhere matches

16. Weather radio/SW and pocket radio combo

17. 8X20 field glass small and lite

18. 1 or 2 QT Canteen with 1 Qt cup, stove and cover

19. Water filter straw or water pure pump

20. spare set of lite chance of dress

Thier is more in each kit, but mind just won't recall and ghate to unpack it all! LOL