What Are You Prepping For?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What Are You Prepping For?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 02:52 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1309 Times on 851 Posts
Likes Given: 2747

Default What Are You Prepping For?

It was pointed out in the “What Have You Done Lately” thread by TekGreg that a lot people are preparing for different levels of bad, and different outcomes. People are prepairing for everything from a couple of weeks of the power being out to “EOTWAWKI”. So just out of curiosity, what are you preparing for and what do you think the likelihood of various events happening are?

Myself, I guess more than anything I’m preparing for the Great Depression Part II. I think the odds of that happening are roughly 50/50.

SHTF: Possibility but not very likely on a large scale for an extended period, but certainly worth being prepared for.

EOTWAWKI: Not very likely. Not counting war, I don't think it has occurred for Western civilization since the fall of Rome or possibly the Black Death? I think all good preparedness plans assume the worst and this it, but I think it is also extremely unlikely.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-16-2011, 02:58 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I wouldn't say I'm preparing for a total zombie break out but the AR I'm building is gonna just fine for disposing of them I have come with ideas of what to do incase of a SHTF situation, right now would I be prepared to stick it out? Nope. But in a few years that will change

"It's not how big your stick is, it's how hard you swing it."

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives.
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.
Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation take me home?"

Old 11-16-2011, 03:43 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

For the most part, I'm prepping for extended social unrest (zombie outbreak) due to the failing economy.

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 11-16-2011, 03:49 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

After surviving Katrina and living through the after math not far from the coast I am Preping for another 6 to 8 week STHF. not much different than the total Zombie just less body part flying hopefully.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:41 AM   #5

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

This economy is a house of cards right now, I'm preparing to seclude myself from everyone.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 11-16-2011, 04:52 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Let me start by saying that I am fairly new to this. I grew up learning always to keep enough around in case of an ice storm, hurricane, power outage, etc. Recently I have begun stocking up more. My plan right now is to pick up extra canned/dried food each time I go to the grocery store and slowly acquire other essential items (fire starting materials, ammo, candles, etc.)

I am not doing this for one specific situation, but for a wide range of situations. On the mild end of the spectrum for example, temporary power outages from a storm, etc. are about 100% likely here within the next year. Even today, workers took our community well offline for several hours and I needed some of my bottled water. For a SHTF situation, I would say that we are better prepared than most, but would still have a long way to go. This is something that will have to slowly be built up over time, especially with some uncertainty right now regarding my job situation. However, I can say that compared to a year ago, we are in a much better place. We have gone from having no guns in the house to having several each and now have a couple months worth of food, bleach, fire starting materials, and lots more. (I am still researching water filters.) I would like to eventually be more self sufficient and prepared to get through six months to a year if needed, but everyone has to start somewhere and live within their means.

I do think that economic troubles are likely in the near future. I am no economist, but the debt, out of control spending, money printing, and resulting inflation concern me a lot. I guess the biggest concern here is scarcity of food, water, and necessities plus civil unrest. Again, I am probably better prepared than most people, but not naive enough to think I won't be affected. If things get bad, we will really have to stick together with our neighbors and even then there are no guarantees.

I am not sure how likely a severe SHTF situation might be. It could certainly happen. I read One Second After and it really made me think. I also read some of the BOB suggestions on here and decided it would be a good idea to put a bag together to keep in my car in case I should need to get home on foot one day. I would rather be prepared than not, should it be from an EMP, snowstorm, breakdown, etc.

If nothing should come to pass other than the occasional bad storm, I will at least have plenty of food, ammo for the range, and other truly useful things. If nothing else, I can always donate to the food bank if it doesn't all get eaten. I would not be surprised, though if we see some tough consequences from our mismanagement of money as a nation.

I guess for me it makes sense to slowly build up supplies as I am able, learn what I can from others, and pray for God's help.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:31 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Shadamai, take a look at this water filter setup. I have two of them. They're inexpensive and pretty effective. Water Filtration System Assembly | Monolithic

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

While current economic circumstances got me into prepping, these days I do it as a chosen lifestyle change to eat better, decrease my personal spending, and reduce stress. No one knows what will happen but imaginations can run wild. Rather than live in a perpetual state of "oh crap, what if THIS happens?" I prefer to have my bases covered so I can think about more pleasant things.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

TEOTWAWKI won't happen but with all the political and social unrest in the world today, we never know what will happen.
Also, for the past week we were pointed at a large spot of solar activity from the sun. Never know what could happen there.
Solar flares, US lowering debt rating, Occupy everything, too much going on right now. I guess we are just preparing for an impending economic meltdown.

Tim

Plus, my wife lets me buy some cool toys to stash in one of my bags (GHB, BOB).

The Second Amendment makes all the others possible.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like guns. I like camping. I like gardening and I like DIY. I don't like going to the store more than once a week. I don't like that our homes, garages and storage units are full of junk and yet when the Gas Co Of New Mexico turned off the gas in the coldest weather in 39 years, minus 16 to 22 deg people had nothing to eat or drink or a back up way to heat their house. My wife said she was not worried if they shut the gas off to our area because she know I was prepared to keep my family fed, safe and warm. Benefits of not stopping at the stores all the time, I've lost 30 lbs without trying. No more big gulps or big macs. My sodium is so low the Dr told me to add salt to my diet. I have been on a low sodium diet for the last 8 yrs since I got my broken heart. Who knew it was 7-11 and McDonald's fault. I also have a lot more money. We do so much spending on impulse that we don't realize how much junk we get. I now mostly shop online I have an online debit card from the credit union that I never keep more than $50 in. When I make an online purchase I transfer money into it. That is prepping too. The odds are good I'll never shoot MBZs I do see the day where I spray a lot of OC on people causing civil unrest. Just be ready for "what ever my come" and save your money. Who knows you may loose some weight too.