What is WRONG with people today!?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What is WRONG with people today!?

View Poll Results: What do you believe is the most common reason people fail to defend themselves?
Fear of arrest. 8 16.67%
Media brainwashing. 12 25.00%
Wrong philosophy of life. (peace, man!) 13 27.08%
Other reason-I'll make a post to explain. 15 31.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What is WRONG with people today!?

You read it everyday; in newspapers, magazines, books, on TV-everywhere!

"Local man/woman/old lady/child/FAMILY[of 7!] (fill in the blanks) killed by burglar/carjacker/gang banger/sex maniac/child molester (again, fill in the blanks) today."

What do 99.9% of these victims have in common?

NO GUN (knife, club, flower pot, machete, rake, etc.) there to DEFEND their life with!

Is it media overload, death wish, complacency, fear, brainwashing, what?

I don't get this...why do folks think their lives are going to be all peachy-creamy all the time, or don't even care enough to defend it, and their loved ones?

Scratching my head, daily....I am-

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2009, 05:24 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I believe people put too much faith in the system.

"911 will save me". Takes about 2 minutes for them to get to my house. 2 minutes is enough time to kill or seriously maim a person, and get away.

"We have gun control laws, so Joe Criminal cant possibly get his hands on weapons because its illegal". There is a reason we call them CRIMINALS. They have no regard for the gun control laws, or any law for that matter. Someone posted the "Gun Free Zone Sign" video, which is so very true. People don't understand that.

Although, recently, it seems that a lot of the crimes being committed today are by people that the victims knew, loved, and trusted. Fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers, children, aunts, uncles, close family friends, etc...killing each other, raping each other, assaulting each other, stealing from each other....

Last edited by falseharmonix; 09-20-2009 at 05:26 PM.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:41 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Personally, fear of arrest is a factor as I was a LEO in my younger years and saw how expensive it is to defend yourself in court, even if you are innocent. I am retired and don't have the money for this expense. That said, I will defend my home and family.
I know better than to believe the media but many listen to their advice not to resist, go along and do what the perpertrator tells you and you won't be hurt lies and end up getting themselves and their famalies hurt or killed.

America: Love it and protect it or leave it!
In God I Trust
I Support Arizona

Old 09-20-2009, 06:02 PM   #4

Liked 434 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

i think alot of people are just not prepared,its a, it won't or cant happen to me mentality.they leave there guard down at all times and never consider there options in a life or death situation.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

many people, including gun owners, have never before encountered a life and death situation. everyone thinks "oh, it can't possibly happen to me." and then it happens and they get hurt/die. criminals arent brave people, if you stand up to them early on they'll either run or you'll have the advantage in the fight. no, not everyone can become a world class shooter or trained combatant, but an attempt should be made to learn.

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:16 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Wrong philosophy of life.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #7

I don't see how people cannot plan to defend themselves - Just turn on the nightly news in any decent sized city - the first 3 stories are usually some mixture of murder, rape, or some other violent crime... I say to my wife, "I don't know why they call it the news, it should be the nightly police report..."
It's kind of depressing and the main reason I don't watch the local nightly news...

While I was in Israel, these kinds of crimes just didn't happen very often. We would take our dog out for a walk at midnight and feel perfectly safe (Even if he wasn't a Rottweiler ) and there would be other people out walking (for exercise) as well. I think it is a combination of things:

- Since most of their neighbors are hostile toward them, they realize the there are more important things to worry about than harming their fellow countrymen

- armed security wherever people gather, armed military presence (nothing formal/official unless it's a checkpoint at the westbank or something so it's not like a police state with armed patrols roaming around - it's generally pretty casual, they have their weapon with them while traveling, waiting at the bus stop, eating at McDonalds, shopping, etc...) - You figure (almost) every 18 - 21 year old is in the military since they have mandatory military service there (Something I think we should do - might help keep some of these kids out of trouble...)

With the Rottweiler around I feel pretty safe in my home and that it will stay safe when I'm not there. In addition I plan to purchase a shotgun for home defense as well as a .45...

Old 09-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #8

Default What is WRONG with people today!?

Thanks, Joe!-

Great weigh-in from the land of Israel..appreciate you contributing to this thread. Keep those tales from there coming; it's very interesting for us, here.

Buddy Beau-

Last edited by themanbeau; 09-20-2009 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Punctuation correction.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #9

Whoops, I forgot to update my profile... We returned to the US a couple months ago... fixed

Old 09-20-2009, 07:41 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2993 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 278

sheeple. It can't happen to me! Self reliance and responsibility are all but lost. "The police will save me." I see it on a smaller scale with property crimes victims. They want me to fix all their problems. I had a victim that got a bunch of stuff stolen. I recovered 90% of her property and arrested the turd. She actually filed a complaint because I did not recover the rest of her property! She invited the little thieving bastard into her house and was adamant that I must turn back the clock and make it like the crime had never happened. Screw you, biotch.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Closed Thread