Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What would you grow?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #41
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8622 Times on 3735 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Well, the problem with "long pig" is disease transmission. Plus your neighbors will talk about you. Makes middling fertilizer, tho. If the "shoppers" have 4 legs- well, sure! I fed them, turnabout is fair play- altho an Eastern Whitetail is only gonna give you about 70 lbs of meat. I eat what I hunt now, why change then? Altho if SHTF, deer, rabbits, and squirrels are gonna get scarce real quick, and step very lightly around people.

Mention of the hemp cultivation brought back a smile- daughter lived in tiny little town, North Central Kansas. Visiting her for first time, walked out in back yard, growing on far side of back fence was.... HOLY CRAP! Daughter walked out, calmly said "Relax, Pop. That's ditchweed." Leftovers from hemp rope cultivation. Local PD never bothered with it, and never bothered anyone about it- except for the ocassional tourist that would be stopped on the road shoulder, pulling up plants and stuffing them in a car trunk.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Well, the problem with "long pig" is disease transmission. Plus your neighbors will talk about you. Makes middling fertilizer, tho.
First of all, Trade will be the only way to aquire new products and seeds.
Not everyone will be able to grow everything they need in a 1 acre garden!

Secondly, I believe you have to be one sick puppy to even joke about eating a human.
(Proving once again that at any given time 15% of the population is seriously mentally ill-- and that 15% all seem to gravitate towards internet forums)

Third, I would be very hard pressed to shoot or even run off a starving man! I'm a country kid, and turning away a hungry soul isn't in our doctrine.

Fourth, Hunger is a POWERFUL motivator!
If the guy is hungry, then PUT HIM TO WORK!
An extra set of hands will make things go MUCH faster, even if it's just having him cut fire wood or dig holes for storage or sanitation pits, or dig fence post holes!

Quote:
If the "shoppers" have 4 legs- well, sure! I fed them, turnabout is fair play- altho an Eastern Whitetail is only gonna give you about 70 lbs of meat. I eat what I hunt now, why change then?
I wouldn't complain about 'Little' if your diet consisted of flour paste!
Besides, with little or no refrigeration, meat won't last long unless you can it immediately or eat it.
No matter what people say, Rabbits, Squirrels, Coons, ect. have provided millions of more pounds of meat than deer have simply because of their numbers.

Quote:
Altho if SHTF, deer, rabbits, and squirrels are gonna get scarce real quick, and step very lightly around people.
When I was a kid growing up in the 60's-70's, the deer population was still trying to recover from the depression, meat rationing in during WW II When they were hunted to extinction around here, and had to be re-introduced...
Now they are thick as flies, but that wouldn't last long if the grocery stores stopped selling meat grown in south America or Produce grown who knows where...

Quote:
Mention of the hemp cultivation brought back a smile- daughter lived in tiny little town, North Central Kansas. Visiting her for first time, walked out in back yard, growing on far side of back fence was.... HOLY CRAP! Daughter walked out, calmly said "Relax, Pop. That's ditchweed." Leftovers from hemp rope cultivation. Local PD never bothered with it, and never bothered anyone about it- except for the ocassional tourist that would be stopped on the road shoulder, pulling up plants and stuffing them in a car trunk.
City people are stupid!
We still see that around here sometimes too.
We get a lot of tourists through here, headed for the 'Amish' colony up the road, and they will stop and try to buy your garden tools right out of your hands so they can hang them on a wall for decoration somewhere!

Cleaning out fish traps, we throw the 'Blue' cats and most of the carp in a pile for fertilize,

Well, every once in a while some city guy will be around and want to buy a big old mess of those Blue cats because he wants to have a 'Catfish Fry!'...
I usually tell them those aren't good for anything but making roses and beans grow, but they don't listen!
And if the still want to buy them afterwards, I'm more than happy to take their money!

When we squeeze the corn stalks, people always want to buy the corn ears that are laying around we normally feed to the livestock...
We try and explain this isn't 'Sweet Corn' like they think it is...
But we'll sell them the ears anyway when the insist, and they almost always insist!

I've been trying to find a way to sell them 'Amish Air' but I can't find the right label....

Old 10-13-2008, 12:45 AM   #43

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I would grow 3 crops if possible. The first and the one I would grow the most of....corn. Corn is relatively easy to grow if you know how. I live next to a large corn field, the farmers plant it and don't return to the field for months.

Second, potatoes. Another easy crop to plant and grow, I plan to grow some next year.

Third, tomatoes. Tomatoes are a little more involved. Once they sprout, you have to set up some sort of framework for them to grow up through to keep the tomato off the ground. Plus, I love to eat tomatoes like apples with a salt shaker.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 10-13-2008, 01:00 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I would grow 3 crops if possible. The first and the one I would grow the most of....corn. Corn is relatively easy to grow if you know how. I live next to a large corn field, the farmers plant it and don't return to the field for months.

Second, potatoes. Another easy crop to plant and grow, I plan to grow some next year.

Third, tomatoes. Tomatoes are a little more involved. Once they sprout, you have to set up some sort of framework for them to grow up through to keep the tomato off the ground. Plus, I love to eat tomatoes like apples with a salt shaker.
im with you on the corn, potatoes, and tomatoes. i'd also want to produce some sort of bean for protein needs in the diet.

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

"Rosie O'Donnell blames guns for murders, but nobody blames spoons and forks for Rosie O'Donnell"

Old 11-03-2008, 02:05 AM   #45

Default 4 Crops

I would grow corn, beans, squash, and potatoes. They will all keep for a long time without refrigeration or canning.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:15 AM   #46
cbw

Potatoes are good and the also can be used to make Vodka

[The odds are always 50/50

Old 11-03-2008, 03:58 AM   #47

Default What would you grow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayjeannie View Post
I would have to grow a lot of root produce, spuds, carrots, beets. they keep a long time. Corn, wheat,and oats. berries, different types of beans. I would grow some chickens a pig or two and a milk cow. I would also grow a bigger attitude toward trespassers
I am in agreement.

A armed man is a citizen. A unarmed man is a subject.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:55 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoirier22114 View Post
I don't know about cannablism, if i was starving yes, if not you could burn the body for energy to warm your shelter or just leave it at the edge of your location as a warning
Pigs will eat anything. Great way to dispose of the body AND convert it to edible protein!

Burning bodies REALLY stink..........

Old 11-14-2008, 04:41 AM   #49

Default Here's is what I grow

As a poor kid, I grew up living off our Grandpa’s Garden and orchard and our garden. Until I was a teenager, I didn’t know vegetables or peaches came in anything other than mason jars.

After 30 year’s of no gardens, my daughter and I got back into a home garden a couple of years back. We grow enough on her country home garden (our main) 30ft x 120 ft and my smaller back yard garden to provide most of the veggies for her family of three and my family of 3. My wife home cans and freezes and I do the dehydrating.

We grow a lot of different veggies, but our main volume crops are Bush Green Beans, Sweet Corn, storage onions, Drying Beans, beets, carrots and Tomatoes. We also grow Irish Cobbler potatoes but we really don't have enough ground to have enough to really store them.

We normally have 25 – 30 tomato plants scatted between the main garden and my back yard. I grow over ½ of them in my yard in ½ barrels, home made planters and some in the ground.

We grow several different pepper varieties from sweet to extra hot. These I also grow mostly at my house in planter containers squeezed in wherever I can get good sun on them. In the first few years I had trouble saving pepper seeds and getting good germination, but finally found my problem in the Seed to Seed book. Through trial and error, I have finally got a selection of peppers I grow ever year. These we pickle, dry and freeze.

We also multi-crop. We match up our plantings so we can get up to three different crops in some sections, two plantings from others and a few long term crops like watermelons and corn. By mixing and matching we get a pretty productive garden.

We grow mostly Open Pollinated, Heirloom when ever we can. We also collect and save a lot of our seed where practical.

We supplement the OP's with some store bought, hybrid varieties just for the extra yields for a few things but really try to stick with OP's as a just in case.

The "Seed to Seed" book to be really helpful as a reference of how to harvest, prepare and store your seeds. You can get it online in used form from almost any of the book sellers or from: http://www.seedsavers.org/Content.aspx?src=savingheirlooms.htm

There are tons of good sources online to purchase seed. We have found a few sites like Jonnies Seeds which have decent prices, but we also use The Seed Exchange, Gurnee’s, Burpee’s, and Henry Fields. Right now Henry Fields has $25.00 off your order of $50 or more for a limited period. Most of them have online specials through out the year. Most of the sites will be putting up their new new 2009 offerings from now thru December.

Depending on your climate and soil, you can plant long-term crops like raspberries, asparagus, and others. You just have to do your research and put in the effort. Even in my back yard, I have twenty Asparagus plants, a strawberry plot, walking onions, and other stuff along fences, by the shed, etc. I also always grow peas in the spring along the margins between the farmer’s field behind me and my back fence (on his side of the fence of course).

If I had an Acre of ground I would surely grow a enough potatoes to give you enough to store what your family needed all winter long. The hard part is trying to keep any as seed stock. I haven’t had any luck; I always have to buy ours.

As far as sweet corn goes, we plant just enough of the OP, heirloom corn to make sure that we can harvest about 1/2 to eat and save and dry the rest for our if SHTF storage. We also grow a lot more of the SE hybrid corn to make sure we fill the freezer. The OP corn just doesn’t have the yield or flavor of the hybrids, but you can’t save hybrid seed, it doesn’t work.

If you have enough room, you can use edible landscaping. Here is a site I have gotten a few things off of:
http://www.ediblelandscaping.com/?gclid=CInLud7W6JUCFQuYQAodLns6eg

If you are really interested in a big garden, first make sure you have a good source for manure. We really push our main garden, but I have the luxury that my son in law’s father grows feeder cattle so we really load and till the garden up in the fall with a lot of …. Then side fertilize throughout the growing season with aged manure composite.

We have already planned our garden for next year, figured out our rotations and follow-on planting schedules and what we will be ordering. I am placing the orders now and asking for deliver asap. I'll be starting our sets for our early crops in Mid- feb.

Good sources for more specific information abounds on the net.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:57 PM   #50

Likes Given: 1

Hey guys, anyone tried to keep the weeds, grass, ect out of a 1 acre garden without a tractor or tiller? I have, and it will put lots of blissters on you. I'll go with Righteous untill I get out gunned.