Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What would you grow?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2008, 01:14 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

What would I grow?

Old. Healthy and gracefully. Picking off all o' you 'uns that think it's okay to take from me and mine to give to you and yours. Yep, picking 'em off, right up to and including that last day.

Potatoes? Well, just be prepared for the myriad diseases that can wipe them out in a premanent way in any given area.

Imagination's a great thing. All the things we'd do, the mighty men we'd be, all that sort of stuff... truth is: Most men will, at some point in their life, profess to love someone so much that they would willingly lay down their life for them. In reality, few that make the claim will ever be called upon to do so, but vow it anyway, simply because they do not realize that physical death is not the thing required to protect or preserve the life of another. Sometimes it means giving up a destructive lifestyle or habit, sometimes it means concealing the love for that person and walking away before ever beginning a relationship, leaving them to live a richer and happier life without themselves being in their loved one's life. And yes, every once in a great while it may require that we die in order to save the life of another but it is so rare as to be an unreasonable proposition. And that, perhaps, may be the very reason that so many profess a willingness to do something that will most likely never be demanded of them. The simpler sacrifices, though - well that would actually require a degree of character and commitment, wouldn't it? And so it is that most will never do those "lesser" things for loved ones. Or do for society, in a broader sense, those things that would PREVENT the "SHTF" in the first place. We no longer have a society that understands the meaning of "Civic Duty," let alone one that likely ever heard the phrase. It hasn't been taught in schools since -- what, the sixties? Fifties? Wow... ditto for "sacrifice." Anyways... Yeah, we can talk about TEOTWAWKI all day, all night, and some actually do just that, but in the end? ...it's all just talk. Just as battle plans become meaningless after the first shot is fired, most if not all of this will perish from our minds long before WE perish.

Anyhow... I admit it's got a lot of attraction and I do a LOT more thinking about it than most folks I know. I just got a little carried away.

Think about perennials -- fruit trees where appropriate, grapes, etc., since they get planted once, and even though they don't produce for the first few years or so, they'll be producing for a LONG time after that.

Another thing I rarely see in these types of discussions is the nomadic aspects of life after the SHTF. Most would find it a better option than staking out a place and defending it all the time. Moving target, y'know? Besides, for those of you that would be considering becoming thugs - I mean predatory lenders - or whatever - nomads have a greater chance of survival because YOU know where the OTHER guys are staking claims and planting crops JUST FOR YOU to come and pillage and plunder, etc. So for me? A pirate's life indeed.

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered. ...A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason."

~ Thomas Paine, January, 1776, from "Common Sense"

Old 05-03-2008, 01:27 AM   #22

I thought about growing pot. Then decided not to, because if I smoked it I would just be that much hungrier, and I would be to unmotivated to go take somebody else's food.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:12 AM   #23

well if shtf, i'm pretty set, i'm in a very rural setting, with a few apple and pear trees, tons of wild blueberry and strawberry bushes. and a garden with potatoes,peppers beans, peas, carrots beets onions and wild garlic, along with a few herbs, i wish i could grow green and black tea but can't, and i already have 5 laying hens so eggs are no problem and worse comes to worse i could raise the chickens for food too, and add a few rabbits to the mix good to go

Last edited by mpoirier22114; 05-28-2008 at 10:34 AM. Reason: add some

Old 05-31-2008, 05:53 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoll View Post
pot
if you all read the mother earth news
you can make fuel out of it
you can make close and food too
i think the small minded thinking this world is in wont like my choice
but i would grow weed as my staple
i saw somewhere that the first engine henry ford designed ran on a hemp based gas. i havent done any research to whether thats true or not, but if its true, the government has been missing out on a huge area to tax. if they legalized for fuel, rope, smoking, thats a whole realm of taxes that would only help the economy, and lower gas prices.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:16 PM   #25

i figure if i join a paligamist colony in the midwest i'll have an endless supply of babies of to eat.
but for real, i grow, string beans, letuce, peppers, and herbs.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:22 PM   #26

Corn because it can be stored. Cabbage and cauliflower because they have a very long growing season and resist freezing temperatures well. Oak Trees! Potatoes for all of the above reasons. Hot peppers and dandelions because I love them! Tomatoes if I could get them. I've already got the apple and pear trees; and, every summer, the backyard is full of raspberries.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:52 PM   #27

I would grow pot. I would grow pot in a SHTF scenario just because I know that it would enable me to eat things that I would not consider eating, (like the ass out of a dead skunk for instance - with some garlic salt and nachos of course).

I just made myself hungry.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:54 AM   #28

i would think that growing potatoes and watermelon would prove best in any situation. they seem like the best "bang for the buck" crop.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
Corn because it can be stored. Cabbage and cauliflower because they have a very long growing season and resist freezing temperatures well. Oak Trees! Potatoes for all of the above reasons. Hot peppers and dandelions because I love them! Tomatoes if I could get them. I've already got the apple and pear trees; and, every summer, the backyard is full of raspberries.
is corn hard to grow?

Old 06-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltm4 View Post
is corn hard to grow?
No, just don't place it on the south side of the garden. It does take a lot of fertilizer, though; and I do irrigate frequently.

(I've never admitted this before; but I've, 'recycled' all of our household dog and cat poop throughout the gardens for years - As long as you bury it fairly deep underneath the plant, it works great!)