Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What would you grow?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #11
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
got enough of and the right guns ya dont need to grow anything, just take it away from those that arent as well armed
There's a big element of honesty in that post and one I share as well. Bottom line, I'll do what I need to in order to see to my family and that includes taking things from others.

But I'm also making an effort to see to it that I have what is needed to remain self-sufficient.

As for growing things...I have some land, but it's all wooded and unsuitable for any decent crop. (There's no shortage of deer, wild turkey and smaller game.) I'd really like to buy some acreage and become more knowledgeable and self-sufficient sooner than later. But, the wife has other plans for our money. Ah, martial bliss....

Old 04-07-2008, 10:19 PM   #12

Default what would you grow

True that, but they, who ever they are would have to find it first, and get past the attitude.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:11 PM   #13

I doubt I'd change much, except maybe plant more of it. I only use 1/4 acre for the garden now. I might bump that up an acre or so, and add some more grape vines.

I'd definitely take more of the deer that find my plants so irresistible.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:01 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'd grow the state crop of Jefferson. If society is in demise, many people will need relief or release somehow. Besides, hemp gives us oil to use for lubricant or fuel and fiber for rope and clothing, as well as feed for livestock.

Poppies are a time honored crop in many third world countries for it's analgesic properties.

You've got to raise cows or water buffalo. They give you milk, meat, clothing and act as beasts of burden.

Yup, cannabis, poppies and beef. Seriously, if you can pull those three off, why do you need society?

Old 04-08-2008, 04:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I'd grow the state crop of Jefferson. If society is in demise, many people will need relief or release somehow. Besides, hemp gives us oil to use for lubricant or fuel and fiber for rope and clothing, as well as feed for livestock.

Poppies are a time honored crop in many third world countries for it's analgesic properties.

You've got to raise cows or water buffalo. They give you milk, meat, clothing and act as beasts of burden.

Yup, cannabis, poppies and beef. Seriously, if you can pull those three off, why do you need society?
the more postes i see from you the more i like the way you think

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain

Old 04-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default What would I grow?

Hello all

Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

I'd grow what I normally grow, I use NON-Hybrid seed, I grow Tomatoes, Potatoes, watermellon, strawberries, Beans and Peppers, with those I can make a lot of different meals jellies and jams or can up the rest with some meat for storage! Most of what I give at Christmas is Home made Salsa, Tomato sause with Hot sausage or canned meat meals? I have done Beef or Vennisn stew, but I leave it up to what the folks want most? Most common skills like Pressure canning, Hot Water Canning and jerking and preservation of meats and fish are not difficult skiils, just skills not well used and not passed down to the kids liike when I was young? Find 1 in 10 that does it, maybe 4 in 10 that know how?

Old 04-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just curious, how many of you own the foxfire books? Very informative books in how to survive with almost nothing , How to build a log cabin, dress a hog, cow, Mostly how to make it on your own the old fashioned way.

The only times in this nations history that anything great happened it was because normal men put aside their petty differences and fight for a common cause.

Chester

"The great object is that every man be armed . . . Everyone who is able may have a gun." (Patrick Henry, in the Virginia Convention on the ratification of the Constitution.)

Old 04-11-2008, 02:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester View Post
Just curious, how many of you own the foxfire books? Very informative books in how to survive with almost nothing , How to build a log cabin, dress a hog, cow, Mostly how to make it on your own the old fashioned way.
Heck, I learned all that growing up in KY. I think I was 14 when me and some friends built our first log cabin. Being a "hick" has some good benefits. We got pretty good at making our own wine, too. Many very pleasant (and inebriated) days were spent out in the woods.

Growing and canning food, hunting, fishing, and slaughtering livestock, are a few of the things a "country boy can survive" doing. We did them all. If the SHTF, we'd do fine in the "sticks".

Old 04-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8413 Times on 3646 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Default What to grow?

Potatoes. No hybrid seed problem, deer won't eat the plants, and with cultivation and fertilizer, you can raise about 12 tons per acre. You can plant very early, frost not a problem, potato bugs CAN be controlled by hand (but is a PITA). You can eat them, store them, and make booze from them. In a SHTF scenario, you are gonna need carbohydrates. Wheat, corn, barley gonna be scarce. Most valuable thing I would own in that scenario would be my library- yeah, Foxfire is a start. Mother Earth Guide to Homemade Power, Reader's Digest Back to the Land, Reloading Manuals, 1001 Recipes & Formulas, and works on gunsmithing, medicine, explosives (that's what I did for a living). And a working guide to effective moonshining. Realistically, an acre is not a whole lot- depends on soil, water, and sun. But crops can take a LONG time to come in- what if SHTF in, say, September? Gonna be Feb before you can plant in most of US, and August/Sept before you harvest. Rabbits, deer, squirrels, coons, possums etc are gonna be REAL scarce before then. PS invest is some semi-dwarf fruit trees NOW. Apples and pears store a LONG time, good souce of vitamin C (scurvy WILL be a problem) and have you ever heard of applejack? BTW- all in favor of planting hemp, throw in a few potatoes. You gonna have a BAD case of the munchies.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:03 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

potatos. one man with a spade and half an acre can feed a family.

Newest Threads