Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   What would you grow? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/what-would-you-grow-4001/)

notdku 04-07-2008 04:51 AM

What would you grow?

If you were planning for a possible SHTF situation and had a good acre of land to grow crops on .. What would you plant?

gnoll 04-07-2008 05:01 AM

pot
if you all read the mother earth news
you can make fuel out of it
you can make close and food too
i think the small minded thinking this world is in wont like my choice
but i would grow weed as my staple

fapprez 04-07-2008 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnoll (Post 21030)
pot
if you all read the mother earth news
you can make fuel out of it
you can make close and food too
i think the small minded thinking this world is in wont like my choice
but i would grow weed as my staple

Funny. I was thinking the exact same thing for the exact same reasons. PLUS, you can make a sturdy rope from it. Hemp was used for rope from pre history right up into the 1800s, when it was replaced by manilla, the strongest of the plant fibers. The only down sides to growing hemp is, you cant eat it (they say you can but think of all the funny stuff you'll do), and you'll have to tar the rope if you plan to use it in a water application or it will rot.

notdku 04-07-2008 05:12 AM

I was thinking more down the lines of food oriented crops ..

gnoll 04-07-2008 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fapprez (Post 21034)
Funny. I was thinking the exact same thing for the exact same reasons. PLUS, you can make a sturdy rope from it. Hemp was used for rope from pre history right up into the 1800s, when it was replaced by manilla, the strongest of the plant fibers. The only down sides to growing hemp is, you cant eat it (they say you can but think of all the funny stuff you'll do), and you'll have to tar the rope if you plan to use it in a water application or it will rot.

love it you rock well great minds right
and you can still make food with it and not have the side effects of the THC

hillbilly68 04-07-2008 09:19 AM

Would have to be drought, pest, varmint tolerant, have seeds that one could carry over from year to year, and provide enough nutrition to make it worth the calories you used planting and harvesting it. What that is - I have no idea:p .
I grew up with gas/ diesel powered farm implements and that was enough of a burden (but then again I was young, so I took no pleasure in the family garden). Thought provoking though when you put a real dose of reality behind it.

Righteous 04-07-2008 11:45 AM

got enough of and the right guns ya dont need to grow anything, just take it away from those that arent as well armed

hayjeannie 04-07-2008 03:17 PM

What would yo grow ?

I would have to grow a lot of root produce, spuds, carrots, beets. they keep a long time. Corn, wheat,and oats. berries, different types of beans. I would grow some chickens a pig or two and a milk cow. I would also grow a bigger attitude toward trespassers

watfreedom 04-07-2008 06:59 PM

quinoa is a hardy plant and has natural pesticide it produces. nasa has been studying this food for long space flights. problem is you gotta soak ii before eating to get the toxins off. the plus is insects or animals wont eat it and it grows in some rough conditions(altiplano, south america)

watfreedom 04-07-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayjeannie (Post 21054)
I would also grow a bigger attitude toward trespassers

:D +1 but then again if you grow food that is not common here people wont reconize it as edible and that could be security in itself.