What would be considered best shtf location - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What would be considered best shtf location

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mountians?

Why is swamps never mentioned? Swamps have more abundance of food than the mountians.. AND seems like everyone is going to the mountians. Mountians any where is going to be crowded.. Swamps have a water source, food, shelter and remote access.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 145 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Someplace NOBODY knows about and can't be found.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #43

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It depends what situation it is. If it's the break down of social order, I'm going to the nearest population center and setting up in a warehouse or by a watertower or smokestacks or something. Everybody will leave the city except hoarders and scavengers, both would be either valuable sources of resources, or good people to have watching your back. If it's disease, I'm going down the nearest river. Roads will be useless, and if you're going faster than the water, you'll be moving faster then any illness, and all along the river will be places that you can get stuff from. Just don't choose a river that ends with a waterfall. Eventually you'll get to where water meets the ocean, and I'd set up there. More than enough food, and multiple ways to leave.

Vae Victis

Old 11-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #44

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

I lived ,for 5 months in the back woods of Maine, 32 miles from Canada in the mid 70's. It was rough but I wanted the experience. Approaching winter drove me out. Up here in the Northeast staying warm and finding game and water will be very problematic for many not familiar with cold weather survival.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:22 AM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1315 Times on 780 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Watch the History Channel "After Armageddon". IMO the struggles the family goes through is pretty close to what will happen if TSHTF. I posted a link awhile ago about a guy that lived in real life SHTF in bosnia. It was pretty scary to read, especially after watching the movie.

How many people can defend their several months of food storage against one attacker? How about a concentrated attack by several desperately hungry attackers? Think of all those people who are used to surviving on nothing but someone giving them everything they need, and you having a lot of food.

IF TSHTF for real, it's going to be a completely different world.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #46

Your right Parteux, if it comes it's gonna be extremely brutal.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #47

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Id say off the beaten path, back in the woods or something with room to grow your own food and access to natural water source like a spring or creek. An escape route would also be neccessary.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 11-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #48

Looking over posters list of survival guns we all naturally want some sort of 12ga. shotgun. Something to remember considering pump vs. semi auto is that the pump is just a single shot in the unfortunate event that one is wounded or incapacitated in one of their arms. I know that the semi may be more likely to jam in rough service but just food for thought.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #49

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester View Post
I'm very close to the cleanest large water supply in the state and maybe the nation, i also have a national forest not very far away (maybe 30 miles).
There is a huge difference between "very close to" and "have ready access to". I'm very close to alot of money every time I pass a bank. But I don't have access to it. As for the national park, in a SHTF situation I don't think that you will have the ability to drive thirty miles whenever you need to go hunting.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #50

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

During terminal leave I took a long road trip in the Ozarks on my motorcycle & slept in a portable tent. My food supply was mainly restaurants but I fished too. I'm gonna try the desert next.

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM