What would be considered best shtf location - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What would be considered best shtf location

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2008, 12:36 PM   #21
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltm4 View Post
i have a problem. i live in central long island. to my west is NYC. definitely not an option for getting off the island. to the east is the hamptons and other vacation spots. the pine barrens are out there too so that's probably a good place to settle for a while. there's lots of deer and kettle ponds. it's vast tract of wilderness. the mob likes to bury bodies out there. i could get on a boat and cross the sound to conecticut. i the shtf people on long island will run out of food and clean water fast. all freight has to pass through the city to get in or come on a boat. talk about a bad situation. i know many of you will say to move. but this is where is grew up and this is where i make my liveing.
Plan to stay put in your home unless doing so is more dangerous than striking out looking for proverbial greener pastures. In your case, you'd probably need some sort of transportation to get you around or away from NYC if you had a known-safe place to go that wasn't on LI.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:50 PM   #22

staying put in the short term is my plan. i keep well stocked pantry and clean water. i also have filtration capability and a garden. i have a dog, plenty of ammo, a jeep cheokee, 2 kayaks and 2 mountain bikes. the thing is if the situation lasts more than a couple of weeks i'm screwed.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:07 AM   #23

i know i'd make it out fine. born and raised in the country. the place i would set up near would be a marshy area, with ever greens nearby, reasoning is simple, the soil near a swamp/marsh is super fertile the ecosystem so all sorts of foods, from wild greens, to frogs,turtles, snakes to water fowl and deer, the evergreens will provide adueqete shelter until you could build a better shelter. i have been studying how to tan hides into leather, i know quite a bit about what herbs do what, and edible foods, how to build caches, smoke meat, etc etc so me and my family would make it just fine

Old 05-28-2008, 09:27 AM   #24

Being new to this forum and being exposed to survivalist type thinking, I am interested in knowing what books or movies would be helpful and informative to read and study now while we have time to learn proper survival skills?

I find this topic to be VERY interesting as I believe in the Holy Bible and I feel we are living in the end times. Also the U.S.A. is never mentioned in Revelations. That says to me that this land mass will exist but in a different form when it all comes to an end. The Sh@t hitting the fan is a very real possibility in our lifetimes. Something is going to happen that will change our lives as we know them. The time really is nigh gentlemen. This forum and the information that we share and gather really could just be the thing that saves our lives one day. I for one would like to get at least some preparation done before it's too late!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #25

the fox fire series is very informative as are the survival mauals of the us military and the british sas. you could also brush up on a few books that detail what plants are edible, what herbs have medical qualitys etc etc, and an emt or first responder to teach basic first aid through several life saving techniques

Old 05-28-2008, 04:03 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

painted klown, google "disaster preparedness" and other variations on the theme and you'll find lots of excellent information and links. Watch out for the wierdos though.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-29-2008, 06:14 AM   #27

Thanks for the tips guys. I was actually out fishing after church tonight and talking to a friend about this forum and this very topic. I honestly don't think I am prepared if something truly disastrous were to happen.

I am almost considering really taking some time to "practice up" at surviving. Something like going out into the wilderness with nothing but a gun, fishing pole, and a backpack full of supplies. Just to see IF I could do it. And if so, could I do it for any extended amount of time.
I think the things you would need are a gun and ammo, fishing pole and lures, sleeping bag, lighter, a small axe, water (and a way to purify it), a pan to cook in, "swiss army" style knife, a long hunting knife, and if you could find it, a one man portable tent of some sort. Something that would be easy to carry. I would like to see if I could spend a week or something trying that.

Of course you would need to bring along your fishing license, hunting license, ect...But still, it would be an interesting and learning experience.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:39 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If the SHTF, a fishing license will be the least of your worries.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-30-2008, 01:41 AM   #29

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Don't be too sure about that. I'll bet that kind of stuff will be the first thing back online when the gov regroups. They'll collect tax money from those fishing and hunting without licenses....

Old 05-30-2008, 04:53 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I was talking about doing a "trial run" type of thing. Just to see if I could do it. I mean like here in the near future BEFORE TSHTF happens. That's why I say I would need hunting and fishing licenses on me.