What would be considered best shtf location - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What would be considered best shtf location

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
I could probably recall the methods to can with glass jars and wax, but I'd still suspect I'd end up poisoning myself and others at this point.
Okay, am I the only one that read that and actually chuckled out loud? That was funny Scott....

I'm with you - I know killing an animal would be easy enough, but then what the hell do I do? I haven't gutted and cleaned an animal in close to 20 years. I'd end up with a bunch of scraps of varying sizes and probably end up ruining the best parts of the meat when I cut the bladder by mistake or something.

While I am definitely all prepared for a few days, even a couple of weeks, should something go down, if I had to revert to pioneer living I would probably end up trading some of my nice shiny stuff for food.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:54 PM   #12

The best place to live is any place your not getting shot and has water. The rest depends on your knowledge.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Don't forget that rabbits are pretty easy to raise like chickens. You might want to consider some of them too.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:02 AM   #14

What does SHTF mean sorry Im a noob

Old 05-21-2008, 07:34 AM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocww View Post
What does SHTF mean sorry Im a noob
Survivalist term for Sh*t Hits the Fan.... End of Days, Zombies walking the Earth sort of thing.

JD

Old 05-23-2008, 02:31 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

My goal has been to have one year's worth of food and other supplies stored. I believe that I realistically have about three to four month's worth of food laid by, with various amounts of other sundries and supplies stocked.
It's a bunch of stuff and it takes up some space too.

I've made it a habit to always be on the lookout for supplies and survival items. I've learned quite a bit from where I started and it required a readjustment of mindset.

If you think about the minimum you and your family consume, you'll find that it's an awful lot of stuff. If you then add the basics like water, heat, shelter, hygeine and defense, it can be overwhelming at first.

For me, I just steadily add to the cache of both supplies and my knowledge. It's a continuing and challenging journey.

As far as a SHTF location, we hope to be moved to a semi-rural area in the Northwest in time for Christmas.

Last edited by CA357; 05-23-2008 at 02:34 AM.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Okay, am I the only one that read that and actually chuckled out loud? That was funny Scott....

I'm with you - I know killing an animal would be easy enough, but then what the hell do I do? I haven't gutted and cleaned an animal in close to 20 years. I'd end up with a bunch of scraps of varying sizes and probably end up ruining the best parts of the meat when I cut the bladder by mistake or something.

While I am definitely all prepared for a few days, even a couple of weeks, should something go down, if I had to revert to pioneer living I would probably end up trading some of my nice shiny stuff for food.
LOL - I agree - although I think it would all come back as the hunger pangs got worse - I have to disagree about selling my nice "shiny things" if what you mean is guns....I'm currently looking into purchasing water filtration/purification devices since that will be the most important commodity in any situation. You can only store so much water - I believe it has a shelf life also?
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8862 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Well, this country boy remembers how to dress and butcher a deer- or pig or steer. In a survival situationm you will need CARBOHYDRATES more than protein. FAT has the highest energy lb for lb. As far as water, if pure when stored stays pure. My storage system is called a well. Altho I do keep a PUR backpackers filter- about size of a can of soup, will filter bacteria, cysts, radionucleides, etc. Re: trading "shinies" for food- hope you got a lot, and they are real shiny. If times are THAT bad, the price of cornbread just went WAY up!

Old 05-26-2008, 04:54 AM   #19

i have a problem. i live in central long island. to my west is NYC. definitely not an option for getting off the island. to the east is the hamptons and other vacation spots. the pine barrens are out there too so that's probably a good place to settle for a while. there's lots of deer and kettle ponds. it's vast tract of wilderness. the mob likes to bury bodies out there. i could get on a boat and cross the sound to conecticut. i the shtf people on long island will run out of food and clean water fast. all freight has to pass through the city to get in or come on a boat. talk about a bad situation. i know many of you will say to move. but this is where is grew up and this is where i make my liveing.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Well, this country boy remembers how to dress and butcher a deer- or pig or steer. In a survival situationm you will need CARBOHYDRATES more than protein. FAT has the highest energy lb for lb. As far as water, if pure when stored stays pure. My storage system is called a well. Altho I do keep a PUR backpackers filter- about size of a can of soup, will filter bacteria, cysts, radionucleides, etc. Re: trading "shinies" for food- hope you got a lot, and they are real shiny. If times are THAT bad, the price of cornbread just went WAY up!
fat is used by the body to store long term energy and will not render the type of energy needed on a daily basis. people on high protein/fat diets tend to be more lethargic and tire easily. if you look at the diets of nomadic tribes in less developed counties protein and animal fats only consist of about 1/3 of their diet. they get massive amounts of carbs from picking wild plants and roots. don't get me wrong, i love big juicy, bloody steaks but in a long term survival situation we'd all have to start chowing down on more salad.