What would be the best food to get for a survival scenario? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What would be the best food to get for a survival scenario?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 01:27 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Bumping the thread.

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 01-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #22

For most people I think cost comes into play -- especially these days, it may be hard to justify spending on MREs or specialty freeze-dried foods for some folks. You have to decide how much food insurance you can afford and weight it with perceived risk.

As stated, water is most critical. At the least, have some fresh, regular household bleach available and know how to use it and filtering to purify water if you can't boil it. This is very cheap -- $2 a year for a gallon and $2 for coffee filters and rotate it every year.

Then, decide what non-perishables you like to eat in normal times that you can buy extra of and eat on a daily basis so that it is not wasted because it expires and you don't like it enough to eat it in normal times. For example, buy extra peanut butter, rice, coffee, dried potatoes, beans, canned tuna, pasta, canned soup or stew, veggies, etc. and use FIFO (first in first out) so you use it before it goes bad. Although I'd like to have more, I always try to have enough food to be comfortable if I can't get to a store for 2 weeks.

Don't forget to have enough non-food yet important items like TP, feminine hygiene stuff, basic medicines, trash bags, etc. Again, you'll use it up, just buy some extra.

Have basic tools on hand and some extra gas and 2-cycle oil if needed.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #23

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I've been making a small purchase from Sam's club mail order each month to supplement the beans and rice I have in 5 gal. buckets.

Eating only rice or only beans will not give you the proper proteins you need to thrive. Eating the two in combination will give you a complete protein. That said, you can quickly get appetite fatigue if you don't have a varied stock of spices and/or broths to use with them.

Grains, particularly wheat is a terrific food stock to have in bulk. Wheat can be ground for flour and made into simple breads like flatbread or tortillas. It can be sprouted to give a substantial gain in nutritional value, soaked and eaten as a sort of porridge, pretty invaluable.

The offerings from Sam's come from Auguston Farms. I haven't eaten any of it yet, but there are good reviews about their product. I've gotten soups, vegetables, chili, drink mixes and milk, and their breakfast kit. I've been spending under $100 per month on this. I'm hoping that with the overstocking of my regular pantry, the bulk grains and beans, and the #10 cans I have been putting up will get me and mine through whatever happens.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #24

Short term,canned foods.Eventually,they will run out.,Thats when gardening,hunting and even breeding and raising animals for food.You can have a few cows for milk and meat.MREs are good for emergencys.Knowing how to can food and freeze it for the winter.

Springfield TRP
Mossberg 590
Krav Maga

Old 01-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #25

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

PB&J with bourbon. That is all you need.......

My dad said you can live off of one tomato in the desert for 6 months.

If you had plenty of food and water to go along with it.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:01 AM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I happen to live in a very rural area so the wife and I can grow a lot of the food we need . We also raise dairy goats so we have milk, butter and cheese.
We tried a cow but it was way too much work.
I bought the wife a vacumn sealer years ago and she has went through about 4 of them since. She WILL NOT be without one. We buy in bulk when we can and seal a lot of it and to rotate it. I highly reccomend owning the best one you can afford.
I am a very picky eater in my old age but if things got out of hand we can survive on what we have or I can grow or raise. I just need to get some chickens.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:22 AM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Jerky and dehydrated fruits like apples and apricots, raisins and plums. Banana chips are good for potassium.

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 01-15-2011, 02:47 AM   #28

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

RAMEN:

Mack & Cheese:

Honey:

Peanut Butter Banana and Honey Sandwich:

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-24-2011, 11:40 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

he has a bunch of other vids to about this stuff haha

"It's not how big your stick is, it's how hard you swing it."

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives.
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.
Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation take me home?"

Old 01-24-2011, 11:49 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshooter View Post
I just need to get some chickens.
I would have to be pretty bad off to start eating chicken meat again, BUT my sister has laying hens that produce some tasty eggs for a little chicken feed and some water. The chickens also like to rid the yard of crickets and such. From what i've seen, chickens should be a part of the plan for anybody with a bit of yard to keep them in. The meat chickens can also be useful in gardening if mobile pens are used to limit their range & fodder.

Birds have always grossed me out, but in a pinch, their unborn and unfertilized would keep me in omelettes, and a meat eater could live fat and happy off the fryers.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.