Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What would be the best food to get for a survival scenario?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 07:38 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Without water, you're dead in a couple of weeks, so food would be the least of your worries.
The average person would probably be dead in 5 to 7 days.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:18 PM   #12

if you had to move on foot and with backpack a combination of chia seeds and spirulina would be more than adequate. find a good water source to stay near and if you need to hike away from water have maps handy so you can strategize where you need to go and plan how much water you need to get to the next water. chia needs to be eaten wet so eat when you are by water.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:59 PM   #13

I hiked for 10 days along the presidentals in NH We packed Power bars and peanut butter to put on Bagels We ate cold oatmeal for breakfast. I won't reccommend it unless your a die hard ultra lite backpacking manic.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:30 AM   #14

The #1 thing I see people forget is cooking oil. Without it you can't do much with wild game but boil it.[/QUOTE]

not true, game meat can be grilled and roasted as well, and if you know how to cook it you can use the meats own juices as "cooking oil"

Old 05-21-2008, 09:34 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by illbfrank View Post
I've found a good deal on MRE's. It's at armygear.net. 2 Cases of MRE's for $89.98. I order 4 cases at a time and save some on shipping. That works out to about $3.75-$4.00 each meal. One MRE will feed myself and one kid or my wife in really hard times. I don't eat like I once did.
How many meals do you get in a case?
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-22-2008, 12:06 AM   #16

i don't do anything really fancy but it's practical. i started by buying double of the non-perishable foods that i normally eat. canned tuna, cambells soup, crackers, peanut butter (you get the picture). i keep the extra stuff in a plastic bin in the closet. when i go shopping a week later i rotate the stuff out. i eat a lot of rice and because it doesn't go bad i keep a large container always on hand. and of course plenty of water in the pantry
i live on long island and we're do to be hit by a cat 3 hurricane within the decade. it doesn't hurt to be prepared. i guess i'm preaching to the choir on this forum.

Last edited by coltm4; 05-22-2008 at 12:07 AM. Reason: grammer

Old 06-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #17

Default Rice and flour

I would think you'd want to lay in some flour. From a space standpoint, it is dense. You can get a whole lot servings from one 50 pound bag. With it you can make bread, crackers, any number of other items.

Items like bread, bagels, crackers - things that would go along with meat or sustenance - would be a real treat if we're talking SHTF.

Under SHTF, maybe getting yeast would be a challenge, but you can do with unleavened bread too.

Eggs - well you better have chickens or ducks!

Old 06-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #18
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmint_hunter View Post
I would think you'd want to lay in some flour. From a space standpoint, it is dense. You can get a whole lot servings from one 50 pound bag. With it you can make bread, crackers, any number of other items.
Thanks for that idea -- it seems smart. Just keep your stash of flour well-sealed and cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmint_hunter View Post
Under SHTF, maybe getting yeast would be a challenge, but you can do with unleavened bread too.
In regard to yeast, I'm thinking "beer" more than "bread" but where ever your heart takes you, stock up!

Old 06-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #19

just make sure you store you food in a cool dry place and out of the light. nitro-pak makes screw lids for 5 gallon buckets. i keep rice in one of those screw top pet food containers (not mixed with the dog food of course, lol).

Old 09-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #20

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Food-wise there's good ideas already mentioned,

one thing I like to do, and might be a good idea for others is to buy a Sharpie, or permanent marker and right the date and year on the food that you buy/store. Especially canned goods.

Yes, most food have an expiry date on them now, but sometimes the date is messed up/confused with barcodes, or the label comes off. I have a cabin up in New Westminster BC. It's on public (government) lands and has been grandfathered out to us. NO electricity, no running water, no real road. I store some food up there but I share the cabin with another couple guys, so we don't really know who brought what, and people rotate food differently.

Long story short, a date written right onto the metal can like: Jan 1, 2010 cannot be mistaken. This allows food to be rotated and gives a clear idea to anyone how old food really is. I say this after finding a box of cous-cous that had expired 11 years previous.