What will you use for money?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What will you use for money?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What will you use for money?

SHTF! You need all your food, guns, ammo, clothes, knives. HOWEVER, those same things will be used for currency. So, take as much as possible. There will not be a need for cash.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8852 Times on 3833 Posts
Likes Given: 1381

Depends on the length of the event that has caused TS to HTF- money may still have a role.

Short term (days) YES, cash will be needed. Mid term (months) not as much. Long term (years) there will still be a need for a medium of exchange- whether barter, use of something that represents currency, or money itself. No checks, please.

The early settlers in Virginia used tobacco as a medium of exchange (you could pay tuition at the college of William and Mary in tobacco). There WILL be some portable way of exchanging value, since some of us will resist forcible exchanges with a spirited amount of gunfire.

That medium could be several things, including ammo, silver, hours of labor- or the pay that many country doctors took- eggs, chickens, smoked sausage, apples, etc.

I just make sure that I know how to convert corn to a form that does not spoil with age (gets better, matter of fact) is portable, and has many uses. Involves use of yeast and copper tubing.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I just make sure that I know how to convert corn to a form that does not spoil with age (gets better, matter of fact) is portable, and has many uses. Involves use of yeast and copper tubing.
I lol'd

Old 08-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
If only they would quit wasting it as fuel.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

IMHO : For the first few weeks after it collapses there will be people that will still accept the good ole paper dollar for goods.
If, and thats a big IF, things really get bad then there won't be a lot of goods available for trade, barter or sale. So the message seems to be : "Be Prepared".

Old 08-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
It is a skill that I see valuable in extreme SHTF.
Quality homebrew/spirits could be priceless to the right folk.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 08-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #7

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yes, there will always be a need for some sort of currency, be it cash, beads, tobacco or electronic. Civilization has always had a need for a medium to exchange goods and services. It must be recognizable, divisible, portable and represent a wealth of stored value. It's not very convenient to take my cow 20 miles down the road and exchange it for 500 lbs. of corn, then take the corn 10 miles further to the grain mill. With a medium of exchange, that can all be accomplished with one transaction. During short periods of disaster or crises, the barter system can adequately fill in. For efficiency and convenience, a form of money exchange is necessary. Sound logical

P.S. The reason I need to go to the grain mill is because milled grain will ferment much faster. When bad times hit hard, who cares when you're walking around half crocked all the time. LoL...

Last edited by Dennis845; 08-08-2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: P.S.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis845 View Post
It's not very convenient to take my cow 20 miles down the road and exchange it for 500 lbs. of corn, then take the corn 10 miles further to the grain mill.

P.S. The reason I need to go to the grain mill is because milled grain will ferment much faster. When bad times hit hard, who cares when you're walking around half crocked all the time. LoL...
If you are slick, you could rent the recently sold cow to tote the grain to and fro.

Even the idea of untaxed liquor would be of much therapeutic value in such a crisis.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2558 Times on 1250 Posts
Likes Given: 1286

God forbid it happens.
But since in that case, we will all need to group up for safety and have to protect what we have! Family, Property, food and other items.
Ammunition, Weapons, Optics, Flashlights, Batteries, NV and other equipment will be like Gold!
A friend of mine is buying some type of ammunition every week when he goes shopping for food at Wal-Mart and putting it back. For example one box of 12 or 20 ga. Shotgun Shells and a box of 22s or whatever. He advised it will be far better barter material than most other items and certainly for self use.
Something to think about!

Old 08-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #10
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Grow tobacco, learn how to brew beer and make wine, and offer reloading services. Seeds are also great barter items.