Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   What will you use for money? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/what-will-you-use-money-46449/)

bizy 08-08-2011 06:50 PM

What will you use for money?

SHTF! You need all your food, guns, ammo, clothes, knives. HOWEVER, those same things will be used for currency. So, take as much as possible. There will not be a need for cash.

c3shooter 08-08-2011 07:04 PM

Depends on the length of the event that has caused TS to HTF- money may still have a role.

Short term (days) YES, cash will be needed. Mid term (months) not as much. Long term (years) there will still be a need for a medium of exchange- whether barter, use of something that represents currency, or money itself. No checks, please.

The early settlers in Virginia used tobacco as a medium of exchange (you could pay tuition at the college of William and Mary in tobacco). There WILL be some portable way of exchanging value, since some of us will resist forcible exchanges with a spirited amount of gunfire.

That medium could be several things, including ammo, silver, hours of labor- or the pay that many country doctors took- eggs, chickens, smoked sausage, apples, etc.

I just make sure that I know how to convert corn to a form that does not spoil with age (gets better, matter of fact) is portable, and has many uses. Involves use of yeast and copper tubing.

FatPat 08-08-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 558336)
I just make sure that I know how to convert corn to a form that does not spoil with age (gets better, matter of fact) is portable, and has many uses. Involves use of yeast and copper tubing.

I lol'd :D

orangello 08-08-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

If only they would quit wasting it as fuel. :p

oldshooter 08-08-2011 07:20 PM

IMHO : For the first few weeks after it collapses there will be people that will still accept the good ole paper dollar for goods.
If, and thats a big IF, things really get bad then there won't be a lot of goods available for trade, barter or sale. So the message seems to be : "Be Prepared".

dnthmn2004 08-08-2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

It is a skill that I see valuable in extreme SHTF.
Quality homebrew/spirits could be priceless to the right folk.

Dennis845 08-08-2011 07:23 PM

Yes, there will always be a need for some sort of currency, be it cash, beads, tobacco or electronic. Civilization has always had a need for a medium to exchange goods and services. It must be recognizable, divisible, portable and represent a wealth of stored value. It's not very convenient to take my cow 20 miles down the road and exchange it for 500 lbs. of corn, then take the corn 10 miles further to the grain mill. With a medium of exchange, that can all be accomplished with one transaction. During short periods of disaster or crises, the barter system can adequately fill in. For efficiency and convenience, a form of money exchange is necessary. Sound logical :confused:

P.S. The reason I need to go to the grain mill is because milled grain will ferment much faster. When bad times hit hard, who cares when you're walking around half crocked all the time. LoL...

orangello 08-08-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis845 (Post 558351)
It's not very convenient to take my cow 20 miles down the road and exchange it for 500 lbs. of corn, then take the corn 10 miles further to the grain mill.

P.S. The reason I need to go to the grain mill is because milled grain will ferment much faster. When bad times hit hard, who cares when you're walking around half crocked all the time. LoL...

If you are slick, you could rent the recently sold cow to tote the grain to and fro. :D

Even the idea of untaxed liquor would be of much therapeutic value in such a crisis.

Sniper03 08-08-2011 08:02 PM

God forbid it happens.
But since in that case, we will all need to group up for safety and have to protect what we have! Family, Property, food and other items.
Ammunition, Weapons, Optics, Flashlights, Batteries, NV and other equipment will be like Gold!
A friend of mine is buying some type of ammunition every week when he goes shopping for food at Wal-Mart and putting it back. For example one box of 12 or 20 ga. Shotgun Shells and a box of 22s or whatever. He advised it will be far better barter material than most other items and certainly for self use.
Something to think about!

bkt 08-08-2011 08:17 PM

Grow tobacco, learn how to brew beer and make wine, and offer reloading services. Seeds are also great barter items.