Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What will you do when....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1073 Times on 694 Posts
Likes Given: 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
^^ TLurker - I liked your post for the agree to disagree part. I like that opinion.

But say the government, whoever THEY are because the current working format sure can't get anything done or agreed upon.

But say "THEY" set up giant internment camps and start by rounding up members of this very forum because we are the 1% problem children.

Do you realize how hard that would be? And then you put just this forum in the same camp and let them intermingle, giving them tools to grow vegetables?

Half the guys here have extensive military training. A couple of the mods are a pilot, a cop and a couple of just grumpy old men that don't give a flying eff and would rather die on their feet than on their knees. And they are just the folks who keep the rest of us in line.

You try to put Shihan in a box and he will be like Lecter, having the guards slitting their wrists before the end of the month.

"Once a man has tasted freedom, he will never be content to be a slave." Walt Disney - Not exactly a warmonger.
Let me add that I don't think that is likely to ever happen.

It could easily happen if the economy disintegrated, but that is unlikely. I don't like the track we're on, but were still a long ways from that sort of collapse.

Now if the economy does collapse all bets are off. The 20th centuries most infamous all came to power as the result of economic collapse. And Stalin had no problems at all implementing "collective" farms.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #22

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger

Oh, I don't know. Go to the big assed phone box down the street and start using the hundred million miles of copper wire that are already running all over the country.

Or I could go down the street to the phone hub and plug in a hand set to about 1,000 lines at a time and transmit a message the old landline way. -48VDC, so I don't have to worry about the power grid.

Or I could follow the power lines back to the substation, scale the fence, use a crowbar to get in the door and set off the emergency alert system that would broadcast, uh, just about everywhere in 100 square miles to get some attention.

Or I could just find the local Comcast hub and type out a message with a standard plug in keyboard right into the fiber transmission rack and send it out everywhere they broadcast as part of the Earthquake/Tsunami/Emergency alert system.

Or I could.......
Wow, Rambo, Bill Gates and Larry the Cable guy all in one package. You are good to go sir !

NEVER FORGET

cswann1 Likes This 
Old 09-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #23

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Wow, Rambo, Bill Gates and Larry the Cable guy all in one package. You are good to go sir !
You forgot McGyver

Old 09-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann1

You forgot McGyver
Yep, you nailed that one.

NEVER FORGET

Old 09-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #25

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Read a book instead of Alex Jones sometime. There is a wealth of knowledge that could be used if needed.

Shut down the internet or jam cellphones and there are still hundreds of lines of communication that exist in every neighborhood across the nation.

Did you know any fiber line can be unplugged, plugged into a cheap device called a fiber phone and you can make a voice, text or video call anywhere that fiber lines goes?

This whole assumption that the great "THEY" can do whatever they want in a bubble without word getting out is ridiculous.

Logistically it can't happen!

And until you can come up with a way for a simultaneous strike in every community, snatching every gun and every off road vehicle, every package of bacon and anything else the great "THEY" are going to do, you are doing nothing but whipping yourself into a frenzy over nothing.

Which is EXACTLY the distraction that others would have us do.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #26

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Sorry, I'm unable to take you seriously anymore. But please keep us entertained with stories of how you'll hack the telcom infrastructure to spread the word to rally the people to fight the injustices of the world with you leading the charge.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #27

*yawn*

I couldn't take you seriously from the start of this stupid thread. "What am I going to do when the great "THEY" are going to come and take the vegetables out of the ground in the back yard"?

Seriously?

You woke up this morning and that was your idea of worry for the day?

And who is this "great THEY"??

Someone wants to indicate that Obama signing the great internet shutdown is going to somehow aid this ridiculous belief that "THEY" are coming for us. Well great, that only leads about a couple of hundred ways to communicate.

The ways listed are all available to anyone should they take a few minutes out of their busy lives looking for the next great paranoia debate to actually educate themselves on something useful instead of hyperbole.

HOW? How does it happen?

Because I have shown you half a dozen ways it can't work and history to support it.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #28

Quote:
Read a book instead of Alex Jones sometime. There is a wealth of knowledge that could be used if needed.

Shut down the internet or jam cellphones and there are still hundreds of lines of communication that exist in every neighborhood across the nation.

Did you know any fiber line can be unplugged, plugged into a cheap device called a fiber phone and you can make a voice, text or video call anywhere that fiber lines goes?

This whole assumption that the great "THEY" can do whatever they want in a bubble without word getting out is ridiculous.

Logistically it can't happen!

And until you can come up with a way for a simultaneous strike in every community, snatching every gun and every off road vehicle, every package of bacon and anything else the great "THEY" are going to do, you are doing nothing but whipping yourself into a frenzy over nothing.

Which is EXACTLY the distraction that others would have us do.
My point is to your comment a few post back concerning how fast it would spread. I agree it would if unabatted. IF the government took control as talked about earlier, they would not let the communication flow freely. Besides all I was doing was pointing out that Obama has already signed the executive order for an internet kill switch.

As for Alex Jones, what the hell are you talking about ? I linked CNET, probably one of the most respectable sites when it comes to internet issues. So with all you said you can do to drop a dime and save the world, maybe you can stay within the context of what people say. No problems here.

NEVER FORGET

Old 09-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #29

Quote:
My point is to your comment a few post back concerning how fast it would spread. I agree it would if unabatted.
On this we agree, but I don't see how it can possibly go down without resistance and once it starts, it will boil over quickly.

Quote:
IF the government took control as talked about earlier, they would not let the communication flow freely. Besides all I was doing was pointing out that Obama has already signed the executive order for an internet kill switch.
And I was merely pointing out that an internet kill switch does nothing to hamper the backbone that is already in place that is used to move every possible source of data these days. It's not just a big on/off switch and then suddenly we are back to smoke signals and sending runners to the next town.

You asked what I would do "IF" - I was merely pointing out the existing backbones that are available to ANYONE, not just me, if they found themselves in this hypothetical situation.

Example. Railroads run all over the country and are usually discarded for travel or shipping unless it's cars. However every couple of miles they have a control house that has dedicated phone lines that run on the Railroads own power and phone lines. They are off the "grid" of any normal "kill switch" thus they could be easily forgotten and used to communicate.

You mistakenly assumed that I was going to be the one doing all these things, which the OP followed along with, completely dismissing the available information that could be of use SHOULD you ever find yourself in need of it.

Quote:
As for Alex Jones, what the hell are you talking about ?
Comment not met for you but for the legions of fear mongers who post threads like this daily trying to whip everyone in a lather over speculation and what if.

Quote:
So with all you said you can do to drop a dime and save the world, maybe you can stay within the context of what people say. No problems here.
See comment above and no problem here either.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #30

Quote:

On this we agree, but I don't see how it can possibly go down without resistance and once it starts, it will boil over quickly.

And I was merely pointing out that an internet kill switch does nothing to hamper the backbone that is already in place that is used to move every possible source of data these days. It's not just a big on/off switch and then suddenly we are back to smoke signals and sending runners to the next town.

You asked what I would do "IF" - I was merely pointing out the existing backbones that are available to ANYONE, not just me, if they found themselves in this hypothetical situation.

Example. Railroads run all over the country and are usually discarded for travel or shipping unless it's cars. However every couple of miles they have a control house that has dedicated phone lines that run on the Railroads own power and phone lines. They are off the "grid" of any normal "kill switch" thus they could be easily forgotten and used to communicate.

You mistakenly assumed that I was going to be the one doing all these things, which the OP followed along with, completely dismissing the available information that could be of use SHOULD you ever find yourself in need of it.

Comment not met for you but for the legions of fear mongers who post threads like this daily trying to whip everyone in a lather over speculation and what if.

See comment above and no problem here either.
What you say about, "the backbone" does intrique me. I don't know if I would be techie enough to make use of all that you talked about. Still I like learning new things, you mentioned a book, remember the name ? Thanks, ds

NEVER FORGET