What will you do when.... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What will you do when....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1718 Times on 1112 Posts
Likes Given: 3791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I don't believe we have a bat-S-crazy section yet.
We'll just have to agree to disagree about that.

If gas hit $20 dollars a gallon I would do like everyone else and start walking a lot. As for the government seizing vegetables, I can't see that happening. If it ever got that bad the gov. would just start prison camps and let all of the political prisoners grow the food. It would be a lot more efficient than trying to raid every little mom and pop garden. The trick would be figuring out how to make sure you did't end up as a political prisoner!
Old 09-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3481 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

^^ TLurker - I liked your post for the agree to disagree part. I like that opinion.

But say the government, whoever THEY are because the current working format sure can't get anything done or agreed upon.

But say "THEY" set up giant internment camps and start by rounding up members of this very forum because we are the 1% problem children.

Do you realize how hard that would be? And then you put just this forum in the same camp and let them intermingle, giving them tools to grow vegetables?

Half the guys here have extensive military training. A couple of the mods are a pilot, a cop and a couple of just grumpy old men that don't give a flying eff and would rather die on their feet than on their knees. And they are just the folks who keep the rest of us in line.

You try to put Shihan in a box and he will be like Lecter, having the guards slitting their wrists before the end of the month.

"Once a man has tasted freedom, he will never be content to be a slave." Walt Disney - Not exactly a warmonger.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #13

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Dillinger you can make all the glib remarks you want and I'm sure that you have a fantasy where you sit on your porch and shoot any damn "gubmint sumbitches" that dare step foot on your land. Please continue to enjoy that. As far as where I live, l live in Central TX. I grew up hunting and fishing I am more than capable of living off the land. But I have no illusions that when millions are starving that rural communities will be left alone to farm and ranch, hunt and fish for themselves unmollested.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #14

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

IMHO, there are scenerios that could push society to the edge. With the technology the oil companies have now peak oil has been pushed down the road. The cost of getting the oil is increasing as is the unrest in the global political areana but we have energy.

I would be more concerned with the value of your dollar and hyper-inflation. There are trillions of dollars sitting on the sidelines. Some in the banks that are getting loans from the fed at 0% interest but not lending. Also, corporations huge, large and small have been keeping their capitol liquid since the bust happened. When all these dollars start chasing the same goods, watch out.

And don't forget the other monetary cliffs out there. US debt, European debt, Chinese economy slowing down, trillions upon trillions of poor quality bonds sold around the world from the housing bust. Take your pick, it might end up being anything. Lets not forget the mideast is on fire also. I know I have missed some.

NEVER FORGET

Old 09-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #15

The Government can't even agree to disagree.

HOW are they going to get the manpower to enforce taking anything on a grand scale.

I have, probably, a two week food supply for the household and a bunch of stuff that we could use to make other food sources, like flour and rice and crap like that.

I don't have any delusions about shooting anyone, but I live in an area where if a shoot out were to start, the folks in my area would be doing a lot of shooting back.

I live between two large cities, on a hill, with a lake nearby. If the troops were going to start rounding up anything (guns, vegetables, political dissidents) they aren't going to start here.

It takes about 14 seconds for a video of a cop beating someone to hit YouTube and go viral. How long would it take for a video of people having a shoot out with UN or government troops to make the rounds to this forum and every other forum/blog/twitter account?

All these threads come down to logistics. No matter what you want to think about my glib comments, I keep posting them because people keep assuming "the government" is going to come and "take" what they want.

There are more people who aren't "the government" than are, so the numbers quickly add up.

Hell Rommel was a monster of a general and extended his campaign across Europe and into Africa. Then logistically his supply lines got cut and he could not sustain his campaign. That was in africa where technology at the time consisted of smoke signals and guys running from settlement to settlement with news.

Just ask yourself, if the mega stars with all the money and handlers in the world, can't keep news of them sneaking off behind their wives/husbands' backs, how is "the government" going to keep a secret about going door to door and confiscating anything?

They can't. They can't do it. And about 30 minutes after it wre to start, the resistance would be overwhelming.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger
The Government can't even agree to disagree.

HOW are they going to get the manpower to enforce taking anything on a grand scale.

I have, probably, a two week food supply for the household and a bunch of stuff that we could use to make other food sources, like flour and rice and crap like that.

I don't have any delusions about shooting anyone, but I live in an area where if a shoot out were to start, the folks in my area would be doing a lot of shooting back.

I live between two large cities, on a hill, with a lake nearby. If the troops were going to start rounding up anything (guns, vegetables, political dissidents) they aren't going to start here.

It takes about 14 seconds for a video of a cop beating someone to hit YouTube and go viral. How long would it take for a video of people having a shoot out with UN or government troops to make the rounds to this forum and every other forum/blog/twitter account?

All these threads come down to logistics. No matter what you want to think about my glib comments, I keep posting them because people keep assuming "the government" is going to come and "take" what they want.

There are more people who aren't "the government" than are, so the numbers quickly add up.

Hell Rommel was a monster of a general and extended his campaign across Europe and into Africa. Then logistically his supply lines got cut and he could not sustain his campaign. That was in africa where technology at the time consisted of smoke signals and guys running from settlement to settlement with news.

Just ask yourself, if the mega stars with all the money and handlers in the world, can't keep news of them sneaking off behind their wives/husbands' backs, how is "the government" going to keep a secret about going door to door and confiscating anything?

They can't. They can't do it. And about 30 minutes after it wre to start, the resistance would be overwhelming.
Hmmm, what do you do with this ?

http://m.cnet.com/news/obama-signs-order-outlining-emergency-internet-control/57469950

NEVER FORGET

Old 09-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #17

When the vast majority of a population are hungry and scared, they will support any authority that can get them what they need. They won't care that people were killed for it. There would most likely be very remote areas where some lived completely self-sufficient, maybe even known to the authorities. But they'll be too small to bother with and within 2 generations will be inbred mutant psychos.

Thinking that our current system of national government that is bogged down in it's own bureaucracy will still exist in that form during a time of global starvation is just not realistic in my opinion. I think that the demands of the greater population would force a radical change where government got really lean and really hard, because they can do for the masses what they can't do for themselves.

Edit: That's a good point Downsouth. The first thing that would be nationalized would be the media and any form of mass communication.

Last edited by cswann1; 09-01-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #18

Would you register your garden plot ? Utah wants you to. Why ?

We all know what happens after gun registration.

NEVER FORGET

PanBaccha Likes This 
Old 09-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Would you register your garden plot ? Utah wants you to. Why ?
Wow...that's pretty scary. But it's just one example of how it starts. It won't happen overnight, and there will be very easy to digest names for the laws that take control of the nations food resources. They'll call it something like "the patriotic food sharing bill" to make it sound like giving up the fruits of our labor are for the best interests of the nation as a whole.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Oh, I don't know. Go to the big assed phone box down the street and start using the hundred million miles of copper wire that are already running all over the country.

Or I could go down the street to the phone hub and plug in a hand set to about 1,000 lines at a time and transmit a message the old landline way. -48VDC, so I don't have to worry about the power grid.

Or I could follow the power lines back to the substation, scale the fence, use a crowbar to get in the door and set off the emergency alert system that would broadcast, uh, just about everywhere in 100 square miles to get some attention.

Or I could just find the local Comcast hub and type out a message with a standard plug in keyboard right into the fiber transmission rack and send it out everywhere they broadcast as part of the Earthquake/Tsunami/Emergency alert system.

Or I could.......