Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What should I buy next?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
With all the water nearby, do you have something to filter it when you run out of clean water? And if you have to walk, carrying water is really really heavy. Something like a burke water filter bottle is light and you can refill it and drink from about every pool of water in the area.
http://www.getberkey.com/go-berkey-kit-portable-water-purification-with-sport-bottle/
Are you asking me personally?

Old 06-23-2013, 12:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I may have read here somewhere that Golden rice does not keep very well......
Brown Rice does not keep -- it has the oily husk and it turns rancid in 6 months. Parboiled, Converted, or Golden rice removes the husk by flash steaming it and keeps more of the rice's original nutrition than white, cooks a little faster than white, and lasts just as long as white unless there's something good on it in which case I inhale it! You want parboiled!

Good for at least 10, a good 20, maybe 30 yrs. in a pinch (without oxygen or moisture) as far as I'm concerned.

The sale? At a regional supermarket chain in a Spanish neighborhood. Most things are kinda expensive IMO but not the rice. Sales are nice.

Last edited by MattShlock; 06-23-2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: You want parboiled rice!

Old 06-23-2013, 12:27 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2521 Times on 1476 Posts
Likes Given: 1395

20lb. bags of Rico brand white rice are $9.99 @ local Walmart here in PA.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Old 06-23-2013, 01:06 AM   #24

Liked 858 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 522

Ah, ok. Brown rice, my mistake. LOL, I really don't like any kind of rice.....

Old 06-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Ah, ok. Brown rice, my mistake. LOL, I really don't like any kind of rice.....
Really? I guess I didn't as a kid. Guess I do like it know but it's really what you put on it. Two of my favorite meals are just well done barbecued pork on rice and SPAM on rice (don't laugh!). Or beef and gravy on brown rice - damn nice! Rice and beans is OK too but not quite as nutritous as people think.

As a foundation staple, beans or some wheats are probably better than rice, however, they are more expensive and/or require more difficult as well as time and energy-consuming preparation.

It is hard to beat $0.035 per 174 calories of decades-lasting compact carbs with a hint of protein that can be soaked and eaten, worst case! Beans around here are $2.00/lb now. That's $0.16 per 120 calories though there's a useful amount of protein. Still, big difference!

BTW, Wild Rice isn't rice at all.

Last edited by MattShlock; 06-23-2013 at 04:05 PM.
DFlynt Likes This 
Old 06-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #26

Liked 858 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 522

Ever have marinated and grilled steak tips, on a bed of rice, with handcut, homemade french fries, cooked in peanut oil, with a super cold alcoholic beverage of your choice, and hold the rice, please? Mmmmmm, yum. If I had to eat SPAM on rice, we'll do the MULTIPLE alcoholic beverages first, OK?

Newest Threads