What should I buy next?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What should I buy next?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 05:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default What should I buy next?

What should I buy next? So far I could feed my family for about 2.5-3 weeks with my preps(I'm 15, I am trying my best) I have plenty of lakes by my house but in my basement I have a bunch of empty 1/2 gallon-1 gallon botles filled with water 2 5 gallon buckets treated and sealed with water in them and 2 cases of water. We have 2 guns(A gsg 1911-22 and a Remington 597 with about 3000rds of ammo. I have a bunch of medical supplies(Gauze, aspirin, gloves, peroxide, band aids, etc) 8-9 flashlights, and around 20 spare batteries for each type of battery. I have a fully stocked bug out bag, 1 set of some inexpensive 10 mile walkie talkies and a garden going in the backyard.

Is there anything important I should get besides more food and water? I dont have an emergency radio yet, should I get one?
Thanks!

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.
dango Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #2

Liked 181 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Beast. Learn to make fire, by other means not with lighters or matches &improvised camp stoves . Check out YOU TUBE , there are alot of good vids & ALOT of bad vids. Look at Dave Canterbury on YOU TUBE he is a very good instructor & practice what you learn. Also search you tube for bushcraft camp stoves, here are a few of my home mades, 1 wood & 2 alcohol stoves.

forumrunner_20130528_052950.jpg

Old 05-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #3

Liked 1029 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Nah, I say go ahead and buy a bunch of matches, or better yet, lighters. They're inexpensive enough. But yeah, learn to make fire under all conditions. Have you tested those "inexpensive" 10-mile radios? That's 10 miles under IDEAL conditions. Find out their true range. If space allows, how about planting some fruit and nut trees/vines/bushes? That's what I'm trying to do. How about a/some bigger guns?

Old 05-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #4

Yeah I need to stock up on matches and lighters. I am pretty good with a fire steel right now but I should practice more. I want and am saving for a mosin nagant and a mossberg 590 or 590a1

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.
dango Likes This 
Old 05-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3305 Times on 1860 Posts
Likes Given: 18891

A one way ticket to Jupiter......! Eeeeeeek..!

Old 05-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1302 Times on 846 Posts
Likes Given: 2726

The most important thing is not an actual thing, it is knowledge. Don't worry near as much about actual things so much as doing things. Go camping with some friends or family. That's a really good way to find out what things you need. Catch a few fish out of the near by lakes and cook them over a camp fire. What things would make that experience more comfortable? Add those things and go camping again.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #7

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

If you don't already have it get some inexpensive fishing gear.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2104 Times on 1152 Posts
Likes Given: 629

I find it pretty interesting that a 15 year old is willing and able to take on the responsibility to take care of his family. This is a kid to be proud of.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

People Like This 
Old 05-29-2013, 12:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
If you don't already have it get some inexpensive fishing gear.
Me an my dad go fishing all the time so I have that covered/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I find it pretty interesting that a 15 year old is willing and able to take on the responsibility to take care of his family. This is a kid to be proud of.
Thanks!

Old 05-29-2013, 12:43 AM   #10

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Chicken. In a can.

chicken-can-yum.jpg