Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What is with Preppers that are so prepared for one event?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #41
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1704 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 5195

The TV shows need a focus for their viewers.

The prepper needs at least some definition for obtaining the goal.

I just want to make sure that I am comfortable for any short term (3 months) situation, and prepared for what might come after.

Here in the Great Pacific NorthWest in the Wet Side of Washington State, we need to think of, and be prepared for.
Volcanoes
Tsunamis
Earthquakes
Flooding
Civil Unrest
Rust
Sunshine

Old 12-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #42
Troll Scout
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 946 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
The TV shows need a focus for their viewers.

The prepper needs at least some definition for obtaining the goal.

I just want to make sure that I am comfortable for any short term (3 months) situation, and prepared for what might come after.

Here in the Great Pacific NorthWest in the Wet Side of Washington State, we need to think of, and be prepared for.
Volcanoes
Tsunamis
Earthquakes
Flooding
Civil Unrest
Rust
Sunshine
Forgot one KG, The Liberal (known as zombie) Apocolypse.

Being the left coast and all......

Most feared on the list would have to be the dreaded Sunshine sh!tstorm. Personally the SPF45 should be purchased in 5 gl form palletized for easy camp deployment for a protracted exposure to the Sunshine.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #43

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX63
I don't identify with preppers, however I am prepared. My issue with those tv shows is that they have to showcase the most whacked out guy dragging his poor wife and family thru ridiculous scenarios; kids eating bugs, butchering pigs in the garage, running sims in the house where everyone is armed and waiting for the bad guys to break thru the door, while the tract house neighbors next door are all wtf? Then the news media hop on every storm that hits and only shows the helpless and the defenseless in all of their misery, instead of focusing on some average people who were prepared and were ready when trouble came and could maybe teach us a thing or two.
exactly its like they choose the craziest "preppers" they can find . The people that nake their familes simulate a chemical attack with gas masks and hazmat suits it's insane.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:01 AM   #44

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

There has never been a "prepper" like old Noah. The information needed for a real survivor can be found in old testament. All these fellows who stock up on Spam and bottled water are total amateurs.
Hell most could not build a canoe to carry their wife and a pet cat.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #45

Liked 858 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 522

Quote:
There has never been a "prepper" like old Noah.
Right. Noah was told what was going to happen, and when. And thence was told exactly what to do, and how to do it. LOL
Old 12-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #46
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5654 Times on 2797 Posts
Likes Given: 6020

I suppose you can prepare for the worst then live life like you always did but Ive built my life around being prepared and lived to prepare for anything my entire adult life. No I dont have a Bunker or a stockpile of mail order foodstuffs or other items but I do have a basement with 3' thick walls and a pretty fair stock of canned goods and other non perishables. I dont have a bug out property outside of the city in the boonies, I live in mine year round in the boonies! I do have a small garden but my friends and neighbors have giant gardens because they are farmers, thats better than a chance at some black market veggies you can root up two blocks down near the empty gas station. I have a pretty large house that could hold my entire grown family, grandkids and pets (Fido will be Dinner if we get that hungry) so I dont have worry about them finding a safe place!

I laugh cause most of the Preppers I see on TV live in paradise where the only thing they can do is wait for Uncle Sugar to save their asses. I live in a place where snow regularly cuts everyone off from each other and weve learned to take that with a grain of salt. Its not a freak thing to lose my power, my wife doesnt freak out and we dont even kick on the generator unless were below 50 degrees inside. Happened last week for about 5 hours when it was 21 degrees outside, it was a nonevent!

If you stayed out of the market after it crashed a few years back, you locked in your losses because you did not accept the proven fact that extremes dont happen that often and "the market always comes back!!!". The most wealth has been created due to bad markets actually! Prep for the standard bumps and bruises not for the abnormal that aint likely to happen and your likely going to be AOK!

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 12-05-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #47

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I have to wonder about the small rural areas in the East? New York has a population of over 19 Million people. If things were to fail how would you contain 19 million starving people?
They would devour every thing like an invasion of grass hoppers. The small rural farm steads and communities in that dense population would also be reduced to poverty.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #48
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5654 Times on 2797 Posts
Likes Given: 6020

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
I have to wonder about the small rural areas in the East? New York has a population of over 19 Million people. If things were to fail how would you contain 19 million starving people?
They would devour every thing like an invasion of grass hoppers. The small rural farm steads and communities in that dense population would also be reduced to poverty.
That might be true if your living in the Pocono's or below Albany, even city rats can follow train tracks that far!

I wouldnt be so sure of that need to worry for the rest of the state, NY is a huge state and 19 million people get thin real quick over that much territory. We dont need to gear up to defend, weve been ready by having 75% of our homes defended by our own firearms not the Police for a couple centuries or more (and we know how to both use them and make more). Ive had city folk visit, they freak out over the vastness of Upstate NY and run away just as fast as they can. Just like seeing a buck in the middle of a hayfield, things that dont look like their surroundings stand way out. Makes for easy pickings from the deck, the proverbial "Duck Shoot" will be on!

Old 12-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1074 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 2000

Keep in mind that a lot of the shows are just that, shows. I'm guessing a lot of those people, if they are seriously prepping, have thought about multiple things but they only mention one because it's part of the show?

Personally I like to be prepared for a variety of things but I also try to be prepared for the most likely events first. Those tornado pics are of the most likely event, which is natural disaster.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5182 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 4399

I keep plenty of beer and pickled eggs On hand.

WHO NEEDS GUNS??

Golda Meier.
KG7IL Likes This