Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What is with Preppers that are so prepared for one event?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 05:18 AM   #141
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1031 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Natural disasters happen on a routine basis. Mostly the sorry state of our infrastructure and the stupid, short-term cost savings benefits of poor construction contribute greatly to the magnitude and cost of repairing the damage. If houses were required to be made from cinder blocks or steel reinforced concrete in areas that have tornados or hurricanes, you wouldn't hear about houses being wiped off their foundations. Yes, the odd F-5 tornado or category 5 hurricane could still destroy them, but that doesn't happen very often and very few man made structures can withstand that amount of force.

So, you take your chances with poorly constructed houses and above-ground power lines or you bite the proverbial bullet and construct the houses properly and bury the power lines.

The only thing that separates us from the middle ages is electricity and clean, running water. If you have those things, you have modern living. If you don't, you're back to living au naturale.

The gas pumps, refrigerators, air conditioners, and even heaters require electricity. Hospitals don't run without electricity. Vehicles don't run without gas. Seems like a pretty simple concept to understand to me.

Apart from that, nuclear war, biological attacks or outbreaks, asteroid strikes, and alien invasions are basically unsurvivable events. Yes, if you were well-prepared enough you could survive, but that's all you'd be doing.

If you want to survive nuclear wars, don't permit your dumbsh!t leaders to have the damn things. Nothing good will ever come of it.

If you don't want biological attacks or outbreaks, don't permit your dumbsh!t leaders to have the damn things. Nothing good will ever come of it.

If you insist on giving your dumbsh!t leaders access to nuclear weapons, make sure those things are pointed at outer space, where they might actually be used for something useful, like BBQ'ing an asteroid before it does to us what it did to the dinosaurs. If space aliens are technologically advanced enough to get here, they can probably take a hit from the odd nuclear weapon or two, but a megaton class device would produce enough force that apart from some technology that we haven't conceptualized yet, it would probably destroy anything and everything in its path, including space alien space ships.

On that note, I'm going to go get some tin foil, make a hat, and wait for space aliens arriving in biologically contaminated asteroids to set off our nuclear weapons in their silos while we experience worldwide F5 tornados and category 5 hurricanes brought on by space-alien induced solar flares. Or I might just go watch my wife and kids sleep and smile because we've made it this far in life and we're all still here.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:31 AM   #142
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8049 Times on 4644 Posts
Likes Given: 10388

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Yep. I get it, in fact I deal with it every day. I'm just doing what I can to instill trust in the people who do my job. The few bad apples in the media and out acting like meter maids make the barrel look bad.
Quite honestly I have never seen "meter maids" as "bad apples". Though you might be right. It might very well start there and move up.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #143
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
Quite honestly I have never seen "meter maids" as "bad apples". Though you might be right. It might very well start there and move up.
I meant guys who will go out and write as many tickets on as many minor violations as possible or enforce minor statutes on people who aren't really bothering anybody and have an attitude about it the whole time.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 01-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #144

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post

I meant guys who will go out and write as many tickets on as many minor violations as possible or enforce minor statutes on people who aren't really bothering anybody and have an attitude about it the whole time.
Had a bad experience with an over zealous state trooper once he was a young guy probably 23-25 years old.

He pulled us over for a plate light out, it was going fine for like 30 seconds until I verbally (with my hands in plain sight out in front of me) let him know I had a ccw and legal permit to do so, he immediately changed his attitude to verbally accusing me of being a criminal and berating me with insults while he was removing my firearm from its holster it continued until he ran all the checks on my firearm/permit and ID (I never once was rude or disrespectful to him in any manner) he proceeded back to the car and threw my firearm across my back seat and into the door on the other side of the vehicle then threw my magazine on top of it the same way, I proceeded to ask for his badge number and he refused to give it to me so I called and made a report any way because when he threw my steel mag into my firearm it put a good size scratch in the slide and they did nothing about it never even heard back about it. (big suprise).

To me this was an isolated incident, I've never had any problem like it before or since and I have no problems with LEO or the like but its things like this that shade peoples view of law enforcement, even when no natural disaster has happened things like this seem to happen quite often,(im sure most are never even reported) so in a disaster situation what could happen seems terrifying to most.

But I will be staying away from everyone I don't know personally in all long term disaster situations.

My .02¢

Work Hard Play Hard

Last edited by BigBizz87; 01-12-2014 at 07:33 PM.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #145
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5465 Times on 3098 Posts
Likes Given: 4742

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post

If you want to survive nuclear wars, don't permit your dumbsh!t leaders to have the damn things. Nothing good will ever come of it.

If you don't want biological attacks or outbreaks, don't permit your dumbsh!t leaders to have the damn things. Nothing good will ever come of it.

If you insist on giving your dumbsh!t leaders access to nuclear weapons, make sure those things are pointed at outer space, where they might actually be used for something useful, like BBQ'ing an asteroid before it does to us what it did to the dinosaurs. If space aliens are technologically advanced enough to get here, they can probably take a hit from the odd nuclear weapon or two, but a megaton class device would produce enough force that apart from some technology that we haven't conceptualized yet, it would probably destroy anything and everything in its path, including space alien space ships.

As you know, I agree with 99 prevent of your posts in the pas5t.

But IMO, nuclear weapons, and the unacceptable devastation they are capable of doing are the only reason our young people are not fighting World War Six or Seven as we speak.

And there is no "degree" of dead. A bullet, bayonet, rocket, etc will kill you just as dead as a gigantic mega-nuke.

There hasn't been an all out war between two major military powers since 1945. Because of the fear of nukes.

Golda Meier.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-15-2014, 05:38 AM   #146
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1031 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
As you know, I agree with 99 prevent of your posts in the pas5t.

But IMO, nuclear weapons, and the unacceptable devastation they are capable of doing are the only reason our young people are not fighting World War Six or Seven as we speak.

And there is no "degree" of dead. A bullet, bayonet, rocket, etc will kill you just as dead as a gigantic mega-nuke.

There hasn't been an all out war between two major military powers since 1945. Because of the fear of nukes.
You may be correct. I still think giving the morons nuclear weapons, maybe any type of weapon for that matter, is a bad idea.

It's all fun and games until some dolt with a nuclear weapon hits the bang switch.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:43 AM   #147
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20859 Times on 11857 Posts
Likes Given: 52397

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
You may be correct. I still think giving the morons nuclear weapons, maybe any type of weapon for that matter, is a bad idea.

It's all fun and games until some dolt with a nuclear weapon hits the bang switch.
personally i don't think anyone should have chemical, nuclear or biological weapons to begin with. man was very capable of killing other men long before they came along.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #148
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5465 Times on 3098 Posts
Likes Given: 4742

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
personally i don't think anyone should have chemical, nuclear or biological weapons to begin with. man was very capable of killing other men long before they came along.
Without them, the countries with the biggest population, and therefore the biggest armies, would rule the world.

Fish heads and rice, anyone???

Golda Meier.