what now... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > what now...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Something you all forgot during this SHTF scenario, All major coastal states and cities, major ports and coastal ways, along with Washington, D.C. this nation's capital, will be the first destroyed, conquered or put under Marshal Law. We will be kicking it here in the central and northern states.

It will not matter what you have, who you are, are what kind of supplies and arsenals you have. You all will be pulling a "Grapes of Wrath" scenario and migrating to the central states to survive.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-28-2009, 01:41 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill-Zone View Post
Yes the solitude is really nice (up-here) thank's for mentioning it.....RL357MAG....Yeah that's what i was trying to say by shrink-wrap bag's (seal-a-meal) I see us coast-line peep's are in it if the crap hit's the fan (Ikeep hearing that ) Im getting a complex here.... good to know some of ya will be heading for the middle-states to try and survive sound's like a movement that was done in many conflict's / war's... then the ENEMY just walk's in and cut's ya to pieces...Grape's of wrath idea - never work's Not a good move if ya ask me....JMO !
I''ll stay outside the wire thank-you.......
I don't know - north central Maine is one rugged country. Hiding out in the mountains of Baxter State Park it would be years before anyone would find you! Of course, once the snow hit, it would be centuries before anyone stumbled upon your bones....
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-28-2009 at 01:57 AM.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
THAT OL''MOUNTAIN SHE'S IN MY BACKYARD....... but yeah go up on er'' and no-one will bother ya thats fer-sure......
I've hiked Katahdin several times and the desolation, beauty, and water availability in that part of the state is hard to explain. If I was rich and could afford the equipment necessary, I would retire there!

Old 06-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #14

Quote:
THAT OL''MOUNTAIN SHE'S IN MY BACKYARD....... but yeah go up on er'' and no-one will bother ya thats fer-sure......
Nobody is gonna bother you up there, you will not be a threat in their eyes and they will not waste the time, man-power or resources for a non-threat. It will be when and if you come down from the mountain and start causing problems is when "they" will respond accordingly.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

Old 06-28-2009, 06:10 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well then the only option is to stock pile a lifetime's supply of sugar, spices, coffee, ammo, candles, pain killers, anti-biotics, clothes, TP, seeds, rice, and water filters...

Old 06-28-2009, 07:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Well then the only option is to stock pile a lifetime's supply of sugar, spices, coffee, ammo, candles, pain killers, anti-biotics, clothes, TP, seeds, rice, and water filters...
And start growing lots of pot plants and distilling moonshine to barter, trade with and sell for other supplies, cause money, U.S. currency, will be pretty much useless.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 06-28-2009, 07:28 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'd rather pan for gold...I don't drink or do drugs....anymore. I was talking to someone last week who has a friend in Alaska that retrieves appoximately an ounce of gold on a good day. A lot of work no doubt, but when you are homesteading and don't have a job, what else is there to do?

Old 06-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #18

Nobody said you had to consume the products, just use them to survive with. Spent 5 years in Fairbanks, Alaska working security for the pipeline after getting out of the military. I thought I needed a change of pace and lifestyle. Though the money was good, you have really got to like and understand the cold to live there. That 4-5 months of winter where temps average anywhere between 30 and 60 below, ice fog and darkness was just not for me. To damn cold and depressing, but the summers were nice and the fishing and hunting was great. There was a lot of gold prospecting up there too.

Nobody wants to go there in the winter. Great place to visit in the summer, all them Japanese tourists know that for sure.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Last edited by IGETEVEN; 06-28-2009 at 07:58 PM.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:31 PM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

True, but I would never make a living selling or trading something that I personally would not use. I don't think I would trade with someone who was a drunk or a pothead either. That could spell trouble down the road. I've gotten rid of my past associations in those area's and have no desire to re-establish them.
As for Alaska, I always wanted to homestead there - but after doing some reading and talking to people who have been there, and are now back in the states, I have no desire to work that hard just to stay alive. There's a good book "One man's Wilderness" that documents the life of a man who did succeed living alone in a cabin he constructed back in the 60's. In 1998 at the age of 80 he turned his cabin over to the USFS as a museum of sorts. It's an amazing story, but he had a friend who was a bush pilot and brought him supplies once a month or so. I think it would be impossible without that little perk, unless you lived near a town.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:45 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
True, but I would never make a living selling or trading something that I personally would not use. I don't think I would trade with someone who was a drunk or a pothead either. That could spell trouble down the road. I've gotten rid of my past associations in those area's and have no desire to re-establish them.
As for Alaska, I always wanted to homestead there - but after doing some reading and talking to people who have been there, and are now back in the states, I have no desire to work that hard just to stay alive. There's a good book "One man's Wilderness" that documents the life of a man who did succeed living alone in a cabin he constructed back in the 60's. In 1998 at the age of 80 he turned his cabin over to the USFS as a museum of sorts. It's an amazing story, but he had a friend who was a bush pilot and brought him supplies once a month or so. I think it would be impossible without that little perk, unless you lived near a town.

The fact is, if it weren't for todays "easy life"... the vast majority of people you know today wouldn't even be alive. You realize how many people depend on medication and other people just to live another day? Let alone having to go out and hunt for food, and fight for basic survival. Make no mistake, if the SHFT happens the culling of the herd would take place and a whole lot of people will die.

Of course Mother Nature had "designed" the "survival of the fittest" so any species would thrive. We, (humans) side-stepped this CULLING of the HERD, and now the earth is over populated with sickly & incapable people that totally depend on others just to live, let alone survive & thrive.

So, "if" the SHTF... you will see a fairly sudden depletion of people. The sick & weak will go first. Their supporting members won't be able to maintain these people and still provide for themselves... hence, culling of the herd and the survival of the fittest will once again decide who lives and who dies.

COLD, HARD REALITY...