Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > what now...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default what now...

well, many members of this forum talk of stocking this and endless ammo that. But what happens when your stocked supplies are gone? I know for some people it will be much sooner (such as the younger members like me) as compared to some of the older members who have had a head start. Either stolen, used up, lost to natural disaster, whatever the circumstance, they are now gone. How do you survive? where to go? what to do? how to get more supplies?

On a less serious note, what would you do if a member of this forum (who was able to prove it) approached you during the shtf scenario?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterner123 View Post
well, many members of this forum talk of stocking this and endless ammo that. But what happens when your stocked supplies are gone? I know for some people it will be much sooner (such as the younger members like me) as compared to some of the older members who have had a head start. Either stolen, used up, lost to natural disaster, whatever the circumstance, they are now gone. How do you survive? where to go? what to do? how to get more supplies?

On a less serious note, what would you do if a member of this forum (who was able to prove it) approached you during the shtf scenario?

If by "stocked supplies" you mean ammo, I will never run out because I reload and stock many pounds of powder, thousands of primers and bullets, and more .22 ammo than is necessary to survive for many years. The brass lasts for many reloads. Other supplies will eventually run out naturally as they are used, like water, TP, canned food, etc. The idea is to constantly re-supply and rotate. Nothing lasts forever - including your life, so why worry about the inevitable? Just be prepared and have a fall back plan such as the ability to grow food, filter available ground or rainwater, or raise livestock if you live in a rural area. Plans fo the future might include acquiring land for crops and a BOL. If a member approaced me during a SHTF situation I think we would combine forces!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

the livestock thing might be a good idea, I live in a rural area with a lot of cows and pastures. We don't have ONE chain store at all what so ever in my town so there is zero stratgetic value to it at all.

well, by supplies i meant portable food like MREs and the stuff to get you settled in your location of choice. What would you do after finding your spot?
And what if someone else took your spot? Negotiate or test your firepower?
What if Canebrake and JD both wanted the same patch of land and all they had was their custom .45s to duel with while every forum member watched, who would win?

I'd be happy to join forces with the guys on this site too, I've got your six if you by the Mass. line guys

Old 06-22-2009, 12:05 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=easterner123;120176] What would you do after finding your spot?

I've got my spot - it ain't much but it's 20 acres of woodland with a small cabin, storage building, and 30 x 60 garage. If I need to bug out there you can bet it will be defended until someone else starts paying the taxes.

And what if someone else took your spot? Negotiate or test your firepower?

It wouldn't be much of a test. I know every square foot of my property and have two ranges there.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill-Zone View Post
That's a good-sized place to defend there RL357MAG.. There are gonna be a boat-load of desperate people out there ready to take us all on Starving ,Stranded , Homeless Etc ..... That include's people you know who believe we''re wrong for fighting for our freedom's (pretty much sum's it all up ) some of em''come with good intension's Outher's (bottom-line ) well they''ll want you dead...I hear some think a pasture full of live-stock aint gonna be a target (WRONG) they''ll want em as food....M.R.E.''s on the hoof ! so dont think for one second a pasture is a safe place to be..... JMO ...... dont pop round's at the ol''man leaving the Snicker's bar wrapper's and once in a while a Pepsi bottle around..... It could be me... Im not there to test anyone's fire-power or bother your supply's...... I pack my own but thank-you anyway.... Member of the ''Dead-Men....
It will be a challenge if things go all to sh!t. But my property is surrounded on three sides by my neighbors' much larger properties. It's all heavily wooded with farmlands and sparse development scattered for miles. Everyone up here hunts, farms, and raises horses. The "city folk" (I was born an lived in a city for 13 years) have virtually no chance of survivng here. I imagine most people will stick together to fight a common enemy - what may not be so easy is defending against some locals when food becomes scarce, and defending small sustenance gardens planted for personal survival. It's just a hypothetical now, but it's interesting to think about.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:59 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

speaking of defending pastures, my town doesn't have a highway exit into it, and it takes 40 minutes to get there from the highway so people will have to travel a heck of a long way, it'll be a shame but when they get here I wanna survive. RL357 you have a good idea, small sustenance gardens are a good idea

Old 06-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterner123 View Post
RL357 you have a good idea, small sustenance gardens are a good idea
20 yrs. ago I bought the smallest Troy Bilt roto tiller made because I had a small house on a 60 x 100 lot. I still have that tiller and it is the best investment I ever made. Every year I have enough fresh vegetables for two people to last all summer. If I knew how to can, I could produce and put up enough for a year. It takes about 45 minutes to prepare a 10 x 30' garden from scratch with my little tiller. After that it's just a matter of using the tiller to turn over the soil every year. Adding compost replenishes the soil. The worst part is weeding...

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-23-2009 at 01:40 AM.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:49 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill-Zone View Post
13 year's is a long time to be living in a city... I tried it lasted for 2 year's.... Canning aint to hard to do and it does save food for a while.... and those shrink-wrap bag's for freezer stuff work well too..... right now ive got a 30X30 garden it takes a while to keep-up.... weeding , fertilizing , just takin care of.....but worth every second during the winter month's..... And everything goes well right next to a side of venison....
+1 Venison stew when cooked with your own vegetables is more tasty! I bought a Seal-a-Meal last year and it's a great tool for lot's of things, including non-food items.
It wasn't exactly a city - it was the City of Yonkers, NY, about 15 miles north of NYC - and I moved out at age 13... If my parents didn't move us to a more suburban environment, I would never had made it through High School or the Marine Corp because I would either be dead or in jail. There was a lot of racial tension, gang activity, and drug use back in the late 60's. I had to go into NYC for business quite a few years ago, and it just raised my blood pressure and reinforced why I could NEVER again live in an area of high population density. NYC is a nice place to visit - but they can keep it! I vacation in Maine and can't get enough of the solitude.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-23-2009 at 02:37 AM.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:54 AM   #9

Lets say a "worst case" senario like perhaps north Korea? If Obama became like sick-ill a*shole then the "brown shirts" will be sweeping the nation to steal anything and everything you own, kicking your a*s out on the street to fend for yourselves. How long do you think the wild life will last? Do you think they will allow you to "grow" food? Do you think you can pay for power? You may store up stuff now but if the government goes wild they will be looking for YOUR stash and will not have a problem with killing you to get it out of yours and your families hands. Stash at home? Please do. But don't be surprised if it goes away. Stash some other place? Please do. I have more than 3 years worth of everything and more of some stuff but not in one place, not even in 5 places. When the people are starving and the dictators will not allow any farming or raising livestock or owning anything except a used, wet cardboard box and a shirt and pants what will you do then? Or better yet what will you do before then?

Your best bet is to get as far away from any populated area you can. You might want to think about a stash now in that area! Plan ahead for several different locations if possable but at least one. Been hiking lately?

Anyone who is likeminded would be welcome to join our forces. They would be hard pressed to find us but if they did we would simply add them to the group.

The truth was always the truth, even before anyone figured it out. It always was and always will be.

Last edited by MrKimber; 06-27-2009 at 02:58 AM.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:25 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If things ever get to the point where the "government is hunting you down", then I suspect guns and ammo will be the most important aspect of survival. Personally I don't worry about that scenario because by the time it gets that bad you'll be too busy reloading to worry about what you're having for dinner. I don't run - I stand and fight for as long as I can. Whoever comes looking to hassle me had better be willing to do the same.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-27-2009 at 03:27 AM.