What is the longest ..? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What is the longest ..?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8885 Times on 3847 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

well, there is "off the grid", and there is "remote from civilization.

Off the grid- living without outside utilities, growing own food, limited contact with stores, etc? Anout 6 years. First 6 of my life. Then we got electricity thru the rural electricfication program. That meant we kept the kerosene lamps for outages, Mom got a refigerator, and we go an electric water pump (no water heater, tho)

Remote from civilization? Have done a few months here and there. Appalachian Trail- but you may get run down by a Speed Hiker that has no idea what the area he just sprinted thru looks like. Some time in Colorado, both SW corner and the high country, few weeks at a time in Alaska. Liked the Outer Banks off NC a lot- as long as the mosquito repellent holds out.

Being TOTALLY divorced from civilization? Even the Mother Earth Back-to-the simple-life homesteader folks still appreciate a kitchen match, a little baking soda, and black pepper.

My grandparents were subsistence farmers. Got electricity when I was a teen. They raised 13 of their kids (and 2 of their nephews). ALL the kids worked- and I LOVED to go over and play with my uncles. Work might be drawing water, splitting wood, feeding chickens and gathering eggs, milking cow, peeling potatoes- but that meant you got biscuits, fried potatoes, and had time to play with the puppies, the barn cat to show you her kittens, go fishing or shoot a couple of squirrels.

You never had any trouble falling asleep, and you got to do grown up kinda things (don't see many people handing a 10 yr old an axe or a 22 nowdays)

Yeah, sorta think maybe Heaven is something like that.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 03-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1897 Times on 1350 Posts
Likes Given: 2133

Default Off the grid............

Mother nature put us to the test, one year it was in the teens, the toilet actualy froze and cracked, this was in the house, The other was hurricane Betsy, and can't recall the other....lol......No water, no gas, no power, Just food from the jars that were in the closets................

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

dango Likes This 
Old 03-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default North vrs. South.............

food and water, shelter............Pest.......If you live in the south, you know what I mean. The same as Alaska.............When i say live off the grid, you have nothing but your wits.....................You live off your know how or you die.......................

dango Likes This 
Old 03-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3211 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 18528

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayamamasami View Post
So, you think so, huh? Well, lemme tell you a thing or two!!
^ What...WHAAAAAAAT..? ..............!

Old 03-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well , First off ....(Homage payed to the Master)..THE GREAT NUT JOB..!
^^ Back to surviving..! Funny , but all these things I claimed to have done , I've actually done , Who would a Thunk..?

Back when I was doing these things , I'd never thought they might become useful data..! Well , I got no crystal ball and really didn't think of the prepers aspect , just a not so special list of things I like and have done.

There is a lot of useful data here in my stories , FACT..! Weather I did them things or not is not the issue .! Good sound data ..!

Next time I give data , I'll give it in a not so personal method to eliminate the scrutiny , it is factual , use-able data and if it's helpful , hope it can help in some small or large way.!

Lets continue , I like this stuff..!

Got a question.? What ever happened to the ole fashion "root cellars"..?
I've tried to store certain produce and , no success..!
When I was a kid , Mom would take things like sweet potatoes , onions , white potatoes , etc...! They don't have the shelf life I remember.! What has changed.? Is this a "Monsanto's" thing ..? I keep getting ROTTED veggies in 1/3rd the time , what has changed..?

Last edited by dango; 03-20-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default The Truth Be Told.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
well, there is "off the grid", and there is "remote from civilization.

Off the grid- living without outside utilities, growing own food, limited contact with stores, etc? Anout 6 years. First 6 of my life. Then we got electricity thru the rural electricfication program. That meant we kept the kerosene lamps for outages, Mom got a refigerator, and we go an electric water pump (no water heater, tho)

Remote from civilization? Have done a few months here and there. Appalachian Trail- but you may get run down by a Speed Hiker that has no idea what the area he just sprinted thru looks like. Some time in Colorado, both SW corner and the high country, few weeks at a time in Alaska. Liked the Outer Banks off NC a lot- as long as the mosquito repellent holds out.

Being TOTALLY divorced from civilization? Even the Mother Earth Back-to-the simple-life homesteader folks still appreciate a kitchen match, a little baking soda, and black pepper.

My grandparents were subsistence farmers. Got electricity when I was a teen. They raised 13 of their kids (and 2 of their nephews). ALL the kids worked- and I LOVED to go over and play with my uncles. Work might be drawing water, splitting wood, feeding chickens and gathering eggs, milking cow, peeling potatoes- but that meant you got biscuits, fried potatoes, and had time to play with the puppies, the barn cat to show you her kittens, go fishing or shoot a couple of squirrels.

You never had any trouble falling asleep, and you got to do grown up kinda things (don't see many people handing a 10 yr old an axe or a 22 nowdays)

Yeah, sorta think maybe Heaven is something like that.
You ever heard the words, I'M Bored...lol.....Big mistake back then........I lived the life of the good times........No airconditioning...............5 am wake up call. No such thing as a day off...........Unless you left the farm....Then you really got a slap in da face.................

dango Likes This 
Old 03-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8885 Times on 3847 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Yes, have stored root veggies in a root cellar- or a keep. Raised mound of dirt, layer of straw, pile of potatoes, more straw, cover with dirt. Goal is to keep dry, cool, and out of light. Onions we would string up to dry, then store cool and out of light.

Dad came up with storage for potatoes- he built BIG plywood box, double walls with space filled with sawdust, foot of sawdust in bottom, fill w/ potatoes, plywood cover. They would last long enough to use for seed potatoes following year.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 03-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #28

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayamamasami View Post
Back in da Nam... was probably the longest time I spent off the grid.
Is there anybody we can call for you?
Old 03-20-2013, 11:55 PM   #29

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
Lived in an ice cave 100 miles north of the arctic circle in winter for 14 days.. but it doesnt count since i had access to military supplies
LOL I know those caves. You had a small nuclear reactor generator didn't you? That IS off the grid but not really when you are harnassing the power of the atom...
Old 03-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

^ Did I ever tell yaul bout the time I las-oed ,some "nuclear fission"..?

I believe the power of the "Atom" can be used as an alternative energy resource.! If we eliminated the competitive out sourcing , (To do this as CHEAP as possible) , to get the job , "UNDER BID" , we might can do this safely.!

From what I've read , it's always some little part that compromises the integrity
of the entire system. Two SAVE as many $$$$,s to get the job done..!

Radiation has a very long shelf life , use it..! It is possible to power Auto-mobiles, but Human Nature , just can't seem to play smart.