Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 02:35 AM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

I am working of my Zombie survival kit. I know the risk of zombie attack isn't that high but the kit would work well in any disaster.

I have been getting my stuff together the last few months. So far I have,
Survival knife (12" blade)
Machete 25" with saw built in
two skinning knifes
Military style backpack
3 aluminum water bottles
3 flash lights
First aid kit (still building this up)
Crossbow with extra bolts
sharping stone
gun cleaning kit
2 compasses
Ammo all guns
Fishing net 7'x10'
2 zippo lighters

On my list is
2-3 lanterns battery
more flashlights
more lighters
military Backpack
more water bottles
camping stone (need to find mine in garage if it didn't get sold in yard sale last year)

What else should I look into?

My wife is helping me to, she has started couponing so we have enough bath room, health/beauty supply's to last for a month. We also have about 2 weeks of food that is not part of our normal meals.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:43 AM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You need a whole bunch more food.

Add water storage and purification

Don't wait to get your First Aid kit together and don't forget insect repellant

Got sleeping bags?

manual can opener

Silcock Key

Appropriate clothing for your area and extra socks

Good, broken in footwear. If you are bugging out, the last thing you need is to tear up your feet. (I prefer boots, but I'm old and I'm used to them. Plus I like the ankle support)

Foot powder and moleskin

Universal Key (otherwise known as Bolt cutters )

There's more, but I'm too tired to think right now. Just keep on adding and refining and you'll do fine.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
You need a whole bunch more food.

Add water storage and purification

Don't wait to get your First Aid kit together and don't forget insect repellant

Got sleeping bags?

manual can opener

Silcock Key

Appropriate clothing for your area and extra socks

Good, broken in footwear. If you are bugging out, the last thing you need is to tear up your feet. (I prefer boots, but I'm old and I'm used to them. Plus I like the ankle support)

Foot powder and moleskin

Universal Key (otherwise known as Bolt cutters )

There's more, but I'm too tired to think right now. Just keep on adding and refining and you'll do fine.
Thanks for the info.

Food- we are building up extra as we go. I will be building shelves this month so we can hold more stuff.

Water- I am looking at the WaterBob for water storage. Thinking 2 would be a good start. Not thought about purification need to look into that.

First aid kit- we add a little every week,

sleeping bag- Didn't think about that one. We do have 2 but packed up need to dig them out or pick up more.

Can opener- Got a manual in the kitchen already(don't like the powered ones)

Silcock Key- Never knew what that was. Google is great I will have to pick up one.

Cloths- should be good on that

Boots- We all have extra shoes but on our list is to do more hiking this summer so we are getting some boots for the whole family

Foot power- we have some but always can use more.

Bolt cutters- need to get

I don't fill as far behind as I thought I would. Still a lot to get but will add some stuff to my working list.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #84

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Bookmarked!

I am so behind on this it makes me a little worried! So, say a complete moron (not me of course, wink) had nothing like this. Where would they even start?

Old 06-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #85

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddbrowns View Post
Bookmarked!

I am so behind on this it makes me a little worried! So, say a complete moron (not me of course, wink) had nothing like this. Where would they even start?
The best way to get started is to do something. Budgets vary with individuals and circumstances. Even reading how-tos and manuals is a good step. Knowledge easily gained now with the interweb and libraries/magazine subscriptions may not be available when it is needed.
Download and print a store of information to read and learn.

Simple and inexpensive foods can be stored in bulk for low cost. White rice stores a long time. Beans eaten with rice make a complete protein for the body's nutritional needs. Pinto, black, white, northern, etc. can all be purchased inexpensively in bulk. With just those two foods and some salt and spices and water you can survive, although you may get appetite fatigue, where you do not want to eat because of the lack of variety in flavor, foodstuffs, texture, etc.

Ealier posts in Survival and Sustenance can give you good information of water storage, food storage, storage modalities and books. Some of the easiest ways of picking up tips is through survival fiction. Good stories can be found under Patrion fiction on Frugal Squirrel's Archive with no registration. Read up, store up, and don't forget to enjoy life as you do it.
If TEOTWAWKI comes tomorrow, it comes tomorrow.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 06-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #86

Got my bolt cutters 18" and another flashlight today.

Also adding a Axe to my want list, the saw will work most of the time but a nice axe would take down a door.

I also need to add dog food to my list, just don't think I could let her go unless I had to. And the dog food could also work for traps to catch small game.

Harbor Freight has coupons for a free LED flash light if you buy something. I plan on getting 10 LED flashlights for $16 from them this week

Old 06-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

These are what I have. I was a carpenter for many years and these just feel right to me. The sizes are convenient as well.

The rigging axe is about two feet away from where I'm sitting right now and the roofing hatchet is in the truck box.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #88

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
These are what I have. I was a carpenter for many years and these just feel right to me. The sizes are convenient as well.

The rigging axe is about two feet away from where I'm sitting right now and the roofing hatchet is in the truck box.

God I love the Vaughn Rigging axe. Can't tell you how many skip sheets and stacks I had done in my younger days as a carpenter with this axe. A bit of a weight issue but I keep one on the backpack along with a Sven Saw.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #89
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yup. Good times, but I was just a puppy in those days.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #90

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Since it doesn't look like I will be able to get out of Calif. I'm looking into having a cellar dug into the hill behind our house. I remember the one my grandmother had back in OK. It was full of shelves stocked with all kinds of canned jars of foods. She even had a couple of shelves with sides filled with sand and she kept potatoes and carrots buried in the sand. Onions and garlic and peppers hanging from the roof. It was all under several feet of dirt and had a vent pipe for ventilation. I was also a great place for a 7 yr old kid to hide in. Spooky sometimes but full of fond memories.