What have you done lately for Preps? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I love pickled okra. Nice job.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-20-2011, 05:39 AM   #62

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbilly View Post
Yesterday's accomplishment :

Spicy pickled okra. Just 5 pints showing in the photo, but had enough to can 7 pints. First time trying this pickling recipe...it is from Cajun Chef Emerill Lagasse. Recipe called for "hot peppers" mixed into the pickling mixture. I mostly used red chile pepper, but mixed in a small amount of orange habaneros.
The okra needs to pickle in the jar for at least one month before eating.

Regards,

Swampbilly
That sounds like a good idea. I'll have to see where I can get my hands on some fresh okra.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:00 AM   #63

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wldennis View Post
That sounds like a good idea. I'll have to see where I can get my hands on some fresh okra.
If you have any farmer's markets local to you, that would be a start.

Regards,

Swampbilly

Old 03-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #64

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Where in AZ?
Sorry for the delay. I've been off-line, on my sis's puter now.
I'm in Apache Junction. Going to see some spring training and a Suns game then leave toward the end of the week.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #65

I bought 3 blueberry plants to go into the ground this weekend if it dries out enough. Wish I had enough property for some fruit trees.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #66

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

In seven or eight years that picture will show up in my daughter's high school yearbook.

Last edited by Seven; 04-08-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #67

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Hmm, did a few things

Hello all, RON L here

I did a Few thibgs,m I sorted , Invintoried and re-packed my EDC, BOB abd Larger Home and car Bobs!

I went to a Gagage sale and bought some smaller Canning Jars and Lids, some were he Jelly Jar size (I didn't have any of those), as well as some Pint jars and lids look home and had to detail clean as they had some old canned food inthem and were likely bad! I sterilized the jars and was able to save some of the Lids, many were a Loss as the gaskets were bad and deteriated! I got 13 jars total 4 small the rest PInt total cost $2.00! Worked on Preping seed in window box Grows more on my Non-Hybrid grows as I have the Window Box Project well in hand but need to back that up with Seed I know I can Trust and will perpetuate more? May not seem like a lot, but was a weeks worth of work?

Old 04-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Although it will be a bit late in the season, we will be planting a vegetable garden at the new place. We'll be using non-hybrid seeds only. Then we'll save the new seeds.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #69

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Today is payday, so this weekend I am going to get a pressure canner and stuff to go with it. I am also going to get a couple more bags of bulk rice and beans at Costco.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
Today is payday, so this weekend I am going to get a pressure canner and stuff to go with it. I am also going to get a couple more bags of bulk rice and beans at Costco.
I'm anxious to hear what you get for a pressure canner. Good ones are close to $250. I would like to have one even if only to cook beans in quicker and save fuel if things get bad.