What have you done lately for Preps? - Page 58
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 05:23 AM   #571
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1182 Times on 759 Posts
Likes Given: 2315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I am still looking for a variety I used to love as a kid. It was in Mendocino (old apple growing country not too far from Ettersburg where Greenmantle is located). These apples were plum red skin with snow white flesh until they ripened and turned red inside. When they were fully ripe, the flesh was blood red and they were as sweet as sugar cane. I have seen red flesh apples (Pink Lady is a common one) and several are offered by Greenmantle, but none like I remember. One day I am going to go to that old orchard I visited as a kid and look for that tree in the fall when it is bearing its fruit. The problem is that it is way out in the boonies in Mendocino County where there are a lot of marijuana growers. It can be dangerous poking around out there. That is my quest as far as apples are concerned.

There are so many good and well established rootstocks available for apples that I don't see the point in growing my own, but to each his own on that. What I would do would be to get a rootstock (probably the most common one out there, "Domestic Apple Seedling") and then use that as the foundation for grafting on the different varieties you run across that you find interesting. The DAS rootstock is a full-size tree, so you can graft anything onto it and it will grow genetically true fruit to the tree you took your scion wood from. It sounds rather simple, and the most difficult part is learning how to make good, survivable grafts. Best to learn how to do as many as you can find. I know how to do several, but use the whip-and-tounge most often. Bud grafts are useful for later in the season and when you don't have good scion wood caliber match. As to learning how to graft well, I found it was best to be taught. I met a kid who is quite the master at it a few years ago and he has taught me well in the art.

Getting your cuttings should be done when the trees are well into dormancy (late December or through January). Then pack them in wet paper towels and a plastic ziplock bag then put it into the fridge until spring. You can also graft green wood and buds straight off in the spring, but being successful is difficult for me. Look through Youtube for some videos on it.
Does using a common root stock make the tree more susceptible to disease?

And the apples my neighbor had turned a really strange blue when ripe. Those were some good apples.

Thanks for all the info!

Old 05-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #572
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8202 Times on 4737 Posts
Likes Given: 10560

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Does using a common root stock make the tree more susceptible to disease?

And the apples my neighbor had turned a really strange blue when ripe. Those were some good apples.

Thanks for all the info!
All developed rootstocks are designed to be disease resistant. That is the express purpose of having a rootstock that is different from the grafted tree. Loot at the Greenmantlenursery.com website under rootstocks (its a sub category of Apples) and there are different stocks for different growing conditions. You can actually use a different fruit rootstock entirely. For instance, you can use quince to grow apples if you have poor, wet soil.

Next winter pleas get me some scion wood from the neighbor's tree if you can!that sounds interesting!

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #573
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade

Smart ass....
Well, far better than a dumb ass, Shade! ;-)

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Shade Likes This 
Old 05-08-2013, 05:10 AM   #574
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Next winter pleas get me some scion wood from the neighbor's tree if you can!that sounds interesting!
I've been thinking that every since I decided to plant some apple trees. I just hope that tree is still alive?

Old 05-09-2013, 05:11 AM   #575

Quote:
I've been thinking that every since I decided to plant some apple trees. I just hope that tree is still alive?
Is it local? I would check on it if it is. Maybe do some guerrilla gardening and sneak a cutting if the homeowner won't let you have one. (I do this not infrequently).

There is a cutting I would like to get one day and I just haven't has the balls to do it yet. Phyllostachys heterocycla, or Tortoiseshell Bamboo. Looks cool as hell. I don't have any bamboo plants of any kind yet as it can be troublesome due tot he fact that many varieties "run" with abandon, so it spreads like wildfire if you aren't careful. It is also not native, and I prefer to grow either native ornamentals or functional/edible non-natives. In any case, here is a pic of the P. heterocycla
kikko-chiku-tortoise-shell-bamboo.jpg  

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
TLuker Likes This 
Old 05-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #576

Oh, and the P. heterocycla is pretty rare and expensive here in the US. But I know where some is growing.

Quote:

Old 05-09-2013, 05:28 AM   #577
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Is it local? I would check on it if it is. Maybe do some guerrilla gardening and sneak a cutting if the homeowner won't let you have one. (I do this not infrequently).

There is a cutting I would like to get one day and I just haven't has the balls to do it yet. Phyllostachys heterocycla, or Tortoiseshell Bamboo. Looks cool as hell. I don't have any bamboo plants of any kind yet as it can be troublesome due tot he fact that many varieties "run" with abandon, so it spreads like wildfire if you aren't careful. It is also not native, and I prefer to grow either native ornamentals or functional/edible non-natives. In any case, here is a pic of the P. heterocycla
It is sort of local. It's in the same county just on the other side, and it's like the tree mentioned - not particularly easy to get to.

It's one of those things I've been meaning to do but you know how that goes. And good for you for trying to stay with native varieties. All though that bamboo would make a great landscaping touch!

Old 05-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #578

Quote:
It is sort of local. It's in the same county just on the other side, and it's like the tree mentioned - not particularly easy to get to.

It's one of those things I've been meaning to do but you know how that goes. And good for you for trying to stay with native varieties. All though that bamboo would make a great landscaping touch!
Yeah, the apple I mentioned is a three hour drive away from me here and then I have to hike around a large old orchard trying to remember from over 30 years ago. And this has to be at the right time of year too. Probably why I haven't done it yet. The property where we used to spend out summers may very well not be owned by the same family too. I know that the people who hosted us there are all long dead now and I have no idea if the family still owns it. In any case the orchard was owned by another family- who may also have passed on now.

Quote: