What have you done lately for Preps? - Page 56
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #551
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default lol...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8oldguy View Post
I bought 3 cans of SPAM tonight. I'm ready for anything, bring it on.
Believe it or not, the locals around here use spam when juggin for cat fish, the meat ratio goes up. And if the fish ain't biting you can all ways eat the bait...............

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 05-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #552

Liked 1133 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 740

Quote:
Just do it!
LOL!! You must not be married!

Quote:
Best time to plant a fruit tree is 20 years ago. Second best time is now.
Agreed. But we have only been here 4 years. These trees hadn't been taken care of in a long time. We were going to see if we could get them back. Now, after a couple years and a big October snow storm that broke tons of their branches, I doubt it. Plus, these things are the old trees, and have grown to 40' high or so. Nearly impossible to take care of, at least with our means and equipment.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:55 AM   #553
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Can't see the forest................

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
What I have done lately, is think. And try to convince the wife. So far, other than guns and ammo, I have not made any preps. But, I have been considering fruit/nut trees. We have 11 VERY old, unproductive apple trees that are at the end of their lives. Sad, because old things are cool. They are a super pain, and we don't get anything useful from them. I'd like to remove them, and plant new fruit trees, and as many different nut trees as will grow in the NE. This would give you a sustainable source of food. I'd like to get on it ASAP, because it takes a while for these trees to start producing, and then more time to reach full productivity. But I have to convince the wife first.......
Apple trees you say, most people I know that do a lot of BBQ, and smoked meats would remove the trees for you. Apple wood is one of the best woods to use............

Old 05-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #554

Ohh, yes, I'm aware. Who says I don't want it for myself? LOL Although this particular thought hadn't occurred to me this time around, I have done this before. The 1st winter we lived here, we trimmed the trees heavily. It created a huge amount of crap covering at least a third of our yard. which I didn't feel like picking up. So I put an ad in Craigslist. One guy came and took a pickup load, and another guy came with a small chipper and took the vast majority of the rest. Of course, prior to this, I had taken all of the nicer, bigger stuff out. At this point however, I'm not sure it's worth keeping. Apple is wicked knurly, and difficult to split, and stack. Again, maybe I'll keep a few choice pieces, but that's all. But yeah, I bet I could cover some of the cost of removal by selling the wood, huh?

Old 05-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #555
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Free apple wood..............

Run an add in the paper, See if you get any takers on removing the trees. Just make sure that if you do, put in writing, you are not responsible for accidents incurred on your estate..............If you were in my area the trees would be gone allready................

Old 05-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #556

Well, I'd put an ad in Craigslist. No one around here pays any attention to newspaper ads any more.....

Old 05-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #557

Liked 408 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 1465

Just picked dup an extra case of WRE and 3 more gallons of water.
Also made my 3rd buy of silver .
But haven't seen delivery yet

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?

Old 05-04-2013, 01:35 AM   #558

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

What is WRE?

Why silver and not gold?

Old 05-04-2013, 01:40 AM   #559

Liked 408 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 1465

Sorry typos bite again meant to say "MRE's".

As for why silver.. is because 1 oz of silver depending on the course can be between 20- 40 bucks worth.
So its small enough to use as emergency currency.

a 1 oz coin of gold on the other hand is worth 1400-1500.. rather too big to buy gas or groceries.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?

Old 05-04-2013, 05:39 AM   #560
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8850 Times on 5123 Posts
Likes Given: 11575

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
LOL!! You must not be married!

Agreed. But we have only been here 4 years. These trees hadn't been taken care of in a long time. We were going to see if we could get them back. Now, after a couple years and a big October snow storm that broke tons of their branches, I doubt it. Plus, these things are the old trees, and have grown to 40' high or so. Nearly impossible to take care of, at least with our means and equipment.
It would take some work but those trees might be salvageable. You don't normally want to prune more than 1/3 of the tree in one season, but if I had a tree that large I would go extreme on it. Top everything above probably 8 feet and see if it survives. Then the following year start getting the remainder in shape. Don't expect any fruit for a couple of years while you are being brutal with it. In the end though you would probably have a far superior tree. Some of those old varieties are hard to beat. I would just about kill for a good old tree that has a strong trunk and root system already established. You can graft on new varieties to the old rootstock too. The biggest challenge is finding a good rootstock.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.