Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 12:48 AM   #531
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 397 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I bought 3 cans of SPAM tonight. I'm ready for anything, bring it on.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

willshoum Likes This 
Old 04-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #532
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbarrel View Post
After reading through the list, I see water isn't popular?

I'm stocking up on dried rice, dried beans, water, ammunition, silver, tools, LED flashlights, and a number of other things. A savage 93 17 HMR is on my list of things to buy too.
Dark, do a search in the forums. We have whole threads on what each other has done about water! Because everyone has different needs and different resources, everyone is different. But since water is the most important thing next to air, most of us have already worked it out and are fully stocked. My wife wants me to make a rain catchment system to supplement our reserves - will probably be the next project.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 04-06-2013, 01:05 AM   #533

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

OK, I bought mylar bags, oxygen absorbers and dessicant packs to long-term store some bulk foods.

Tek, water storage is only as good as your ability to disinfect and/or purifiy it. Take care of that first if you haven't yet.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 04-06-2013 at 01:08 AM.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:07 AM   #534
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
OK, I bought mylar bags, oxygen absorbers and dessicant packs to long-term store some bulk foods.

Tek, water storage is only as good as your ability to disinfect and/or purifiy it. Take care of that first if you haven't yet.
Louis, that was very first! Several ways to purify already in place. Reserves came next. Now the renewable gathering starts.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 04-06-2013, 02:15 AM   #535

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Louis, that was very first! Several ways to purify already in place. Reserves came next. Now the renewable gathering starts.
Whew! So tell everyone what ya did in this regard. Then you can us about putting mesh and coffee filters over a garbage can as water barrel from your downspouts...

Old 04-06-2013, 02:40 AM   #536
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Whew! So tell everyone what ya did in this regard. Then you can us about putting mesh and coffee filters over a garbage can as water barrel from your downspouts...
LOL! Thinking of a tad more sophisticated system with cisterns and solar-powered pumps. This water is great for irrigating gardens, washing clothes or cars and can also be used to flush toilets in a SHTF situation. Just a little bit more sophisticated than the coffee filter scenario.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #537

Bought 40 lbs. (10 x 20-quart boxes) of America's Choice instant nonfat dry milk. Not nearly as good as Carnation but, for the money, it'll have to do in SHTF. On sale. $139.90. Makes 200 quarts. That's $2.80/gallon.

So, $13.99 5-gallon box vs. Honeyville Grain's which costs $14.69 plus shipping and only makes about 3 gallons. Of course theirs is in a #10 can, is flushed with nitrogen, and lasts 3-5 years. Mine is dated the end of 2014 but it'll last just as long once I repack it in a mylar bag with an oxygen absorber and desiccant.

80 calories per glass, 800 8-oz. glasses, 64,000 calories in total with lotsa protein.

Good points
•No saturated fat
•Low in cholesterol
•Very high in calcium
•Very high in phosphorus
•High in potassium
•Very high in riboflavin
•High in vitamin A (added, as is Vitamin D)

Bad point
•Very high in sugar (which is OK with me especially for our Rolled 6-Grain Cereal Mix).

americas-choice-nonfat-dry-175185.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 04-19-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:18 AM   #538

Liked 696 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I was shopping today and seen milk in quart cartons for $1 and they were not refrigerated! Expiration date was in 2014.
Like this but a different brand.
http://www.organicvalley.coop/products/milk/shelf-stable-milks/

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #539

Look like this? Parmalat is frequently found here and it as well as other irradiated milks are common if not actually the norm in some parts of the rest of the world. The US is a little odd in that after nursing kids are still fed milk and even adults often drink it and eat it (i.e. ice cream, shakes, chees on everything, etc.). A few generations ago doctors recognized it was linked to diabetes in adulthood.

Parmalat's shelf life is measured more in months, not years though. I've had it been clotted in the container soon after its best-by date. Expensive, heavy, as mostly water and takes up alot of space, plus doesn't last like the powdered stuff. But whole milk is always nicer and it's great for short term and recipes (where powdered skim-milk doesn't always do as great a job). I keep a sleeve of the little Parmalat 2% school-packs on hand mostly in case we open the fridge and are surprised we ran out of fresh milk and need it. Yum. We really only crack one open for coffee or tea in a pinch.

We have cans of evaporated milk* (half the volume as 60% of the water is removed) on hand for intermediate-term emergencies and it lasts longer than Parmalat -- a couple or a few years if kept reasonably cool.

By the way, we have lotsa cups of freeze dried coffee and coffee-mate -- that's a whole another subject.

*This is NOT the same as CONDENSED Milk which has a little water removed and about as much sugar added as it can dissolve -- been around since the US Civil War and lasts in the can quite a few years and is also an emergency preparedness option. I have an ahole sister who only uses it for coffee with her clown husband cause, ya know, having fresh milk and adding spoonfuls of sugar is too hard when you live in the middle of a major metropolitan area...

parmalat.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 04-20-2013 at 09:32 PM.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #540

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

Bought a propane gas powered generator,2 -100 lb propane tanks, rusher 10-22, 3150 rds of .22 lr ,300 rds of 30-30, 400 rds of .223,100 lbs of rice and 150 lbs of pasta.