What have you done lately for Preps? - Page 52
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > What have you done lately for Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 04:40 AM   #511
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1323 Times on 692 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock View Post
Calories per volume and weight rule. Balanced nutrition is important too. I do not subscribe to the "buy what you eat, eat what you buy" concept for extended timeframe preparation.
Matt,

Can you elaborate on this at all? I know that there are Coast Guard survival lifeboat rations that have vitamins, calories and, while being efficient, small and lightweight, taste like sheet rock. Changing the diet of a family during times of high stress could lower morale and cause even more problems than you already have piling up. I'm no authority or dietician, but would like some thoughts on which is better.

I was always under the impression that if you just stocked more of the stuff you eat every day, you just keep it rotating and as fresh as possible. Obviously, there are things you need to prep that that won't work with: Water, bread, fresh fruits and vegetables come to mind. Wheat berries and a hand grinder/mill are one of the things that you store to make your own baked goods, but keeping everything as "normal" as possible, like meals, would seem to be smart. Matt or anyone having a comment please join in!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 04-01-2013 at 04:43 AM.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #512

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I'll trade ya TekGreg -- 'fess up on exaggerating the size of that breaker bar and "axe" and I'll 'splain food Lucy.

PS: most ships' emergency lifeboat rations are actually pretty damn good tasting -- the ones I have and recommend are basically square lemon-vanilla cookies. One could grow very fat and happy nibbling on them with coffee. Short term only though -- they are not nutritionally balanced.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:10 AM   #513

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 229

TekGreg, those Estwing hatchets are the best!! They have been making them the same for 50 years.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #514
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Estwing, still all made in USA, Rockford, IL

Saw these in Farm and Fleet yesterday.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/774565-estwing-double-bit-axe-leather-grip.html

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/774566-estwing-tomahawk-leather-grip.html

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 04-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #515
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock
I'll trade ya TekGreg -- 'fess up on exaggerating the size of that breaker bar and "axe" and I'll 'splain food Lucy.
LOL! No exaggeration - not that I'm above it -but they sell three sizes made by DeWalt: 24", 36" and 42". My Home Depot was sold out of the 42" model, so I "settled." This thing will still dismantle a wall in under 15 minutes. :-)

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 04-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #516
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock
PS: most ships' emergency lifeboat rations are actually pretty damn good tasting -- the ones I have and recommend are basically square lemon-vanilla cookies. One could grow very fat and happy nibbling on them with coffee. Short term only though -- they are not nutritionally balanced.
These sound like a great temporary source of food. Do you happen to have an online source for these, Matt? I found a food source that sounded like it might not only be compact and balanced, but also taste good. It is located at: www.katesrealfood.com
I have not tried them yet and have no affiliation with the company, but they had a good write-up in a recent magazine article.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #517

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Not buying that's a 3' bar no matter what. You got the 2'. I'm tellin' ya...

Tek, I have no time right now or much going forward but a quick recomendation for balanced, compact, cheap meal replacements are 400 calorie protein meal replacement bars by MetRx -- "Big 100's" I think they're called. They are a little sweet to my taste but they are balanced carbs, proteins and fats. Add a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement. Thrive.

The Ships Rations are short term carbs and some fats -- I can't even remember which I've got but they are compact indestructible calories without salt to speak of. Good for a BOB in the car. VERY expensive to ship compared to their relatively low price -- they really are big cake-sized cookies after all, and heavy. You buy them in bricks of calories, i.e. 2,400, 3,600... Buy quantity with a friend. Are they from California? "Help" -- is that the name?

Old 04-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #518

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Duct tape. And nails.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #519

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Bought a 10/22 (like I needed another 22). Made a peep sight sight and a fiber-optic front sight for it today.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #520
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
Bought a 10/22 (like I needed another 22). Made a peep sight sight and a fiber-optic front sight for it today.
I have an older Ruger 10/22, but would love to get one of the new breakdown models. Only 20" long when disassembled - great for backpack.